Moving to Indonesian Wilderness- what to buy?

elm29

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
Newbie here and already addicted but need some practical advice. I am relocating to Indonesia, in a mining town and need to equip myself with a set of lights.

So, my question- given the following circumstances, what would you go for:
1. Got a budget of about US$200- but with a bit of flex
2. Electricity is stable but could go out on occassions. If so it could go out for an extended period.
3. There is a very small potential for some sort of tactical situation to develop (ie security issues)
4. Preference is for all lights to use the same type of batteries (may be difficult to get batteries so was planning to bring in a couple of boxes. If they are all the same it is less complicated)
5. There will be no local dealer so they need to be pretty rugged and reliable. Talking about a 3yr contract
6. Indonesia is hot and humid (not sure if that affects anything)

So what would you purchase?

Thanks
Matt

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
I recommend you take me and I will brinf the lights - I love Indonesia!! If it were me I would take a Surefire E2E and any surefire rechargable you can afford.

If I were seriously thinking tactical I would bring a weapon light and the gun to place it on. I love the USP 40 that sits on my hip most of the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ropes

d'mo

Enlightened
My wife lives in the very rural Philippines. I did a study on the most desirable lights to take on visits and came up with:

CMG Infinity - Long run time on commonly available AA batteries. Enough light for most tasks. Waterproof, and well constructed. An Arc AA would also fit the bill too.

Freelight - Solar. No need for batteries. Excellent backup light. Waterproof and good brightness, but the solar cell can be a bit fragile.

Arc LS, rev 1 with 1xAA, 2xAA and 123 tail packs(twisties, no parts to break) - Bright, runs on a single commonly available AA battery and packs a real punch with 123 or 2xAA batteries. I have yet to find a brighter single AA flashlight. In many cases, this is the only flashlight I use because of its versatility. It has been my EDC since the day I purchased it (I use it with a modified "fat" 1xAA holder that will take 1xAA, 1XAAA, 2xN and 1x123 and a few other goofy sizes). The only flaw is that this version is not waterproof. Newer versions are, but are not capable of using a single 1.2VDC source. Modify it with a high dome Luxeon and add a few gaskets for waterproofing and it can't be beat!

In my travels, I've found that the most difficult flashlight related issue is finding quality batteries. AA carbon zinc batteries can be found anywhere, even in the smallest corner "nipa hut" stores. D cells are probably the next most plentiful, probably because of the plethora of really crappy flashlights in use all over the world. 123s, button cells and almost anything else are usually quite expensive and can be very difficult to find. When we travel, I take a supply of 123 cells and rely on only regulated LED flashlights. This way, I get the most out of the batteries I can find, even if all that are available are carbon-zinc.

A second issue I've run across is corrosion. At high temperature and humidity, anything that isn't properly sealed will corrode. I've said this before, but of the dozens of M*9 lights I sent to my family, not a single one is still running and it's too expensive to send them back for "warranty" repairs. Besides, they would just fail again. Lack of internal chemcoating, less-than-perfect seals and use of cheap batteries will kill these flashlights in short order. The button cells in Photon II lights faired a bit better, but also corroded, particularly between cells and where the LED contacts the battery. I have not yet subjected a Photon 3 to this climate, but I suspect it would do a bit better.

Just my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

makar

Enlightened
e2e with kl1 and a box of cr123s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

e2e standard bezel for huge light output and the kl1 bezel for in/around the house.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It rains a lot at higher altitudes, so consider a waterproof light. Focus on AA batteries, most commonly available cells. You might have a gander at the Rayovac 15 minute rechargeables and the special charger they use. Bring a few spares too. Use LED lights so you don't have bulb replacement problems.

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I don't know if your budget will allow for this (maybe close or slightly over), but I think it would be wise to get a high capacity/deep discharge marine 12V AGM battery (800 amps MCA @ 30 degrees!, 34 lbs!!!, $129.99 like the following: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0014373015306a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0014373&catalogCode=ID&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true) to use as a main power source if you lose you electricity. You should float charge this batter off the AC in your home and consider a solar panel to maintain a charge if it's for "entended" outage periods.

All your smaller capacity batteries should be the same type of batteries like NiMH's or Lithium Ion's. You should invest in an appropriate charger for these smaller capacity batteries that runs off of your 12V AGM source. Maybe one of those computer "brain" type chargers used by the radio controlled car racing folks that can charge NiMH and Lithium Ions in a variety of cells.

Use LED lighting for lowest consumption of electricity and reliability. Even consider Luxeion 1 watters.

For tactical lights, I will defer to the experts here.

Also, consider a (600 watt or more) power inverter if you need to run any of your household items for short periods of time.

Good luck.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would recommend an arc AA and LSH-P with the TSP-2AA. get a twisty 2AA if possible....i've found that with frequent use the kroll can become flaky. the LSH-P never leaked on me once.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Matt, welcome to CPF.

I'd suggest:
Arc AA (LED)
Arc AAA (LED)
Princeton-Tec Aurora 3xAAA Headlamp (LED)
Princeton-Tec Yukon HL 3xAA Headlamp (LED)
UK 4xAA Worklight or 4xAA Mini Q40 Dive light
Pelican M6 2x123A for throw and tactical or security needs.

