Fenix "Side Switch in the Head" User Interface - Good or Bad?

ynotCCW

Newly Enlightened
So what do the knowledgeable flashaholics on CPF think about the Fenix "Side Switch in the Head" User Interface? I've been using a PD30 R5 (no side switch) for a couple of years and have grown so used to that interface I'm having trouble adjusting the a new PD32 T6 that I just bought with a side switch.

Here are my initial concerns with the side switch:

1- After you use your thumb to turn the light on via the tailcap, it is difficult to find the side switch. You also have to reposition your grip on the light to operate the side switch; meaning that you grip the light from the end in a tactical manner to turn the light on then have to grip the barrel and feel for the side switch to change light levels. Then you have to change back to the tactical grip to turn the light back off. This seems like a lot of unnecessary handling to me.
2- It is difficult to know what light level you are on, you have to cycle through and try to count up to the desired level. So I cycle through until I find the lowest output then click 2-4 times to get the light level I want.
3- If you turn the light off with the light level at a high setting, then want to start the light in a lower setting (to preserve night vision), you can't! You can only adjust the light level with the light ON. I carry my lights on HIGH just in case I need to use it in a defensive situation, but usually need the light to read papers or find something in the cab, if the light comes on full brightness, by the time I adjust it down, my night vision is destroyed.

I heard other reviewers rave about the PD32 T6 Ultimate but I'm not that happy so far... What do the truly knowledgable users think about these issues?

Any recommendations on single 18650 (AW 3.6v 3400MaH) light with a better interface?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've had problems using side switches with relatively small lights, but don't seem to have that problem with a larger bodied light such as a mag D's or C's. Just my observation.

Bill

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I don't have any Fenix side switch lights but I have a LD40 with similar UI.

For me this is not a good UI for the same reasons that you mention:

- Need to change grip from on/off position to mode change position (side switch lights, LD40 has both switches in the tail)
- If you don't remember what level you used last you don't know what level it will start in.
- You must switch on light first to select level.

I think Fenix is very good otherwise and I know a lot of people like mode memory so for them it's probably a great light but not for me, I would have preferred the old UI of the PD30.
The EagleTac D-series looks good to me but I haven't tried it yet.
I'm not a fan of the TK41 UI either with mode memory, I have been close to buy one several times but never did because of the UI.

Edit to clarify:
It's not the sideswitch itself I don't like. I love Zebralight, the new EagleTac lights with sideswitch looks good and all the old lights from before CPF worked fine with sideswitch.
It's the change in UI from the old LD/PD series to the new with mode memory that doesn't fit me.
Since I rarely remember what level I used last time, for me: Mode memory = Start at random level
And then cycle through levels to find the right one...

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bad.
A protected tail switch is better. Side switches are prone to accidental unwanted activation.
Or a twisty would also be better. Side switch is the worst possible location.
IMO.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Side switches were used for decades and none complained. IMO, side switch is OK only if it's the ONLY switch and that it's protected from damage and accidental activation (recessed button, LOTC or some way of electronic protection i.e. "soft" lockout). Not all flashlight users are comfortable with tail switch and overhand grip.

It's a true fail if you have to to turn the flashlight on with a tail switch, then change grip and select the proper mode with a side switch. In other words, dual switches are PITA if both switches don't have the same functions.

Cheers

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E series have the side switch only but the PD and LD have both the tail switch and side switch for modes only so they are tough to have come on accidentally.

I mainly carry a ZL though if I am worried about this as I can reliably turn on in low if needed.

And the ZL SC600w is a great 18650 light for me.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
1- After you use your thumb to turn the light on via the tailcap, it is difficult to find the side switch. You also have to reposition your grip on the light to operate the side switch; meaning that you grip the light from the end in a tactical manner to turn the light on then have to grip the barrel and feel for the side switch to change light levels. Then you have to change back to the tactical grip to turn the light back off. This seems like a lot of unnecessary handling to me.

You don't have to change your grip. Use your thumb to operate the tailswitch; use your little finger or ring finger (depending on the flashlight model and your hand size) to operate the side switch. Use the clip to index your grip so that the side switch is always in the correct position under the little finger or ring finger.

ynotCCW

Newly Enlightened
Excellent Suggestion! I tried it and it worked. It's a little hard to feel the side switch with my little finger but with practice... Much better than switching hand positions, Thanks.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to change your grip. Use your thumb to operate the tailswitch; use your little finger or ring finger (depending on the flashlight model and your hand size) to operate the side switch. Use the clip to index your grip so that the side switch is always in the correct position under the little finger or ring finger.

I was wondering if that would work, myself. I'm a huge proponent of separate switches -- one to control on and off, a different one to control mode. It seemed like you could control the Fenix with a little finger, but not having one, wasn't sure if it'd work. I imagine the one pain might be, if you just want to use the light quickly, it might be a pain to adjust the light so the side switch is under your pinky in the first place. Olight used to have a light (maybe they still do) with the side switch on the tail, so you'd press it with your index finger...

markr6

Flashaholic
I like the side switch. It may be a bit more work to change modes, but it's WAY better than cycling thru a million modes to get to the one you want. Sold my LD10 cause it drove me insane..."Hey wait turn that back on"...oops its on LOW again. click click click.....off...."gimme some light over here"...click click, "brighter"..click click. Opps thats the SOS, low....medium. ARRRRGH!!! Plus, for Fenix lights the side switch brings momentary activation, something I must have! Shame on them for not allowing it to tail stand by a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of an inch...completely idiotic

Darragh

Newly Enlightened
I personally really like the side switch on the LD22, I find it very easy to use, I think a lot of people have the wrong end of the stick though, the side switches he is talking about are to control the mode, the Fenix lights still use the tailcap switch for on and off.

Jaybird

Newly Enlightened
In the case regarding the PD32UE, I don't find changing the grip a big deal at all. The light is small and narrow enough that I find I can make the transition quite easily.

I also have a TK22 and find it a little more difficult to make the switch as the tube is a bit thicker but still not a big deal. I feel these are more petty differences to me.

I like the side switches... +1

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it with my PD32UE. The possibility to rapidly press the tailcap switch with momentary on without changing modes is good.

Last edited:

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
I can use the side switch on my TK15 R5 fine, if I get the grip right and can squeeze the switch using my pinkie finger.. Unfortunately that rarely happens. Most of the time I change grips from full grip to cigar, hit switch, and then back to full grip. Though I don't need to change modes very much at the moment.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally really like the side switch on the LD22, I find it very easy to use, I think a lot of people have the wrong end of the stick though, the side switches he is talking about are to control the mode, the Fenix lights still use the tailcap switch for on and off.

Not all of the Fenix with the Side Switch also have the Tail Switch.
On those models the Side Switch also turns the light on and off,just in the interest of giving correct information.

The E25 is one like that in my collection.