The Opera Light (Prototype)

Otokoyama

Enlightened
The Micro Illuminator has been my EDC. But, heck, it just ain't quite stylin' other than in a wonderful functional way. Also, I would prefer a more runtime than provided by AAAs, not that I've ever had the slightest problem with the Micro Illuminator's runtime. So, I played Dr. Frankenstein and removed the converter / emitter board and lens, and made a 1AA "Opera Light". The intent of this light is to be a somewhat fashionable way to find your seat at the opera or theater.
Opera1.jpg

This is nothing more than a brass tube inside a inlace acrylester sleeve. The heart of this is the threaded (80 tpi) emitter / converter / reflector / heatsink module (pictured) that screws into the brass tube. A similarly threaded switch module screws into the other side of the tube and it's done.
OperaModule.jpg

Here's the Opera Light compared to a CMG Infinity Ultra. The switch is a simple, handcrafted, spring-loaded momentary on push button.
OperaCompare.jpg

One change I would make is to put metal or plastic collars on both ends since the acrylester will likely chip the first time this light is dropped. Also, the 45 degree flood reflector results in a slight hole in the beam, so for flood I'd go with a 35 degrees off axis flat reflector instead, or alternatively for throw and use a parabolic or optics. Lastly, for finding a seat, red might be a better color.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Very nice and stylish light for the Opera, maybe you should call it the Christine because of it petite size.

Sarah was very thin at that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later

Sway

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Otokoyama said:
Even Patton had ivory grips!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lavender ones? Okay, make mine White ivory, then...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Nice!! (My lathe at work only goes down to 64tpi which precludes using all that nice and available thin wall brass tubing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .)

Larry

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Actually, I didn't thread the brass tubing as deep as you should (only about .008"), counting more on the number of threads than the depth for strength. The insert, on the other hand, was fully threaded since it needed sharp crests. 64 tpi probably would have worked. The 80 tpi threading was a big part of this prototype.