LED equivalent to car high beam .. ?

steve-o2

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
Does anybody know of a high powered LED/lens assembly (or separate components) that are equivalent in brightness/ throw to a standard car high-beam headlight? (and hopefully will draw less current) ..
(will not be using this on a car)

Thanks !

-Steve

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's a rather low bar versus current LED lights, particularly the new crop of multi XM-L models; the Thrunite TN30 comes to mind, would easily overwhelm a car's high beams..

langham

Enlightened
I second the StarHalo vote and would go as far to say that it is more than 2 high beams. The average high beam is around 1200lm and is spread pretty evenly through the beam, while this light will give you a nice hot spot and a lot more. The new Fenix TK-75 also seems like a nice light to recommend. Are you looking for distance or overall brightness?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a rather low bar versus current LED lights, particularly the new crop of multi XM-L models; the Thrunite TN30 comes to mind, would easily overwhelm a car's high beams..

I have a TN-30, and although I havent actually compared it side by side with a car headlight, and I havent driven my truck into my living room to do any wall or ceiling bounce tests(LOL), and I have also never had anyone drive their car down the road with the headlights off at night, while I lay on the hood with my TN30 shining on the road ahead to see if we can see while driving(LOL), but I'd say the TN-30 is brighter on turbo....

steve-o2

Newly Enlightened
Thx for the replies you all! :] Do you have links for those products? --or i could google tomorrow (since there is a tomorrow now, lol) I'm searching for a substitute for a car halogen filament bulb reflector assy to replace it with LED(s) warm/natural -white and possibly a lens but need one that will draw far less current than the 50-60W (~5 Amps) Looking for 1-2Amps. Thanks!
And, Yes looking for good distance mainly, with a small to fair amount of ambient spread (enough to light up a close-by mountain-side) . (not using it for hunting)
-Cheers!

naiter

Newly Enlightened
standard car high-beam headlight, to me isnt that bright. A nice HID headlight or sportbike headlight are getting into quality to compete with. My EDCs are brighter as my cars incans.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve-o2

Newly Enlightened
I thought about HID but was worried about ballast weight. Looking for a flashlight that will weigh under 3-4 pounds and last a couple of hours of run-time with a 4AH gell-cell 12V battery ..
-edit--
I'm looking for something that I build myself.. not pre-made.. I need to plug it in to a charger that I have mounted on the wall, not take the batts out to recharge (my wife would screw that up and put them in bass-ackwards lol ) .. she's smart, but not technical, y'know .. /

edit#18 .. sorry I got the wrong section .. just found the modified/home-made.. will go post there .. thanx guys .. :oops:

Last edited:

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
It's probably not going to be long until they start making car headlights with LEDs. My Skyray King comes to mind. Ill just tape one of those to the front of my car. Lol.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the heatsinc would be the only factor that slows them from making car headlights full led. The tail and reverse light led's are already out. 1k lumens per headlight is hard to get in the existing holes of existing car headlights assemblies of most vehicles.
I tried the multi led ones on eBay and there 1/3 as bright to the eye as my low beam.

The TK75 easily throws twice what my hi beams do and is crazy bright. If I saw that shining at my truck at night I would probably end up in the ditch.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There are many cars that have LED daytime/"feature" lights, LED-only headlights are still somewhat rare. Pictured is the Acura RLX:

iJKk7BTca7e59.jpg

rioimmagina

Enlightened
The recent Ducati 1199 Panigale S has full LED lights!

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator: