Foursevens QP2A-X Pro Help: Problems with starting in wrong modes.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I have been having a couple of issues with my new Foursevens QP2A-X Pro that I got a couple days ago for Christmas. The modes are sometimes glitchy when switching, it doesn't always turn on in the right mode, and it sometimes will jump a mode. With the bezel loosened into the moonlight menu, the modes will sometimes sputter before or after switching or occasionally jump to the next mode. The other issues is that the light will turn on into strobe mode from off half of the time when the head is tightened. Other times it may not come on at all for a few seconds and then jump into strobe mode for several seconds before finally going to turbo mode.

At first I thought that this was a connection issue so I broke the light down and cleaned everything thoroughly. I also broke down the switch, cleaned it, and put it back in nice and tight. So as far as I can tell there are no connection issues. The little bit I played with it after that seemed smoother in the mode switching for the moonlight menu, but the strobe start was still an issue. I was just wondering if any other Foursevens owners have had similar issues and found a good work around to fix it. Or do you guys think that I should go ahead and send it in under warranty?

BobEvans

Newly Enlightened
I have this issue with the modes not resetting. I experience it mostly when playing with the light -- turning it off and on repeatedly. With real world use, with 15 minute or more "rest" periods, the light always fires up in moon mode or turbo as desired.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Quirks....

The threads can be a bit loose on some Quarks so that, if you are within a 1/4 turn from tight bezel, any sideways pressure on the head will act as a half-press of the clicky and will cycle modes inadvertently. (I actually like this as it can provide a momentary feature on the Pro interface with the light on moonlight - just press the head sideways with your thumb for momentary turbo.)

Just make sure the head is loosened a full half turn and it should stop the mode skipping.

The long reset (15-20 secs), can be another issue with certain XPG versions with high voltage (>3V). Interestingly, single AAs always seem have 4 second resets, and all XML versions seem to be free of reset or pre-flash issues.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Huh, that "momentary turbo" trick is kind of cool actually. Loosening the head more is definitely helping with the moonlight menu. I guess I was close enough to being tightened down that is was messing with the modes.

I will keep playing with it at work tonight and see what happens, though I kind of don't have high hopes about it. I just woke up and decided to use the novelty of the moonlight mode and it turned on for a second and a half then turned back off. I shook it a little and nothing happened, so I finally whacked the side of the light with my hand and it turned back on. That may have been caused by the head being in that not quite tight but not quite loose twilight zone though. We'll see after tonight, ten hours in the dark will be plenty of time to see what happens.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will keep playing with it at work tonight and see what happens, though I kind of don't have high hopes about it. I just woke up and decided to use the novelty of the moonlight mode and it turned on for a second and a half then turned back off. I shook it a little and nothing happened, so I finally whacked the side of the light with my hand and it turned back on.

One other thing will tend to cause your symptoms - a loose tailcap. Sometimes if the retaining ring which holds down the pocket clip is unscrewed a mm, it will prevent the tailcap from tightening down fully. You could also just test it by removing both the clip and clip retaining ring to determine if the fault is in the head, tailcap or tailcap/body connection. If still no luck, send it in for repair, or for swap with the dealer.