Fenix TK10 - old tech but worth the money?

Thorpey0

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a used but in next to new condition TK10 with 7090 LED for around 38 dollars.

My question is, is it worth buying this fairly old tech at that price or would I be better off spending slightly more on something new (or second hand) for under 50 dollars?

thanks

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I have an opportunity to buy a used but in next to new condition TK10 with 7090 LED for around 38 dollars.

My question is, is it worth buying this fairly old tech at that price or would I be better off spending slightly more on something new (or second hand) for under 50 dollars?

thanks

The 7090 LED is a Cree XRE-Q5.
If you like more throw and a good creamy tint, and don't mind slightly lower run times because of the less-efficient older emitter, it will do very well.
The XRE will out-throw the XPG or XML in the same size reflectors. The Q5 has a nice ivory-white tint.
I would say that's tough to beat for 38 bucks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Its been surpassed as far as performance and cell options, but its a pretty tough light at least.

If you go to the CPF Marketplace, you can probably find something with twice the brightness and run time for the same $.

Thorpey0

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention I am after something with a good throw, I have a spark sd6-500 for flood but wanted something to pick up my dog when out walking, is this a good floody light then?

I was looking at the Zebralight SC600 but that is around 90 dollars more (equivalent in GB £). I'm not sure it is worth all that extra cost?

Thorpey0

Newly Enlightened
What kind of things would you suggest TEEJ? I am in England so what might I be better looking for?

thanks

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK10 still has(in my opinion) a few advantages compared to the successors:

*a cool white tint but warmer than the newer higher efficiency LEDs. My experience of some of the older emitters is that they have no strange tint like the newer can have.
*smoother beam without artifacts
*more tough buildt

So, while not having the same efficiency like the newer lights, it's still a good light. For a low price I definitely consider it worth the money, if $38 is low enough I am not sure...

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
To be honest, that sounds like a really sweet deal. The TK10 is a very tough light, with a nice orange peel reflector, and good throw. There are only two downsides, it doesn't take 18650's and some have been known to burn out the LED over time. Though, that is not all of them by far. I believe you can use a smaller 17670 rechargeable battery, but don't quote me on that one. If you do get it, it will be an awesome little light, just not the longest running or brightest one out there. I would do some research first to make sure that the driver will work sufficiently off of a 4.2v 17670 before you get it though. Unless you don't mind feeding it CR123's, in which case go for it.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe you can use a smaller 17670 rechargeable battery, but don't quote me on that one. If you do get it, it will be an awesome little light, just not the longest running or brightest one out there. I would do some research first to make sure that the driver will work sufficiently off of a 4.2v 17670 before you get it though. Unless you don't mind feeding it CR123's, in which case go for it.

I tried with my TK10, and AW 17670 suits but very exactly. To remove the cell I had to loose the head and then it could drop out, or be pushed out.
I have not done any runtime test to see how well the output remains, however.

Last edited:

välineurheilija

Enlightened
My two TK10,s work with 17670 but i think the low battery indicator goes off at 5 volts so it flickers on turbo mode,i use eagletac 16340 batteries.i would buy another one for that price :)