Pfishing warning for Verizon wireless customers

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
All,

Yesterday I received a phone call from what appeared to be someone in my local exchange (same area code and prefix as my phone) but he was clearly calling from India.

He claimed to be from Verizon customer service and wanted to "reward" me for being a loyal customer by offering free minutes or a credit to my bill. He only needed to know:

1) The correct spelling of my name
2) How many times I'd called customer service in the past year. (This was my first clue - Verizon already knows this)
3) My account password or last 4 digits of my SSN. (This was proof that this was not a legit call).

I politely declined, ended the call and immediately called Verizon customer service and told them what happened. I also gave them the number of the spoofed call. She confirmed that they will never call a customer and ask them for their account password so this was clearly an attempt at fraud.

I'm mentioning this here because this is a sophisticated operation and they will probably con some people into supplying the requested information.

Beware!

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a call a few years back from 'my' credit card company. They wanted to verify my home address and some other information. I told them, you have that on file, why don't you tell me what you have and I will verify the information. Click - all gone.

be careful out there..

Burgess

Flashaholic
Always a Red Flag warning sign:

" we just need to Verify your ADDRESS "

I always reply:

" Okay -- you tell ME what you've GOT, and I'll tell you if it's CORRECT ! "

:p
_

jimbofish

Newly Enlightened
Always a Red Flag warning sign:

" we just need to Verify your ADDRESS "

I always reply:

" Okay -- you tell ME what you've GOT, and I'll tell you if it's CORRECT ! "

:p
_

I'll have to remember that next time.

My red flag is when someone I don't recognise starts out by asking "How are you today?"