Pelican air and watertight cases for you lights and batteries. I keep silica gel cartridges in my cases to absorb humidity. When they change color you put them in an oven to "recharge" them. They work great.

Make sure you have information on how to order from Kevin at The Battery Station taped inside one of those cases. He has great prices and will ship lights, lamps, batteries etc...internationally...cheap.

BC

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to avoid lights that require CR123A at all cost, it is not easy nor cheap to get CR123A cells there. Unless you have plenty of supply. I know most CR123A lights are very tempting and well performers but if there's no battery lights will be unhappy.

Indonesia is a tropical country, you get rain all the time, especially during the rainy monson. Rust is your enemy you will want a corrosion resistance and water proof flashlight.
I used to live in a tropical country when I am young, I've seen how rust can quickly build up and destroy.

This is my first time to suggest someone a light, based on your locality I suggest that AA LED is the way to go, you don't have to worry when your bulb blows:

i)ARCAA ~$40
- good flood, closeup work, reading, very long runtime.
ii) Streamlight TwinTask 3AA Luxeon ~$40
- high power Luxeon, 28hours runtime.
iii) Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer LED Flashlight-Yellow ~$30
- good all rounder and backup light if the above fails,
155hours runtime.

Also some insect repellent, expect heaps of mosquitoes.

Vince.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indonesia???? Hey, i am an Indonesian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hmm, yummy, may i come with you too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yes, it is humid, and during the month of october through march, it is worse there. Humidity can reach 80% just about anyday. It is rainy season there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .May i knoe which island are you going to? mining town. is it Kalimantan?

AA, C and D battery is in abundant there. No CR123 or any other lithium, AFAIK. YOu can purchase the local brand (ABC alkaline) for cheap, more like half a dollar for 4 (and that is decent already).

Corrosion might sound a problem, but believe me, a well coated light like Maglite really does hold up there. Just remember to wipe your light dry whenever it gets wet by the rain.
Maybe you knoe this, but don't drink tap water. Even the water brought from the streets is not that safe to drink. If you can, get your own purifier. Btw, if you purchasing something of the street, make sure the seller and you agree on some set price, else, he will sell the stuff at 100 times the original price after you eat or drink his stuff.

Woops, mining town. is it Kalimantan?

For tactical issue, you will want to get yourself a baton-like light, more like the 5D or 6D mag. Electricity sure is stable, but when it is hiccups time, there will be no electricity for at least 4 hrs.

Also, i agree on getting yourself power inverters. The V is different there (220V). Adaptor and Charger are great additions too.
As for lights, Arc and Mag 2AA with sammich is a good way to go. You will need some far reaching light too however. Infinity ultra also a nice addition.

Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
btw, Indonesia has the best food in the world, IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
shouldn't have to worry about the voltage there...if i'm not wrong its the same as in singapore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you going to be able to get batteries there at all, or do you think you will have to bring all your batteries?

Are you going to have trips every once in a while, or are you going to do three years straight?

Any weight/size limitations? I assume if this is a mining town this isn't going to be a what-you-can-carry kinda of deal.

-john

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a ARC AAA D from Rothrandir! A ARC AA for ease of carry, A ARC LSH with 2AA Twisty pack, ANY LS + AA based headlamp and you're really good to go. Dang... I'm not advertising am I? Should you choose rechargable Nimh AAs to bring there, get either Sanyo or Panasonic. If you're worried about humidity destroying your stuff, get a dry box. Those camera dry box ya know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Can get a cheap one at Carrefour. Around $50 I think.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd, you guys have Carrefour over there too?

Ah ya, i forgot to see that elm29 comes from S'pore. Everything should be similar to your home country, except of course reliability, security and, hmm, nothing beats home's comfort /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yea, like Chamenos said, don't need to worry on the Voltage. Just get yourself a fast charger and decent AA batteries. LS and led based light is a good way to go. Arc D is good for those blackout times.

elm29

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the great ideas. Have a good selection to work from so that should keep me busy.

Looking forward to the adventure there. Been there before for a shorter term and had a great time. Get to fly out to SE Asia/ Aust every couple of months for a break so getting fresh supplies of batteries should not be a problem.

Best thing about is that I get to indulge myself in a whole bunch of new lights! (toys for the boys)

Cheers!
Matt

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
i)ARCAA ~$40
- good flood, closeup work, reading, very long runtime.
ii) Streamlight TwinTask 3AA Luxeon ~$40
- high power Luxeon, 28hours runtime.
iii) Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer LED Flashlight-Yellow ~$30
- good all rounder and backup light if the above fails,
155hours runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, since you still have $90US left in the budget, order an Elektrolumens Blaster VI or V! It's hard to beat a 5W Luxeon, whether driven from 6 AAs or 5 D cells (respectively).

Jon

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get the Blaster VI or V, then you won't need the TwinTask 3AA Luxeon anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. A super LGI 3W is also a way to go.

Vince.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
shiftd, we have starbucks here too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

elm29, if you want to have a cool light to play with, you might want to check out the surefire A2. i have one i and i like it a lot; the only drawback is that it uses lithium batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
Cam

I didnt know there was a starbucks in Singapore, must be an improvement since I was last there. Lovely place you live in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ropes