Imalent        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baroutologos's Handcrafted - Rechargeable LED Hurricane Lanterns

Default Baroutologos's Handcrafted - Rechargeable LED Hurricane Lanterns

Hello there,

This thread contains presentation & discussion about retrofitting antique lanterns to powerful electric (rechargeable or not) LED ones.
    As thread evolves, so the technology, methodology and crafting practices do resulting in more refined finished artifatcs.

For a latest overview visit my blog http://rechargeable-led-lantern.com/

Cheers,
    Barou
    Last edited by Baroutologos; 01-26-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Much changed since then

Default Re: Baroutologos's Handcrafted - Rechargeable LED Hurricane Lanterns

I like the idea of using an array of many SMD LED to achieve high lumen in lanterns rather than one or a few high power LED.
    You should post photos of your lantern and provide the link to your eBay store.
    Or if your link is deleted by our overenthusiastic mod then PM me.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot manage here to post photos so i give an extern link of my lantern's photos as well as some indicative photos of during making them.

http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q775/baroutologos/

I live in Greece, so i made a listing to the UK ebay. In case you want to find it, just search at ebay.co.uk as "LED lantern"
    I guess i can to US but have not experience with that.

In case you have any other question. feel free to ask.

Cheers all, and keep darkness at bay

Just to post a couple of vids.

This is my new made lantern ΙΓ - the third of I series. 13inch tall, large globe and more warmwhite light, being a bit more powerful than the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Yxs...BMRfsQ&index=1

This is a vid of how i (re)place the batteries inside my lanterns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvuy...BMRfsQ&index=2

Cheers all

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baroutologos View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot manage here to post photos so i give an extern link of my lantern's photos as well as some indicative photos of during making them.

http://s1358.photobucket.com/albums/q775/baroutologos/

I live in Greece, so i made a listing to the UK ebay. In case you want to find it, just search at ebay.co.uk as "LED lantern"
    I guess i can to US but have not experience with that.

In case you have any other question. feel free to ask.

Cheers all, and keep darkness at bay

Love it! Great mix of old and new.

Question, do you find it dim enough at 10%. That still strikes me as relatively bright.

Semiman

Top shelf stuff, very impressive; I have a feeling there'd be a market for these here..

Hello semiman,

that excactly i had in mind. having a vintage looking item, yet outputing what contemporary electronics can offer.
    hmm.. , the dim is not dim enough huh? Hmm yea.. it can be said so since, in the dimmest setting is about twice more bright that a fully running petroleum hurricane lamp.
    By the way, this was made by hunch and personal preferences rather than asking. Feel free to give ideas

Nevertheless, i am planning a new model lantern, having fewer smd leds that can reach as much as 130 - 140 lumens per watt! A lantern running at 500 lumens at max setting is what i desire for now, having around 70-7 hours of service per charge (for the small 10'' lanterns and more for the larger ones). This is still in the wish list of course

ps: Thank you starthalo
    Last edited by Baroutologos; 12-31-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Banned

I would love this for camping and often the light is just for the mood or to make it back to the trailer and in the trailer often with others asleep. In those instances a quite low setting would be nice. I have a small lantern that is about 200 lumens but runs mainly in the 10-20 range as its enough for what is needed at the time.

Semiman

Ok, i will have that in mind. BTW, i make those lanterns with max light output in mind, knowing that, 80% of the time, the lantern is required to be on a lower setting, but when settling around or working or just doing about anything for that 10% of the on time, you really want a bright light.

I was thinking my next lantern series, to have a button that would allow a "boost" mode , e.g. whereas in nominal light output range 50-500 lumens in "boost mode" to be achieved as much as 1500 lumens!

What u think guys?

Can't find your listing for this lantern on eBay uk. Can you send me a link? Interested in buying... Are you using genuine Dietz lanterns as a base? Also check out Kirkman lanterns as an upgrade over Dietz.
    Last edited by Phaserburn; 01-05-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

I am gona have a site that will present there my lanterns soon.

regarding the chassis, nope, i am using chinese lantern chassis that meets my criteria as durable enough, tank diameter and depth to accomodate the electronics and battery holder etc. I really want to modify a Dietz lantern, but material costs will be considerable elevated.

In any case, those common brand chassis lamps have being reworked with epoxy putty giving a solid feeling, stregth and will endure hard knocks. In general lamp is safe as long as the glass is intact. If knocks in the lamp's body are hard enough to break the glass, then lamp chassis and internal electronics are in danger too.

