Spacer for flat top 18650?

cricoid

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here...searched but came up empty so sorry in advance!

I just bought an EagleTac D25LC2 clicky along with a Fenix 18650 battery. Problem is I didn't research hard enough and the Fenix battery's flat top doesn't work in the EagleTac.

I've seen talk of a magnet spacer that may enable the flat top battery to work? Can someone point me in the right direction?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
magnets from cheapo shops like dealextreme,

or put a solder point on Your cell,
or solder a copper/nickel/brass, ..., spacer onto the cell
(advantage: can not move, while a magnet might wobble around and cause a short - on very hard impacts and the right direction)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
As yellow has said - the issue with magnets is that of you drop the light on its side, the magnet can move, contact the body of the light and cause a dead short, leaving you holding a pipe bomb. Solder is good as it won't move (I have a bunch of cells that I've put a blob of solder on) but you don't want to overheat the cell too much when you're soldering :poof:

The BEST solution is to buy button top cells, then buy another light to use your flat tops :)

cricoid

Newly Enlightened
As yellow has said - the issue with magnets is that of you drop the light on its side, the magnet can move, contact the body of the light and cause a dead short, leaving you holding a pipe bomb. Solder is good as it won't move (I have a bunch of cells that I've put a blob of solder on) but you don't want to overheat the cell too much when you're soldering :poof:

The BEST solution is to buy button top cells, then buy another light to use your flat tops :)

Thanks kindly for the assistance. I already went route 2 and ordered some button top cells....I'll just buy another light that can use the flat tops. Is there an easy way to tell if a light is capable of using the flat top battery? How about a 4Sevens? I have a Quark AA and a Mini ML that I really like already, so I wouldn't mind picking up one of their larger lights.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of lights specify these days if they can use flat top cells. I don't know of any off the top of my head...