Ahorton aspheric lens kit in Solarforce L2P

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone point me to the instructions or a video that showing how to install the Ahorn asperic lens kit in a Solarforce L2P please?
I'm aware of the drawings and the video in Ahorn's sales thread but I think it might be different when installing the kit in a L2P.

Thanks.

Last edited:

MosesM

Newly Enlightened
Re: Ahorn aspheric lens kit in Solarforce L2P

It's only slightly different from ahorton's video. With the L2P, you remove the stock lens by unscrewing the bezel counterclockwise. You also won't need to use the extra spacer.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's only slightly different from ahorton's video. With the L2P, you remove the stock lens by unscrewing the bezel counterclockwise. You also won't need to use the extra spacer.

I'm wondering if you put the aspheric lens in from the front or from the back? If you put them in from the front the lens sticks out and the bezel ring can't be screwed in completely (the rim of the aspheric is thicker than the stock window). On the other hand if you put them in from the back there is nothing that keeps the lens in place. So, I'm puzzled. :thinking:

Last edited:

MosesM

Newly Enlightened
Re: Ahorn aspheric lens kit in Solarforce L2P

You put the aspheric lens in from the back. The pressure from the negative spring of the P60 module will keep the lens in place.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You put the aspheric lens in from the back. The pressure from the negative spring of the P60 module will keep the lens in place.

It is hard to measure but the diameter of the dome of the lens is ~ 25.40mm while the opening at the front only measures 24.65mm. In other words the lens isn't seated properly unless you open up the front. Another problem is that the bezel isn't sealed any longer.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahorn aspheric lens kit in Solarforce L2P

I smashed an oring in between the lens and bezel.
Put it in from the back.

Works GREAT BTW.

L2P

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I smashed an oring in between the lens and bezel.
Put it in from the back.

Works GREAT BTW.

L2P

This probably solves the problem of the dome of the aspheric being a tad too wide. I guess you didn't use the spacer then? What did you do with the original sealing rubber and flat plastic ring? Any pics?

BTW Merry Christmas to everyone! :santa:

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
U don't use the extra spacer.

Just remover the stock lens
Screw pill into reflector shaped spacer
Put aspheric into the head from behind
Screw it together
U may need to adjust the focus by screwing the pill in or out of the reflector shaped spacer.
Shine at a wall 5-10meters away
When properly focused u will see the image of the emitter sharply projected.

Enjoy!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah- I think it was the original rubber sealing ring I SMASHED in between the aspheric and inner bezel ridge.

It's not necessary to do this but makes it more water resistant.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah- I think it was the original rubber sealing ring I SMASHED in between the aspheric and inner bezel ridge.

It's not necessary to do this but makes it more water resistant.

Thanks for the info. An o-ring of the right size will work better than the original rubber sealing.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thin 28mm o-ring seems to be the perfect size. Now I need to figure out what emitter to use for the best results. Did anyone compare the old XR-E to an XM-L? I guess the XR-E will have a brighter hotspot and will throw more but the XM-L might be more useful because of the larger hotspot?

Last edited: