4AA Xenon lights

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
pahl's post on 2/AA lights got me to thinking a bit. Years ago, I purchased a Smith & Wesson branded 4AA Xenon, and a bit later, a rechargeable in the same configuration. Great brightness, good beam, better than anything I had seen up to that time (other than my 6P-9P with the horribly overpriced Lithiums of the time). Used them, enjoyed them, and they went belly up, one with a broken switch, the other with dead rechargeable cells. (I superglued the broken switch for awhile, but alas). Don't have a clue who really manufactured them. I could not find parts.

Back to the present. I have a Propolymer SL 4AA Xenon. Nice. As good, or better than the S & W, better warranty, and I can find parts.

I don't own a Pelican, UK, etc., in this configuration, so y'all tell me your experiences with your favorite 4AA incandescent. I want another one.

This subject should be clean enough not to bring in any hot tempered personalities.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well.. my favorite 4AA light would be the PT40.. it's halogen rather than xenon tho..

as far as xenon..
i'd look at UK AS2..

there are reviews for both on Quickbeam's site.. www.flashlightreviews.com

they're both bright.. they're both waterproof (PT40 to 2000', UK ASP not dive capable).. their cost is both in the teens, i believe the PT40 is a shade cheaper.. both have 3 or 4 hours of runtime.. the UK ASP has lots of hazardous location approvals.. i think the PT40 is interchangable with another Princeton Tec light, not sure tho?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
JohnK
My vote goes to the Tec 40. You can get smooth or orange peel reflectors. They use PR base bulbs(lots of options). You can use alkaline, lithium or rechargeable batteries. They are waterproof and small enough to fit in a pocket. Last but not least they are bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Another vote for the Princeton Tec Tec40 (aka PT40). Light weight, durable, and loads of bulb options to play with. I like the textured reflector. Nice beam pattern, and still plenty of throw.

Some earlier PT40/20 lights had trouble working with NiMh rechargables due to the flat contact at the base of the light (no springs). The new one I picked up a few weeks ago works fine with rechargables, so it looks like they may have fixed this (or I just got a "lucky" one).

I also have a PT20 2AA version with a monster 2.2V 2A lamp that is as bright as (if not brighter than) my PT40 at about half the size & weight. Run time on this is not as good though (about an hour with GP2000 NiMh).

The UK AS2 is nice as well, but it uses a custom bulb/reflector module, which means major surgury if you want to play with different lamps. It does have a nice one-hand switch, though.

Aloha, iG

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose the PT40 myself. I swapped out the stock bulb for one of the new Mag 4C/D bulbs. Brighter, and the beam was quite a bit cleaner. I chose this over the UK mostly because it was in my face the last time I stopped by REI, and the bulbs are easier to find than the UK's.
It's a very nice light, especially for just $18.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican 4AA Stealth Light has a thumb-switch and a very tight spot - if that's what you need. They make different lamps for rechargeables or alks. The Poly Pro has a nice feel but a ringier, wider, beam with the xenon lamp.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4-AA stealth light. It is so sturdy you could drive a truck over it. It has a very bright tight hot spot, too tight except for certain circumstances. I bought it because of it's extensive safety ratings.

I also have the UK Mini-Q40 this has to be the smallest 4-AA light out there. Again it has a very bright hotspot also but overall a better beam than my Stealthlight. UK has a very similar version with a switch instead of the twist head for the same price.

I had a Tec40 at one time but lost it, I really don't remember how it's beam was.

I wouldn't mind trying the Streamlight Propoly Incandescent or LED version. Also Keohler has the 4-AA Responder it looks nice as well.

Heck you buy them all from BrightGuy a sponsor here for about $130

You know the motto here...."Buy them all"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif GregR

fivebyfive

Enlightened
PT-40 for me.
1)I can change the stock bulb to the kpr-103 making it almost as bright or brigther than a g2 or scorpion.

2)Good,wide, and clean beam because of the dimpled relfector.

3) It's waterproof and durable.

4) Nice and compact.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I have the K-BS-LSI 4AA Responder. Has been fed NiMH for several months. The clickie tailswitch is similar to the Kroll in feel and travel. Beam is very tight, beam quality is poor-- I'll have to open it up, but it's either a partially-faceted reflector or completely smooth.

I just have a lot of SF lights and wanted a cheaper one with a tailswitch. I use this one as the house lender light, since it's feels nigh on indestructable and runs off NiMH.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
I also like the Tec40 for the same reasons others listed above. Waterproof, has an orange peel reflector, and uses common PR based bulbs.

I also have a Stealthlight. I replaced the stock lamp module with a SuperSabreLite 3C lamp module and power it with NiMHs. With Writeright on the lens it gives a tight but still very nice beam that throws far and is whiter than my other incandescents.