Some Diffuser Film, DIY

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I've always found the need to use diffuser to either re-shape the beam or to "re-tint" the light output. over the past 2 years, I've tried various material, some giving good results, while others make it worse. This thread is to share a couple of materials that I still keep around.

Let's see a few pics... (all taken with manual settings, f/2.7, exp. 1/20 sec)

DiffuserFilm01.jpg

DiffuserFilm02.jpg

DiffuserFilm03.jpg

DiffuserFilm04.jpg

DiffuserFilm05.jpg

DiffuserFilm06.jpg

DiffuserFilm07.jpg

#1, Olight diffuser is quite nice, the T-series fit most 1" bezel without any problem, but it takes away quite a percentage of output due to it's capping design.

#2, This diffuser film takes almost half the output away, in return, it turns any bluish/greenish tint into very nice vanilla white tint. Source from Korean Wallpaper design shop.

#3, This diffuser film takes away quite some lumens too, in return, it turns my purplish/bluish E01 into warm white. This film is not for neutral/warm tinted light as it will turns the light output into orange. Source from Home-Fix DIY shop.

#4, This diffuser is one of my favorite as it's without any adhesive and still adheres well to the lens, very reusable compare to others, guesstimate to reduce 10-15% output. Source from Ace Hardware.

#5, This is a recent find, and quickly becomes my favorite, minimal light lose, nice white tint. A friend did a comparison with DC-Fix and commented this film let through more light, thinner than DC-Fix. However, due to the film's patterned design, >40% of the film will be wasted for my diffusing purpose. :ohgeez: Source from Ace Hardware.

Well, these are what I still keep and use, others been given to my daughter for her art-work and such. What do you guys use?

Note: I'm really sorry I couldn't be more specific about some of the brands and models as I bought them not in roll, but by meter whenever possible.

tam17

Enlightened
I'm using d-c-fix patches. Besides excellent translucency (over 90% AFAIK), it's affordable and available in local paper stationery stores. Over a couple of years I've tested it in single and double layer configuration, tried removing the adhesive using acetone and left two of my Fenix flashlights (LD01 and LD15) permanently patched. I'm not sure that thinner film necessarily has better translucency, though :thinking:

Cheers

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@tam17, you are right, thinner film doesn't necessarily has better translucency, I think the design (opacity and pattern) of the film does. I also forgot to take a pic with the scotch tape I have, #4 above is slightly better than the scotch tape. :)

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rookiedaddy, this is very helpful.

I have an Ace Hardware in my small town here. If I go in, what should I ask for? What are these things generally called, and what part of the store are they located in? Any hints on what words to use in order to get the #5 stuff?

tam17

Enlightened
Thx, Rookiedaddy! Looks like we have a new winner :thumbsup:

I still can't figure out how they came up with such efficiency (check out the comparison of diffuser materials with clear glass), but as Fletch used to say "It's all ball bearings nowadays".

Err... can we now have the name of the product #5 (in utmost secrecy, of course) :D

Cheers

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@lampeDépêche, I found the film at the window/glass film/tinting section, i think some refer these film as privacy film or something.

@tam17, :laughing:, no secret here, take a look at the pic I took below...

no5film02.jpg

and for slightly higher resolution, 715 x 1024, link here >>> http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss200/rookiedaddy/Flashlights/misc/Diffuser/no5film01.jpg (sorry, I uploaded a 1710 x 2448 pixels resolution, but photobucket shrink it down to 715 x 1024)

errr... Fenix TK20 and Solarforce L2T SS are not included in the price... :laughing: they are there to help hold the label in place while I was taking the pic. :D

you can see the price Ace Hardware tagged (in Ringgit Malaysia), the code they use: 057 or SGS-3-057, the marketing company that OEM it, their address, phone number, email.... I really don't think the name "Stikaround" is the original name of this product... and you can see the white flowery pattern imprinted on the film. :)

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
you can see the price Ace Hardware tagged (in Ringgit Malaysia), the code they use: 057 or SGS-3-057, the marketing company that OEM it, their address, phone number, email.... I really don't think the name "Stikaround" is the original name of this product... and you can see the white flowery pattern imprinted on the film. :)

Rookiedaddy, there's no way I can identify the manufacturer of that film and I'm in Europe. "Stikaround" is also a name of company which is authorised distributor for 3M window films for Malaysia. Have to check out local stores, maybe there's a chance...

Cheers

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
@tam17, if you like, you can PM your address and I will cut a small sheet that fit into an envelope and mail to you. perhaps having the sample on hand is easier to find.

tam17

Enlightened
@tam17, if you like, you can PM your address and I will cut a small sheet that fit into an envelope and mail to you. perhaps having the sample on hand is easier to find.
That's very kind, but I live overseas and don't want to bother you. Thanks for sharing this info :thanks:

Home decoration stores, here I come (after the Holidays) :D

Cheers

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
no worries tam17. been sharing with local "flashlight enthusiasts"... it's nice to share with like-minded people. :)

I have cut some approximately 3" x 8" sheet of #5 film, anyone interested to try can drop me a PM with your address, and I will send a sheet to you after post-office re-open. I think I can service about 10 requests. :D

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Go to a professional camera store and get a Gel Sample book. This Gel is what is used to change the color, color Temp., color correct, and diffuse hot lights or strobes in motion picture, video and professional still photography.

The sample books have hundreds of colors, neutral density, diffusion and color correction. If your LED is a little blue, a 1/4 orange CTO will make it look more white by removing the cast of blue.

You can also buy it in big sheets of what you like.

Sample books are free.

Heat is no problem, since they are made to go on the big motion picture hot lights and cans in theater, and concerts.

Try it.

Good luck,

RedLed / NR

The ND or neutral density can dim your light down to as little as you wish and will not change the color temp. of the light.

Last edited: