Streamlight Stinger XT vs. Sure fire 8X

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a more fair comparison then the ultrastinger vs 8X discussion. Both of these are about the same size. I have the Surefire 8AX. I'm fairly happy with it but have nothing to compare it to. I want to get another rechargeable light for a gift. How does the stinger XT compare to the 8X as far as beam brigtness, conformity, runtime and overall feel? I want the best light possible but don't want to go any longer(or really more expensive) such as an ultra stinger or a 9X. The stinger XT is less expensive then the 8X.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Are you referring to the SureFire Classic 8X or the 8NX when you say it's cheaper then the StingerXT?

I've found that if you buy like for like, the SureFire works out cheaper (by ~$10-$20). That meant buying a StreamLight Fast Charger and additional battery. I believe I added a spare X80 Lamp Module onto the cost of the 8NX because I wasn't sure if the XT had one encluded...

Although I have the SureFire 8NX, I don't have to StingerXT. I'd like to see some beam comparisons too.

AL

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have both the Streamlight Stinger (regular model) and the Surfire 8NX. Both lights are nice They are just about the same length and diameter for all practical purposes and the Surefire weighs just slighly less by an ounce or so. The Stinger has an adjustable beam and the 8NX does not. It is something that I have found I rarely use. The Stinger has an extra bulb in the tailcap which is really a nice feature because you always have a spare and the bulbs cost about $5 each to replace. The Surefire though has a much better quality beam with no imperfections and I would say that it is slightly brighter than the Stinger (from what I can tell-both with freshly charged batteries). Surefire bulbs cost $16-$19 to replace and you can't store an extra on the flashlight. The Surefire comes with two batteries so when your battery runs out you can just replace it with another and your light is never out of service. When the Stinger runs out you must place it on the charger to charge and you lose the use of your flashlight until it charges hours later (thats why I have two Stingers!).
The prices are really quite comparable. You can get the 8NX with two batteries and a rapid charger for $90-$120. The stinger comes with the one battery and you could specify the rapid charger for an addtional cost. Dollarwise, you are talking about the same amount of money give or take $10-$20.
Both are really good rechargeable lights that have a lot to offer depending on your needs and anticipated use. For ligher duty and more intermittent use I would use the Stinger . It has the ability to be left on the charger for weeks at a time just ready to go. I just leave mine on the charger these days.
The 8NX is better for a more regular sustained use with limited down time. They both last about the same amount of hrs per battery charge.
After using Stingers for 8yrs or so and the 8NX just more recently, I prefer the Surefire 8NX.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Update: I just re-evaluated the beam quality on both the Stinger and Surefire by the unscientific method of shinning them both on a large wall in the dark. The Surefire is definately brighter with a perfectly smooth round beam. The beam center is more pronounced and brighter. You really can see the quality difference when you put the beams side by side on the wall.

If you are going to give this light as a gift to a non-flashlight afficinanoto who will use it every now and then I would recommend you give the Stinger.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the very thorough analysis of the two lights. I will probably get another 8X because the light output is the most important factor and it is for a family member. Now the thought has come into my head whether I should get the 9N for myself and give the 8X as the gift. According to the specs the 9N high output lamp is not too, too much brighter then the 8x (140 vs 110 lumens) and it does have a shorter run time (40 minutes at high vs. 50 minutes for 8x). Brock's site has a pretty good start but I wish there was a site that had pictures of the light output for all of these lights compared to each other. The specs might not indicate a real big difference in light output between the 8X and 9N but in real life, there may be a significant difference. I wish there was an easy way to find out. Again, thanks for the response

Size15's

Flashaholic
Tim Flanagan has just taken this photo of his 8NX [top] and older 9N (original lamp)[bottom]:

View

And I quote:
"Both produce very white light but the 8NX (top) center spot seems to be broader to me. That picture is taken at 10 feet on a bright white, satin door (no flash of course). The only time the light yellows that I've seen in the 8NX, 9N or 10x is when the battery is nearing depletion and it's time for a recharge/battery swap."

From the Man himself:
--
Regards,
Tim Flanagan
Nor'east Knives
[email protected]

I hope this helps.

BTW, this was to help establish whether a 9AN Lamp was faulty because "FineFive" over at the SureFire Forum started this thread: http://www.surefire.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000392.html

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

GeePondy,
Also keep in mind that Surefire is going to be offering a high output and low output bulb for the 8 series lights in the very near future.
You will get the higher output you are looking for without having to purchase the 9 series light. Just purchase the higher output bulb for $20 or so for the 8 series. The output will most likely be much higher than the 9 series 140 lumens. The end result is you will gain more flexibility with the 8 series you already have.

I'm looking forward to the new bulb.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you're looking forward to the higher output Lamp Module of the 8xX, then I suggest you think seriously about getting the 8AX. The Pyrex Lens and Aluminium will hold up better against the heat.

I've found that both my 8NX and G2 are in need of more lube, but the new M2 and C2 are fine...

The opinion of Al.

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
I lost all of my flashlights due to a fire late last year
frown.gif
Last night the ups man dropped off my new 9AN and compared to my lost Stinger XT, there is NO comparison
grin.gif
I would give away the 8X and get yourself a 9AN. Today, mr ups brings me my E2, YES
grin.gif