Rubbing The Lens Question...

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
...WITH FINGERS!.

ok- hi I have the PD32, and with the Lens, How should that be looked after?. I mean I know someone at work with a normal PD32, and they are always rubbing over the Lens with their finger to remove dust particles :mad: I try not to do that in case any such coating rubs off eventually or so, and not to really, if anything, scratch it or something.

is it ok to rub the lens like that as I am told it needs a deep scratch or deep rubbing to have any impact on it.
am I babying mine too much?!. :(

just try to keep it clean with a lint cloth and camera lens cleaning spray.
:wave:

thanks.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stop rubbing the Lens,You will go Blind!

I use Eyeglass cleaning wipes that are already juiced up with some kind of alcohol and they will remove the slime every time.
I get them at Walmart of course.

Ed

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Micro fibre glass cloth is good or like a poster said eyeglass wipes.Never use detergent spec makers say.

Lightman2

Enlightened
I would not get that hung up on cleaning techniques for your light. Basically as long as whatever you use is clean and soft that is ok. Your chance of scratching a Pyrex or glass type lens is unlikely as they are very hard. More than likely over time a polycarbonate or lexan lens will scratch and even then it would take years of finger cleaning to create this and would slightly reduce the overall beam performance. I have seen old maglites that have had years of use and are scratched like this. Don't use fingers though, fingers hold dirt, grease etc. Shirt, tissue paper, toilet paper, micro fibre cloth, tea towel...all these should be ok.

langham

Enlightened
The main concern is not removing the AR coating because you paid for it. Since this is a work light don't worry about it too much, but at the same rate don't waist your money. All the eye glass cleaners are is 80% Water and 20% Alcohol just mix your cheap rubbing alcohol 50/50 with water and use that, this is the best thing that you can use. As far as what you clean them with just like the previous poster stated except I will add only use things that you would clean your glasses/sunglasses with. I would stay away from tissue paper as it leaves residue and dust. If you could get an old Oakley bag that would be perfect.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be different now but MY AR lens instructions directed me to have it face the bulb. Are the lens folk saying now to have it face outward??

FPSRelic

Enlightened
It might be different now but MY AR lens instructions directed me to have it face the bulb. Are the lens folk saying now to have it face outward??

Some lenses have that AR coating on both sides of the lens. I would suggest that if there were to be one side coated, the inside would make the most sense from a durability point of view.

I had a UCL lens I bought from Oveready that had a coating on both sides. I used those little alcohol swabs to clean fingerprints off it when it got dirty. One day I noticed that some of the coated had come off. More of it came off until it got to the point that I replaced it with a standard Surefire Lens. Having 99.99% of light come through the lens is great for a show your friends 1000 lumen screamer, but for a work light, I'd prefer something a little more robust.

tam17

Enlightened
Shouldn't both faces of the lens be coated to reduce light loss on both entry and exit (thus making it irrelevant which side faces the emitter)? I suppose that's the case with quality flashlights.

Cheers