Best thrower SC52 or SC51

Lightman2

Enlightened
I have already asked this question on another thread but no one answered. I believe that the XML LED's being larger and with the current reflectors usually have lots of flood and not lots of throw. I have a SC51 which I like very much and have considered upgrading to a SC52 but would not do that if the throw on the 51 was better. So the question is ......... Does the SC51 out throw the SC52? If someone can do some distance beam shots that wold be nice. Obviously only those who own both lights could really answer this question.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not get the SC52 just because the XML is does not work well it a shallow reflector, but if you are planning to use a 14500 battery then it would be good.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have my SC52 for a week now- and it is an amazing light. It's not designed to be a thrower...I've got tons of other lights for that. This is my EDC...with the option of really cranking up the power for a short time if you use the lion battery. I can light my whole back yard up...how much throw do you want?

I am perfectly happy with the output on an eneloop. I use this light around home and at work. It's also plenty strong for outside work if I don't grap a bigger 18650 light. What I really like is the very smooth and large spot. I don't want a tight strong spot for close work.

I also like the very low low. Makes a great night light for my night table....I just point it at my water bottle and I can find that so easy now- and don't have to light up half the room!

I really like my XPG lights- but the XML lights are so much better for smooth even light- especially close up work.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think gordo is right the sc52, even at 500 lumens won't out reach the sc51. It'll throw a little less, the extra modes and efficiency still make the sc52 well worth it to get.

maybe when the sc52w or sc52d come out, if the led isn't an XML then if would be the best choice overall for you ;)

Lightman2

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will not be buying the SC52. AA lights are my favorite and the SC51 is a great little thrower. I know there might be a few other 1 x AA's that throw better but it is the side switch that really does it for me on the Zebra lights. Thanks again.

moozooh

Enlightened
You might also want to look into SC80 which can use RCR123 (aka. 16340) and, if you're lucky, 17500 Li-ion batteries for immense battery life at any brightness level. The LED is the same as in SC51 (XP-G), but the side switch is recessed deeper, so it won't turn on in a pocket. ZL has stated they wanted to upgrade this light with a newer LED in the nearest future, most likely with XP-G2, which will throw much better than both XP-G in SC51 and XM-L used in SC52.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
ZL are not Throwers, not even close. Of course more lumens = more distance, but they all have a very wide beam, perfect for EDC but not for a "search light" :)

If you like your SC51, keep it, an SC52 or SC80 won't make a significant difference in the throw criteria.
My Klarus ST10 or my Sunwayman M10A are better throwers, considering we are talking about 1 AA Flashlight.....

PS: I have SC51, 52, 80 and 600

Last edited:

Globi23

Newly Enlightened
If your looking for a AA thrower, the NEW Thrunite Archer 1A might be something. I just ordered one myself, cool white XP-G2, smooth reflector...
Already have the Flooder "Neutron" 1A. They both can use 14500. My Neutron is insanely bright!

Lightman2

Enlightened
Thanks Moozooh.

Thanks Nanucq ...... I have considered the Klarus before but for me the ZL's offer the best switching design.

LEDburn

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will not be buying the SC52. AA lights are my favorite and the SC51 is a great little thrower. I know there might be a few other 1 x AA's that throw better but it is the side switch that really does it for me on the Zebra lights. Thanks again.

SC51 is not a thrower, not even close.
If you think it is, then I think everyone else needs to rethink their advice as the SC52 will have very little losses in that regard over a SC51.

I don't own a SC51 but I do own an SC80 and SC600.
I have tested my SC80 against a SC51 and they both have very similar beam profiles and outputs - I prefer the switch and battery choices afforded by the SC80, otherwise they are very similar.

The SC52 has a larger reflector than the SC51/80 and thus any loss in throw over the smaller die equipped lights is virtually negated.
I just tested this to be the case to be sure. The SC80 and SC52 have very similar throw - so close, I don't feel confident I could pick the better thrower with absolute certainty.

I run 14500 (750mAh rating) in the SC52 and 17500 (1100 mAh rating) in the SC80.
The max on SC80 is very close to H2 172L on SC52. With the battery configuration above I got 1hr 10mins on SC80 and 1hr 20mins on the SC52.
Less capacity, longer runtime, barely any difference in brightness: SC52 wins!!
Turn on H1 in the '52 and you will grin immensely and may even let out an evil chuckle.

In short, the SC52 will not pose a significant increase in throw, nor will show much of a loss either though.
Where you will notice the improvements is in the runtime and outputs as you can have 500L and low modes that are MUCH MORE USEFUL. Well at least for me, the lower lows on offer really do make a worthy improvement.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
ZL are not Throwers, not even close. Of course more lumens = more distance, but they all have a very wide beam, perfect for EDC but not for a "search light" :)

If you like your SC51, keep it, an SC52 or SC80 won't make a significant difference in the throw criteria.
My Klarus ST10 or my Sunwayman M10A are better throwers, considering we are talking about 1 AA Flashlight.....

PS: I have SC51, 52, 80 and 600

Hi, is your M10A the xpg or xml version ? Since the M10A is approximately an inch longer than the SC52, I thought that longer length might mean that the reflector is sufficiently sized that it might be able to throw the xml beam farther than the SC52 can.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
My M10A (and ST10) is an XP-G, and you're right, the deeper reflector favorises throwing capabilities. I just wanted to say that if your looking for a thrower, there are many models more recommanded than ZL. But i also tend to think that 1AA Flashlights are not specialy a good choice for this purpose. My ZL (51/52/80) provide me a 60 meters usable throw (my SC600 a 100 meters) and that is more than enough for my EDC needs ;), combined with a great UI......:D

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for a old zebralight sc50+. Uses the xp-e led, and has really nice throw for it's size using 14500.
More lumens don't mean more throw. Usually it means less, because it means they just use a bigger led. Put 1W trough a small 1x1mm led, and you got "1w pr square mm". 1W on a bigger 2x2mm led only gives "0,25w pr square mm". Since it's bigger, (runs cooler,) and more effective, you prob will get more overall lumens out of the bigger led's, but the surface brightness will be way less than the small one. Since reflectors focuses on a point, and not all of the led, the led with highest surface brightness will have most throw.

Lightman2

Enlightened
So is there any chance someone might have some comparison distance shots of the SC51 vs the SC52 I can see?