Getting back into rechargeables -- advice needed

loonybin

Newly Enlightened
After having a poor experience with Energizer NiMH batteries a few years ago (2450mAh ones), I gave up on using rechargeables. After reading more here, I've figured out that I basically killed them with the rapid chargers that they came with.

Now, the wife and I have more kids (7 boys) with more electronics and whatnot, so getting back into the rechargeable scene is becoming a necessity. This time, I'm going with good batteries and I know to get a good charger as well. I've tried to read as many of the various and sundry threads, posts, shootouts, stickies, articles and such, and my mind is now swimming with information.

OK, drowning would be more accurate.

What I've taken away from my reading is that I basically want Eneloops and/or Imedions and a good charger with individual cell capabilities. The battery needs in our house are quite varied, however, so I don't know if we can get by with a one-size-fits-all approach. I like the features of the Maha MH-C9000, but with the number of kids we have and all their toys, 4 xbox controllers, etc., would a 4-cell charger actually work for us? I could probably afford two of the Lacrosse BC-700 chargers if those are good ones.

Our battery devourers:
  • xbox360 controllers (approx. 20hrs/wk total amongst all the boys and myself)
  • Logitech MX laser mouse (battery hog!) and keyboard
  • TV/stereo/blu-ray remotes
  • kid toys (ags 3+)
  • digital camera
  • wall clocks

Battery candidates for purchase:
  • Eneloop 1500s
  • Eneloop XX
  • Imedion 2400mAh
  • Eneloop AAAa

Chargers in consideration:

Any insight and advice y'all could give would be greatly appreciated!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Maha C9000 and a LaCrosse B-700 at the same time, earlier this year and I'm glad that I have both. I also bought a nice assortment of boutique NiMH cells, from LSD Eneloops, GP ReCyKos and Imedions, to HSD Sanyo 2700s and AccuPower 2900s.

I do have some of the Energizer 2300 AAs and 900 AAAs, that I also use (abused) with a 15min charger, but the 2300s do get decent marks, however they're not any cheaper than Eneloops.

If I could start over, I'd just get the Enloops and forgo the larger capacity cells, but I guess if you're charging them up every day, or two, due to use, then you might get a bit more time from the hicaps, before charging is needed, so it might depend on your needs--high capacity vs. low self discharge?

I think Maha makes the 808M charger, which is an eight bay AA/AAA/C/D smart unit, but they're close to $95, tonight when I checked.

What about two of the AccuPower IQ328s for about $35 each? Similar to the BC700, but a bit ceaper than the MaHa 808M and the BC 700/1000s? They're pretty flexible and would get the job done.

Chris

Last edited:

asval

Newly Enlightened
There are plenty of decent chargers on the cheaper range, I use the Australian version of the duracell CEF23DX4N charger I bought from schnoop for $11 with 2 blacktops included. The expensive chargers are nice if you have a large collection of batteries that you'd like to keep for a long time since they have the ability to condition cells. Maha Powerex MH-C808M is nice if you ever decide to get D cells.

The normal eneloops have longer cycles than the XX ones, 1500 vs 500.

loonybin

Newly Enlightened
If I could start over, I'd just get the Enloops and forgo the larger capacity cells, but I guess if you're charging them up every day, or two, due to use, then you might get a bit more time from the hicaps, before charging is needed, so it might depend on your needs--high capacity vs. low self discharge?
I don't need the low self-discharge, per se, but the high number of recharge cycles, which seem to be best with the eneloops. I would not be surprised if I am charging some every few days, especially the ones in the controllers since they seem to chew through batteries. I suppose I could buy 4 or 8 XXs/Imedions for the controllers and regular eneloops for everything else. The question is which ones would work best for the controllers -- regular eneloops, XXs, or the Imedions?

What about two of the AccuPower IQ328s for about $35 each? Similar to the BC700, but a bit ceaper than the MaHa 808M and the BC 700/1000s? They're pretty flexible and would get the job done.

Chris
:thanks: I was not aware of the Accupower charger. It does seem to do most of what I would want (minus the break-in cycle of the MH-C9000), and I can get two for less than the MH-C808M. or even the -801D. I definitely need to research that one.

