Any beamshots of the Malkoff XM-L dropin for mag?

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for 2 days but I can't find any beamshots of the Malkoff XM-L drop-in for Maglite. I even tried youtube. Has anyone seen any?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any beanshots of the Malkoff XM-L dropin for mag?

Thank you (missed the "bean" lol) I've been thinking about getting one for a 3D mad. Probably will anyway, I was just hoping to find a review. Thanks for the link.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is a great drop-in. I have it in a 4D though. I had an issue with my 3D mag where the switch had quite a bit of resistance. I couldn't get it to draw the full 2.6A like it could on the 4D.

It might be a good idea to swap the switch from the 3D to the 4D. According to the Malkoff site, if you are running on NiMH, running their drop-in on four cells rather than three results in NO increase in runtime or brightness. BUT there is a increase in heat dissipation (which they no longer mention). I've not looked into this or asked Malkoff about it. But it's possible that, by keeping the LED cooler, it might be better for longevity to stick with three cells if you're running NiMH.

On the other hand, if you are running on alkalines, 4D will improve runtime vs 3D.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

It might be a good idea to swap the switch from the 3D to the 4D.

3D switch has just about the same resistance as the 4D. Don't know if it was just the batch of Mags I got. Came in blister packs, cheap, on sale, etc.

LilKevin715

Enlightened

Just do a CPF search for Mag XM-L , Mag XML, etc. You will find plenty of threads with pictures.