Being said all that, anyone that will treat my lanterns with a minimum of respect should expect them to endure a lifetime. (Except batteries of course that in 3 to 5 years will need replacement)

Regards,

Now my blog is up and running. There primarily i would post my work, gallery photos etc. Of course i will make some entries and here.

oooooppsss forgoto the address :P http://rechargeable-led-lantern.com/

Cheers
    Last edited by Baroutologos; 01-12-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Great job Baroutologe, now how about some mild weatherproofing for light outdoors duty (in case of rain or high humidity). Do you think you will be able to make the lowest output even lower for the IΓ by the way? Also, is there parasitic drain when the light is turned off?

Μπράβο μεγάλε.
    Last edited by nik33134; 01-12-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Cool! Checked your site out. Nice job! Loving this project!

What are the specs of your LEDs? Are they heat sunk? What are they mounted on? What current are they driven at? I'm thinking they are running at very low current to keep them cool, and using many to achieve high lumen output. What is the runtime/current draw at max w 4 cells? It will run on one cell, so more cells only increase runtime, correct? Draw with one cell? The cells charge internally with your included charger? Where is the on/off switch? Does the fuel cap and wick control play a part?

How would you feel about building one if I drop shipped a Dietz or Kirkman to you? They are available with a frosted globe, so I would be paying for the lantern and frosting up front.
    Last edited by Phaserburn; 01-12-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Best Diffusion Film!

Hello phaseburn,

Those Leds are of superbright quality, typically 80 lumens / watt, clustered together 96 used, operated at 1 or 2 - 20mA current, and due to being so many they work air cooled.

Concerning the specs of the I series: IB and IΓ lamps draw some 1,6 amps at 3,7 volts (nominal) either being 1 or 4 cells current draw does not change. All cells are placed inside in an electricall parallel mode wheras holder requires them in a series look. Lamp will operate with just one cell , placed anywhere in the holder, lasting 1 2/5 hour or so at maximum setting. (good cell)
    The more the merrier when it comes to cells :P with a respective increase in run time.

Yes, cells charge internally. Once inserted to the lantern, there is no reason to take them out again unless they have expired after years of service.
    If you study the videos, the wick control is used for altering lanterns's brightness and serves as an on / off switch. Fuel cap is just for decor here.

Finnally, yes i have already undertaken a promise to make a custom lantern per wish specs. I can do that for you.

Cheers

* For more detals pls check your inbox
    Last edited by Baroutologos; 01-13-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Baroutologos

I'm working on a similar personal project and I'm stuck at the driver.

I'm looking for something with single li-ion input, in the neighborhood of 1.5A output and external current regulation as in a pot or some sort of a turn knob. Any ideas?

hello Evo,

Yes, the driver circuit can be a pain.. Mine so far consisted of a pulse width modulated 555 timer operating a transistor switching a custom transformer that meets string LEDs needs. Now i am going to experiment with dedicated LED driver low voltage ICs and Boost-Buck low voltage ICs for simplification of design.

Nevertheless, a circuit as simple as that in order to run your LED strings effectively requires basic knowledge and experience of electronics, soldering, some inspiration and the secesary tools. Of course having all those, trial and error cannot be avoided for novel projects, a procedure that takes me considerable time.

Li ions cell(s), have additional issues to tackle with, in contrast of an alcaline operated circuit, i.e. you need a protection circuit (under voltage, overvoltage, overcurrent) that exist readily, a charger and perhaps some fusing for additional safety.

My piece of advice is design your project in electronic terms, search the component values to meet your criteria, (usually the IC that regulates current works with a pot 10k or 100K are typical values) procure a breadboard, and start experimenting.

I see, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Any update, Baroutologos? I'd like to know how your lantern builds are going. Anyone get one of these built for them that can comment?

Best Diffusion Film!

Thanks for the concern phase

Soon, i post something of interest here

Quote Originally Posted by Baroutologos View Post
    Thanks for the concern phase

Soon, i post something of interest here
    Good. Look forward to it!

Best Diffusion Film!

Default Ledaddict's custom made Lanterns

Since i had presented my work here, i was contacted by member Ledaddict (Bryan), to discuss the potential of making him a custom lantern(s). An e-mail conversation was made
    in order to identify what it would to be created.

Prerequisites were,
    * a superior quality vintage hurricane style lantern
    * made to provide considerable luminosity (1000 lumens+) with full dimming capability
    * robust in making destined to hold in time