new E2O - questions

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an E2O in the mail today along with a HOLA lamp. It's my first E series light and I have a few questions.

The threads on the bezel end of the body have a flat spot that lines up with the clip. Is that normal or did mine get mashed at some point in production?

On the LOLA, the inner half of the corona surrounding the hotspot is noticeably darker than the outer half. Is that normal?

On the HOLA, the hotspot has a hole in the middle, like a donut only smaller, which disappears once you back off about 3 feet from the wall. Is that normal?

I didn't realize just how compact these were until I saw it in person. Pretty cool.

tia

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HOLA on my E2 (same lamp, so should be no difference from your E2o) has no black hole at any distance, from what I recall. I'd send it back.

Joe

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Don't know if I'm being too picky here on this one.

Just got off the phone with Doug at Surefire tech support. He said the donut shaped HOLA hotspot was not uncommon but they would replace the lamp just in case it's defective. He said the "2 tone" LOLA corona was normal due to the tight focus and small bezel. I have a P91 with that same 2 tone corona.
icon3.gif
He said flattened threads are normal, as Aluminum already stated.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
....and i thought I was picky
grin.gif

stingray, where were you to get my back when i dared to mention the "tooling" marks?
icon3.gif
grin.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, mine has tooling marks too, not too bad though:)

The 2 tone corona on the LOLA is very pronounced, I don't think it's normal. And a donut shaped hotspot?

Mine came with the washer installed, and not the new spacer thing. I got it from Strategos, so it must have been in inventory before the new method. It passed the pressure test but not the suction test.

All that aside, I'm very impressed with this light. The small size vs output is really incredible. It's just about as bright as my 6P, with a slightly smaller hotspot. I've read the 100's of posts on this site saying how good the E series is, but until you have one in your hand you can't really appreciate it.

I got the E2O instead of the E2E for the bigger clip. Turns out it didn't really matter because I've found I like it better in my back pocket than clipped to my front pocket or belt. Although, for those times when I'm going to be taking it in and out alot I guess the front pocket carry would be easier. Looks kinda funny to me to have a little flashlight bezel sticking out of my front pocket all the time. A custom clip that kind of bends backward on itself allowing for a bezel down carry would be nice (McGizmo ?).

I'm looking forward to walking the dog tonight so I can test it out
grin.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
tkl:

Didn't McGizmo or someone equally as intelligent say the marks inside the Surefires were there to help cool the batteries?

I am insisting that all my future Surefires have them.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Tombeis:
tkl:

Didn't McGizmo or someone equally as intelligent say the marks inside the Surefires were there to help cool the batteries?

I am insisting that all my future Surefires have them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">tom, sure that wasn't a surefire rep?
grin.gif

i don't recall the post, but some lights have the marks, some don't.

i do recall a conversation with a large surefire vendor, he was at the surefire facility and asked about a tip up filter for the G2Z. the function wasn't the same on the nitrolon as it was on the aluminum, it was sticking or wasn't closing securely. the answer he got, "we designed it that way."
rolleyes.gif
read:it's close enough
and we're not about to redesign a part(s) to make it work right.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tombeis,

I hope you make joke as that is what I was doing.
grin.gif

To a great extent, the tool markes in the bottom section of the battery tube are in a non critical surface. This is not the case in the rear chamber where the tail switch assy. resides. I have not witnessed tool marks there, at any rate.

I did hapen to remove the batteries from an E2 the other day and immediately thought of TKL because this battery tube had marks that make a rasp file look smooth! No effect on function what so ever but I would think the machine was making some noise when this part was "chewed"!
grin.gif
Who knows, with OSHA watching after all of us, perhaps the operator was wearing good hearing protection and didn't hear the cutting tool screaming "UNCLE!"
shocked.gif

Tombeis,

I also appreciated that you qualified me as me or someone else with equal intelligence. This leaves the question of level of intelligence unanswered which suits me just fine.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

- Don

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
For those of you that just received your E2O, make sure it has the thin nylon was which rests under the O-Ring threads (where the bezel screws onto). The presense of the nylon ring signafies the lastest version of the E2O.

Latest posts