Why Do I Love My Surefire 6P?

Tiresius

Enlightened
I can't seem to grasp the feeling why I love my Surefire 6P. It uses an old Soul P4 running at around 800mah with a 1x18650. I did the boring myself to clean up the scuff marks on the inside. The light is roughly 100+ lumens and has a 6500k+ blue tint. I love this light. No clicky and the entire body is scuffed. Yet, I still love it.

I looked up the forums and noticed that people have the same feeling with their C2's but not the 6P.

What I like? The feel in my hand and confidence of a solid light made well. Well, not precisely well...When I bored it, it was not bored perfectly centered by the manufacturer.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like your 6P is your old faithful.

Swap out the drop-in with one of Malkoff's M61 series and you will have a light that only a handful of others can surpass in reliability.

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
I looked up the forums and noticed that people have the same feeling with their C2's but not the 6P.

Because the 6P is boring. A Plain Jane, jack of all trades master of none, type of light. While this fosters the feelings youve outlined in your post, no one is going to start a thread claiming to be a 6P addict haha. Just my opinion.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
There is just something in the 6p that appeals to me i carry a stock 6p incan and a 6p led with Mclicky in my manpurse all the time :rock:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love all my Surefires. What's not to like about a 6P? They are awesome. And versatile. And endlessly upgradeable.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if its old and outdated, it is as useful as the day you got it. I don't own a 6P yet, but I do have lights with a similar, straightforward design and the appeal to me lies in their simplicity and reliability. Here's one of my favorite set-ups. An Elzetta with a low profile bezel and a twisty tail cap. Inside I'm running a Malkoff M60LL which should do at least 80 lumens for 8 hours (some say 18 hours). I plan to do something similar when I finally get a 6P.

ata2aja4.jpg

Last edited:

naiter

Newly Enlightened
Loving it!! My bro in law has a costco light with almost all the anodizing wore off (its easier to do with that light, lol) but whenever i see any that worn that much, i like it!! you know that light gets used.
the D25 and the surefire would both withstand many throws against a wall, but i bet the surefire would take a few more!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P is the old reliable truck. It keeps chuggin along no matter what. Or, it can be turned into a hotrod, restored, a turned into restomod or whatever else you want.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think You are a bit late ...
;)
I did this in 2004, but already with an XR-E (an never liked the P4) - it was (still is) an awesome light,
but XP-G and XM-L set it to rest, also the Flupic driver is a bit complicated sometimes.

--> 6P, overready bored, nailbender three level insert.
--> way to go now

PS: there is no SF model after the old, round 6P that has any really cool style. I miss them
The (quick bending on impact) and awful looking hex bezel is only used, because there is no better alternative ...

Last edited:

Tiresius

Enlightened
--> 6P, overready bored, nailbender three level insert.
--> way to go now

No need to get it from oveready since I've already bored the host myself. Left a little ridge for the negative contact the seat on--some folks completely remove the whole thing. Nailbender insert...I'll have to look at how tight that drop-in seats in the head. I want something that is of a air-tight fit for the output to stay consistent for a while compared to the sag commonly found in most P60's.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Because the 6P is boring. A Plain Jane, jack of all trades master of none, type of light. While this fosters the feelings youve outlined in your post, no one is going to start a thread claiming to be a 6P addict haha. Just my opinion.

It's plain and simple...Not much angles on it besides the bezel. I like the feel of it in my hand.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
And let us not forget how gorgeous a beam the P60 puts out!

Don't forget about its bigger brother the 9P!