There are plenty of decent chargers on the cheaper range, I use the Australian version of the duracell CEF23DX4N charger I bought from schnoop for $11 with 2 blacktops included. The expensive chargers are nice if you have a large collection of batteries that you'd like to keep for a long time since they have the ability to condition cells. Maha Powerex MH-C808M is nice if you ever decide to get D cells.

The normal eneloops have longer cycles than the XX ones, 1500 vs 500.
If I ever manage to get a trail cam, I just might need some D cells. As it is, I have nothing that uses them. I do plan on keeping batteries for a long time, so being able to recondition cells is something I want. We're on a tight budget, so this endeavor really is an investment with hopes of future savings on alkalines (and even lithium primaries!)

The one thing that concerns me somewhat about the MH-C808M and the -C801D is that they appear to charge AAs at 2.0A, which seems high. I'm hoping that is just the rapid charge, and the "soft" charge is around 800-1000mA.

I wonder how long it would take me to go through 500 charge cycles with the XXs -- if I only charge them twice each week, it would take me not quite five years to get all 500, right? Assuming that Sanyo's marketing department is a typical marketing department, you can figure that real-world use won't won't result in 500 cycles. Even if I get 300 cycles, that would be almost three years.

Would the extra cost of the Imedions/XXs overshadow any performance gains by the higher capacity? I haven't been able to really figure out any comparisons between the Imedion and XXs, so I don't know if those would be the better option since sitting on a shelf won't be a common occurrence with these cells.

Verndog

Enlightened

Chris

Excellent chargers! I own 2 now and build quality is better then my LaCrosse that died in 1 years time. They are also $29.95 on Amazon shipped right now.

keeftea

Newly Enlightened
i have an 801d and c9000. The 801 2amp charge is great for proper termination...you can charge at 1a for both charging and conditioning. i love both chargers

I don't need the low self-discharge, per se, but the high number of recharge cycles, which seem to be best with the eneloops. I would not be surprised if I am charging some every few days, especially the ones in the controllers since they seem to chew through batteries. I suppose I could buy 4 or 8 XXs/Imedions for the controllers and regular eneloops for everything else. The question is which ones would work best for the controllers -- regular eneloops, XXs, or the Imedions?

:thanks: I was not aware of the Accupower charger. It does seem to do most of what I would want (minus the break-in cycle of the MH-C9000), and I can get two for less than the MH-C808M. or even the -801D. I definitely need to research that one.

If I ever manage to get a trail cam, I just might need some D cells. As it is, I have nothing that uses them. I do plan on keeping batteries for a long time, so being able to recondition cells is something I want. We're on a tight budget, so this endeavor really is an investment with hopes of future savings on alkalines (and even lithium primaries!)

The one thing that concerns me somewhat about the MH-C808M and the -C801D is that they appear to charge AAs at 2.0A, which seems high. I'm hoping that is just the rapid charge, and the "soft" charge is around 800-1000mA.

I wonder how long it would take me to go through 500 charge cycles with the XXs -- if I only charge them twice each week, it would take me not quite five years to get all 500, right? Assuming that Sanyo's marketing department is a typical marketing department, you can figure that real-world use won't won't result in 500 cycles. Even if I get 300 cycles, that would be almost three years.

Would the extra cost of the Imedions/XXs overshadow any performance gains by the higher capacity? I haven't been able to really figure out any comparisons between the Imedion and XXs, so I don't know if those would be the better option since sitting on a shelf won't be a common occurrence with these cells.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Imedions and while they are labeled at 2400mAh, they're closer to 2250 in dealings. Still a bit more than Eneloops, but the jury's out on how many cycles one can reasonable get out of them. Same with the GP ReCykos, which are closer in capacity to the Eneloops.

You can find good, legit Eneloop 1500s for $30 per dozen shipped, all day long.

If you're going to charge them every few days, that's 120 times a year. Even the HSDs like PowerEx, AccuPower, and Sanyos will most likely give you at least 500 cycles, like the XX/Pro Eneloop 2500mAhs, so that's four good years.

Like I said, if I could do it over, I'd probably stick with the Eneloop 1500s, but I like fiddling with different things too.

Chris

Latest posts