• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler on modded KL4's

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feeler on modded KL4\'s

I have two or three KL4's coming in. My intent is to mod them with either 1W or 3W emitters and a downboy converter.

I intend to sell at least one of these. If anyone might be interested, let me know. That way I could mod to taste. I have some DB 700's and 1000's coming and also have some Q3J's and TWAK's.

PM me if interested. If it makes a difference, I take credit cards via paypal now.

PeterB

Enlightened
Re: Feeler on modded KL4\'s

Hi Tony,

I'm interested in a TWAK (probably DB700).
Any idea about pricing?

PM sent.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you throw in the KL1 circuit in there I may be interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

All of these KL4's are spoken for. I'll probably do more if I can find hosts at a reasonable price.

You can post here if you're interested.

Maximum

Enlightened

Received my modded KL4 (Q3J/DB1000).
Wow! Very bright and white, well focused and throw almost as far as my E2e/MN03.
Chop, you did a great (I should say incredible) work.
Thank you.

Christian

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Christian,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that you like the light.

paulr

Flashaholic

What's the idea here? Just to get more throw because of the smaller die?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,
The idea is that you can mod the KL4 with a 1W or 3W luxeon and get the extra throw. In cases where the luxeon is driven at 700mA, you also get double the runtime. The mod also generates far less heat than the stock KL4.

yclo

Flashaholic*

Because a KL1 doesn't have the nice shinny reflector, some of us get sick of seeing the square around the hotspot.

Trust me, after you see a 1W HD in a KL4 reflector you won't want to go back to a 1W HD w/ NX-05.

-YC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

yclo,
Have you been hooked by the reflectored 1W beam too. I can't lay off of these things. In spite of the cost difference between the KL1 and KL4 mods, I've found myself going for the KL4. The beam is simply beautiful.

paulr,
The KL1 is a very nice and cost effective LED head. It is also very mod friendly, but the beam of a modded KL1 will never be as refined as that of a modded KL4. The KL4 also seems to be able to handle heat better than the KL1 does.

If you are just interested in a utilitarian light and aren't worried about the artifacts associated with optics, then the KL1 is the way to go, although it does get really hot at anything over 700mA.

Oh, with a reflector, the problems of centering associated with optics, is almost a thing of the past. On the KL4 all you need to do is eyeball it and let the reflector do the rest.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop,

I would be interested in a modded KL4 head. I've been so disappointed in the KL5 and KL6 heads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif that to now have a KL4-form factor "throw" head is very enticing. Please let me know if you can provide the following:

1. 3W (TWAK?), good bin, good color. My KL4 is pure white and I'm spoiled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
2. Compatibility with the 1400mAh Pila 168S 3.6V Li-Ion
3. Driven hard, but not insane. Max useful brightness. I don't know if a DB or BB would be the appropriate converter.
4. If need be, I will buy the body as well, as long it is a genuine L4 body and not an E2E.

Thanks,
Wilkey

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will not be disappointed with a 1 or 3W in the KL4. The problem with a hard driven LED is that the forward voltage spans the voltage range of a Li-Ion. If you want full regulation, you will not get it with a Li-Ion unless it's fresh off the charger. When the cell voltage drops far enough, you will be in direct drive mode minus the schottky voltage drop. If you want full regulation, a step down converter coupled with 2x123's is the way to go. Another option is to use the KL1 circuit or a wizard so that you get full regulation with either Li-Ion or 2x123 but with the consequence of less power efficiency. I do get pretty good performance on a single Li-Ion but I keep mine topped off all the time. Remeber that at 700-1000mA, the Vf of the LED is over 4V and drawing that current from a cell will cause the cell voltage to sag some.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

CM,

I am pretty much completely ignorant regarding matters electronic. Are you basically saying that there is no circuit that would provide even 30 minutes of regulated output for a 3W? Wouldn't the native KL4 circuit or one of that type do the job? Right now I get almost 40 minutes regulated out of my L4/168S.

I just don't understand the difference between buck, boost and the Madmax/BadBoy/DownBoy boards. Surely one of these must fit the bill? I guess I just want an "L5.5-ish" type throw option. I probably would not run it very much, but woudl do so on my L4 body.

Thanks for enlightening me.
Wilkey

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cris,
How have you been faring with the Pilas in a buck circuit situation. I've found that I can't even notice it when the circuit drops out of regualtion using a pila. It seems that when the circuit drops out of regulation, the Pila still has plenty of juice to keep the light running bright.

I may have to test this more thoroughly.

I have a KL4 modded with a DB1000 sitting on my bench right now. Later on, I'll turn it on and let it sit and just come back an hour later and see.

BTW, if Pilas are you intention for the KL4 mod, using the stock circuit may be the way to go, as CM has discovered. This is the way I run mine, Thanks CM, and it runs great.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested in one of these, Tony.

I get confused when it comes to all these circuits and various Surefire LED lights.

I'm kookoo for these Lux IIIs. I've got one of Don's McLux 917s so onward and upward for me. I want a 1000 or higher next. I really like the L4 body and head, but I don't want another 5 watt.

BC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

There seems to be renewed interest in modded KL4's. If any of you are interested, PM me. I don't always check this thread and may miss a post.

I DO NOT have any hosts right now. The best I can do is mod KL4's sent to me. I usually get my L4's on B/S/T then sell the body and switches off. This made the KL4 affordable for the mod, so unless I can get an entire L4 for $110 or less, I don't buy them and there haven't been any for sale lately.

linearintigrator

Newly Enlightened

I too would like a III put into my kl4 head. Either stock electronics or a DB700. looking to get more throw with at least the same runtime or longer. I am open to suggestions, as there are plenty of highly qualified people here who know much more than i. dave