an LED which switches from 4000 - 6500k in one LED Flashlight!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hello. was just wondering (maybe a bit too much), if there is an LED which can change Kelvin Ratings in one.

Imagining one going from 4000k, to 6500 as you choose & wish just with a press of a switch , or something. Imagine....:thinking: that would save a lot of buying new flashlights and switching from cool white to neutral just like that with one flashlight!....:laughing:

wonder if that will ever happen....
one day.

ok, back to the beer drinking....
thank you.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont understand the point/question?
:thinking:
f.e. I really not like the high cri 4000 K XM-L insert I have bought out of curiosity
maybe its better to type: I do not really understand all those cheers for that color temp with reduced output

the 5000 K XM-L insert eats the "warm white", high CRI, one with ease ...
so I have the feeling it is most important - for anyone - to find ones personal favorite
and then use only this.
--> no need to change color temperature
(what for?)

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with a three LED head, say: 3000K warm-white, 4500K neutral-white, and 6000K cool-white.
A custom controller which biases the current to each one, you could have variable CCT. But why? [I'd rather have 9 LEDs in a 3x3 grid: center xm-l2, 4 xp-g2, and 4 xp-e2 (corners). Use the controller to bias between flood oriented xm-l, average xp-g2, to throw oriented xp-e2. Electronic flood:throw]
Just use neutral. There is no real world lumen penalty. 1200 lumens from a 6000K xm-l2, 1100 lumens from a 5000K, and 1000 from a 4000K, 800 from a 3000K, 600 from a high CRI 3000K.
Just grab the highest flux in the 4000-4500K region, and be done with it.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi wow, sounds good that does. imagine.

thanks.

Well, with a three LED head, say: 3000K warm-white, 4500K neutral-white, and 6000K cool-white.
A custom controller which biases the current to each one, you could have variable CCT. But why? [I'd rather have 9 LEDs in a 3x3 grid: center xm-l2, 4 xp-g2, and 4 xp-e2 (corners). Use the controller to bias between flood oriented xm-l, average xp-g2, to throw oriented xp-e2. Electronic flood:throw]
Just use neutral. There is no real world lumen penalty. 1200 lumens from a 6000K xm-l2, 1100 lumens from a 5000K, and 1000 from a 4000K, 800 from a 3000K, 600 from a high CRI 3000K.
Just grab the highest flux in the 4000-4500K region, and be done with it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
hello. was just wondering (maybe a bit too much), if there is an LED which can change Kelvin Ratings in one.

Imagining one going from 4000k, to 6500 as you choose & wish just with a press of a switch , or something. Imagine....:thinking: that would save a lot of buying new flashlights and switching from cool white to neutral just like that with one flashlight!....:laughing:

wonder if that will ever happen....
one day.

ok, back to the beer drinking....
thank you.

Well ... Cree make an MC-E Dynamic White (2700-6500K CCT) 4-die LED with 2 warm and 2 cool emitters.

http://www.msc-ge.com/en/news/pressroom/newsletter/cree/nl/6968-www.html

Haven't seen any mods with one yet, though :shrug:

Last edited:

lensman

Newly Enlightened
Currently emitters have (mostly) a single color profile. As a side effect of changing the amps being pushed through them, their color temperature changes a little bit, but not a lot. But I think what you want is for the color temperature to change without changing the level. This is not how the physics of current emitters works. This could change in the future.

Also this is like the question of a multi-tool vs several single-purpose tools. It will tend to be that the multi-tool will not be as good as each single-purpose tool. If multiple color temperatures are achieved in the future, it will be achieved a the expense of one of the other factors - efficiency, absolute output, or size of the emitter.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Incan/Led combo lights already do a nice job of it though.

Latest posts