Just ordered a Fenix PD32UE, battery question -

klmmicro

Newly Enlightened
Good morning all!

I ordered the light as a woods/camping/hiking light. You guys were right, the bug is easily caught! I am looking forward to receiving the lamp. Bought it through a major outdoor supply store using a gift card...thank you family! I know it has the 750 lumen feature, but that is not why I bought it really. The low and mid powers fit right into where I like my lights to be...40 lumens around camp is adequate for almost every task I perform there. Advertised battery charge life seems pretty good and I will be interested to see if the lamp actually gets close to that. The high end, while cool for bragging rights, is just an added bonus to me.

My intent is to use a 18650 to power it, but that is where I run into trouble...I am totally unfamiliar with the battery! I have been doing some research on-line, but it is not really turning up what I am looking for. There are about 1000 different variables, the biggest being protected/unprotected battery types. I believe that protected will be my choice on this as they seem "safer" from battery longevity...I am a noob.

Another thing that came up is type A and B...not sure if the two are interchangeable and what advantage one has over the other. As near as I can tell, type B is flat on both ends? This would mean that whatever torch it would be used in would have to have springs on both + and - terms?

As for size, I am looking at 3100 and 3400 mah. The batteries will have to last a while between charges while I am out in the woods. I assume that these cells follow the same characteristics as standard rechargeable, more is generally better?

What is the life of the batteries (number of charging cycles) on average? 100 cycles, 500 cycles? I am looking at only established brands like Sanyo and Panosonic. Are there others that I am missing?

BTW...it is all your fault! :grin2:

kestrel140

Newly Enlightened
Check out the aw18650 batteries, 3400mah. They like to be used and if they are not used often keep one at 40% charge in the fridge. Search the posts on chargers and batteries.

moozooh

Enlightened
AW doesn't offer 3400 mAh, does he?

— Most battery "brands" are just these same Panasonic and Sanyo cells with a fancy wrapping, a protection circuit, and a button on the positive end. These three things are added by the company that puts its name on the wrapping. Not much different from normal AA batteries, actually...
— Protection circuit, as you may have guessed, protects the battery from short circuit, overcharge, overdischarge, and overload. It's always better to go with a protected battery.
— Higher mAh rating is generally better, yes. 3400 mAh batteries are the best overall choice for 18650 size at this point.
— Some of the best brands that use high quality Panasonic cells are AW, EagleTac, Orbtronic, Redilast, and Keeppower. There's no practical difference between these batteries, except that some may be a bit longer than the other.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the li-ion scene also, I am looking to invest in a few 18650's so I can see how they perform in a really serious flashlight. In particular I am looking at the TK75 with 3400 mAh Orbtronic batteries and probably a Pila charger. I have a question about the comment made that these batteries like to be used or stored at 40% under refrigeration. Is that because they have self discharge issues or is it because of some other reason? I typically do not use a flashlight every day but expect it to be ready to use when I need it.

moozooh

Enlightened
I have a question about the comment made that these batteries like to be used or stored at 40% under refrigeration. Is that because they have self discharge issues or is it because of some other reason? I typically do not use a flashlight every day but expect it to be ready to use when I need it.

40% and refrigeration are ideal conditions for long-term storage (think several months without use). If you're worried about capacity degradation, just charge the battery to 80% or so and keep it in the light. They're not that expensive to be worth the trouble of keeping them under ideal conditions.

timbo114

Enlightened
Good morning all!
My intent is to use a 18650 to power it ..
As for size, I am looking at 3100 and 3400 mah. The batteries will have to last a while between charges while I am out in the woods. I assume that these cells follow the same characteristics as standard rechargeable, more is generally better?

This is what you want .... top shelf quality - bargain price.
Read the entire thread ... but click this link for purchase.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...d-19ish-pair&p=4707425&viewfull=1#post4707425

duranged2001

Newly Enlightened
I have the PD32UE and ordered the Xtar SP2 and two Intl-Outdoor 3400mAh 18650s. I am very happy with my setup. I just need to burn through my initial two CR123a batteries so I can get to my freshly charged Intl-Outdoors. :popcorn:

markr6

Flashaholic
I have the PD32UE and ordered the Xtar SP2 and two Intl-Outdoor 3400mAh 18650s. I am very happy with my setup. I just need to burn through my initial two CR123a batteries so I can get to my freshly charged Intl-Outdoors. :popcorn:

That is a nice setup! I got the WP2 II and two EagleTac 3400. My PD32UE came with a set of CR123s which I used for a few days, but I set them aside to keep as a backup.

wjv

Enlightened
I have a PD32UE and the button type, protected, work just fine in it.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
That's exactly what I wound up getting and it works perfectly in my PD32UE.

vonuscyg

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried using the Orbtronics 3400 mAh 18650 batteries in their PD32UE? Does it fit?

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Has anyone tried using the Orbtronics 3400 mAh 18650 batteries in their PD32UE? Does it fit?

Just put an Orbtronics 3400 mah 18650B in my PD32UE today, as a matter of fact. Fits and runs fine.

I wasn't sure. After I ordered it I read a thread about them not working. But they do. In mine, at least.

Ken

himself

Newly Enlightened
I am exclusively running Orbtronics (3100 and 3400). They fit and work great in the PD32UE (all my lights actually). FWIW, you can order directly from Orbtronics website. The 3100s and 3400s are on sale, and there is free shipping as well. Cheaper than Amazon/eBay! And mine were delivered fast. My only regret is that I mixed my buying, so now I have a bunch of the 3100s and a bunch of the 3400s...

-td