Things to make with salvaged LED Christmas Lights(FWAB title was dumb)

ToyTank

Enlightened
V2 in Post 2

I have been thinking of this for a while. I know we have all tweaked the legs of a 5mm LED to light it up in our hands(right?) I figure that's the simplest LED light.
LED-Battery-Contacts
I've been using a HCRI 5mm LED on top of a lifepo4 cell for awhile.

2012-12-25_13-53-20_112.jpg

2012-12-25_13-57-27_112.jpg

Probably not the first to try, I took a WW junk 5mm LED I have and added Magnetic leads onto it.
I'm using solid core 24 AWG nickel coated wire. I salvaged it from the recycle bin at work:sssh:

To connect leads to the LED I used a wire wrap gun which makes a sound solder free joint. Solder would be fine though.

If you have or plan to use a wrap gun you'll need solid core, you can not wire-wrap stranded.

LED-WRAP.jpg

Then mask the LED with tape and cover the bare wire with liquid tape. /\
Make sure and fill the void between the contacts.
I don't have small enough heat shrink, but I'd like to add some.

After it dries time to add the magnets. Strip 1/4" or so of wire. Form them to the curve of the magnets. Tin them if they are not nickel plated.
Place magnet on steel surface to hold it steady. I used tape to hold wire to surface, then slid magnet up under the wire till they mate.
Make sure Iron is hot and tinned. hold iron on wire past where it meets the magnet and rub your solder between the iron and manget on the wire.

If the above is not clear I can make some photos. Surprising easy soldering thanks to nickel plating on the magnets.

Heat resistant magnets are available but I had no issue.

V1 completed!

V1FIN.jpg

Photo is running on 2 eneloops at well under 1ma.(not sure how low) Metered 48ma @3.35v AW IFR16340(not shown)

2012-12-27_21-24-58_520.jpg

V1 and V2 running on same eneloops, the V2 can take any 5mm LED easy swap and even fast load modules:naughty:
IR-UV-Blue-any 5mm LED just make sure and use appropriate voltage-

2012-12-27_21-37-38_769.jpg

Thanks for looking DIY for V2 in post 2. Half the work and so much more versatility!

Last edited:

ToyTank

Enlightened
Re: The flashlight without a body- DIY and interest thread for "V2"

I think this is a neat Idea, I'd love to hear any feedback or other ideas. I'm new at this stuff.
If there is interest in buying one I'll make 100 or so for <$5 shipped with multiple colors

Here it is. Full of joy because it's Momma was a Christmas Tree Light.
Top is the Flashlight without a body(FWAB?)
Beneath is the V1 that is so small I keep loosing it :ironic:
2012-12-27_21-52-40_349.jpg

OK first thing if your interested in this or just want a bunch of cheap LEDs to play with keep an eye out for clearance LED Christmas Lights.

2012-12-28_00-17-14_247.jpg

I got these at home depot <$15. You can look at the wire and see what gauge it is. 20-24 is good unless you want to run over 1 amp.
This amounted to about $.07 per LED+modlule+holder and wire. Not bad IMHO
I used buckyball magnets I had a surplus of IIRC cost <$.20 per magnet. If I make more, I'll likely get magnets shown farther down.

For this use series circuits are better-should have 2 wires on each light.
Decide which side is the Anode(+) and cathode(-) The anode is the small side and will contact the + side of the power supply.
You don't have to take it all the way out like I have, you should be able to tell if it is a 5mm led when the module comes out.
2012-12-27_21-50-19_259.jpg

The wires run past the crimp-it looks..OK
2012-12-27_21-48-09_424.jpg

Cut the the lights to give yourself room for the battery set up you intend to use
I cut the + side short at least for now
If you want to run more than one LED in series you can cut them that way.
2012-12-28_00-22-06_217.jpg

As before I soldered the magnets- The next ones I may use magnets with holes to fill with solder. I have a few they are TOO strong...

2012-12-28_00-24-47_335.jpg

Anyway it is now real easy to swap out LEDs even easier if you carry the plastic module.
Easy to switch batteries as well.

HCRI LED Lighting up Y-R-B-G "modules"
2012-12-27_20-55-36_738.jpg

The red drives hard-2xAA 2.7v ~ 50ma.

2012-12-27_21-37-38_769.jpg

I tried 1xAA Energizer Lithium. Surprisingly, t took a nice LONG sip 1.793v <1ma

2012-12-28_00-34-30_2.jpg

Green takes a slightly higher voltage

2012-12-27_20-46-06_579.jpg

Greenaloop.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'd love comments good or bad.

Last edited:

Maglight240

Newly Enlightened

I am a bit confused. Isn't this just one of those little key chain LED flashlights with larger batteries? Why not just get the key chain flashlight? New guy just wondering why, no offense meant by my questions.

ToyTank

Enlightened

Hi maglight240! No offense taken at all this is as much about my learning and doing it myself in a overly complicated way as making a simple LED light for $.07. If you wanted a light to stick in your change pocket there is better options.

What I wanted when I started making this was just a tiny 5mm LED "host" that you could simply swap LEDs out for tint or color, and had magnetic leads so you could use virtually any battery. I succeeded IMO though that doesn't make it practical or useful to everyone(or anyone:thinking:) Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Maglight240

Newly Enlightened

I saw the magnetic leads and was blown away. I know batteries are magnetic, but I have never thought to use magnets to hold the wires in place, so I always have used tape. I like what you have done and understand better why, thanks.

TinkerJim

Newly Enlightened

I'm definitely seeing some fun interior lighting applications here ala track lighting setup. You could run + and - lines up underneath a cabinet (say, like in your flashlight cabinet :sssh:) and just hang those little guys all along the bottom edge of the shelving. Switching up the colors or whatever mood you're in.

Fun and simple project for sure! Thanks for posting!

ToyTank

Enlightened

Hi Jim-Simple for sure but not every homemade thread can be made by machinists or electrical engineers:welcome:

TinkerJim

Newly Enlightened

Oh there was no offense meant in the "simple" comment! It was actually fun to see a walk-through of something I could do tonight! I have absolutely '0' knowledge at this point, and am trying to learn, so most of the custom mod/homemade threads go way over my head. The soldering and wire-wrapping I just so happened to be familiar with and have plenty of LED christmas lights left over, so was exciting to see something that would be fun and fairly time-efficient to do! I recently made an infiniti mirror out of LEDs and some reflective mylar, so you can be sure I'll be giving this magnet approach a shot this weekend. On a side note, do you think Neo-dymium magnets would work in this application? I have a bunch of itty-bitty ones that I think might work well. Just not sure on their conductivity.
:grin2:

ToyTank

Enlightened

Sounds like we are in the same boat! I'd love to see what you make:twothumbs

As long as they are the nickel or gold plated magnets they conduct pretty well at low current. They are part of Eneloop man and energizer dog. For now I'm just using the "bucky ball" types since I have hundreds of them.

2013-01-03_00-57-06_82.jpg

2013-01-02_23-57-20_309.jpg

2013-01-02_23-50-00_120.jpg

argleargle

Enlightened

Fun thread! I did similar with any bulb and battery I could find as a kid... before succumbing to the urge to test them on wall current. :poof:

Glad to see people are still doing this with the new technology. ToyTank has more fun that most of us, apparently. :)