Best light-weight headlamp?

baraqyal

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to purchase a very small, lightweight headlamp for hiking use - mostly for trips that take longer than planned, or for very early morning starts.

Critical factors are weight, size, brightness, and comfort. I would prefer around 4+ hours of runtime.

It needs to be bright enough to find unclear trails, light weight and small enough that I won't leave it at home, and comfortable enough to wear for 4 hours while hiking.

I've read a bunch of reviews and posts, and so far, I'm having a heck of time deciding. Money is not a huge factor, as I'm looking for quality.

Right now, I'm seriously considering the Petzl Tikka Plus and the PT Aurora.

Any other suggestions? Are combo Incan/LED's worth their bigger size and weight?

-- Rob

Darkaway

Enlightened
I have both the Aurora and the Tikka Plus. The Petzl offering wins hands down as far as light output goes although it's a tad bulkier.

I run on trails, some faint, at night several times a week. The Tikka Plus is adequate for this task but I always carry a brighter handheld light (Arc LSH or mininag/madmax or PT 20) as a backup and to illuminate not-so-clear sections of trail.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the Tikka Plus. The Zipka Plus is probably even smaller (slightly) cos it has a retractable 'headband' cord instead of you normal strap. As to comfort on the Zipka, I wouldn't know tho...

If you're willing to go up to something slightly bulkier, the Pelican Headsup 2620, which is a dual output light, Xenon and Leds, so you can't go wrong there... weight is 4.9oz according to the website.

Else something even smaller is the Black Diamond Ion. Only gripe I see so far would be the battery availability. Else its a pretty good headlamp for its size and price.

P/S,
Just realised that you said $ is no issue... How about the Yukon HL then? 1 watter should be mighty bright... well, then again as for bulk/size... hmm... guess you win some, you lose some...;)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think three/four 5mm LEDs are going to be enough for finding an unclear trail in the dark.

I think you want a full brightness 1W LS.

Although it is larger than you wanted, you might consider a Yukon HL and run it with lithiums to reduce weight.

The Black Diamond Zenix might work, but I think it, like the Aurora/Tikka, it is a bit too dim for the job. Of course maybe a modified Zenix.

-john

Blikbok

Enlightened
In the dark, any light is a lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Aurora on high is quite sufficient to illuminate a 30' wide area, and at least 45' deep. I used mine most often on low and was still able to see a long distance.

The best method for me was the Aurora on low at all times, and run a slightly more powerful torch (SF KL1 or ARC LS) momentarily when needed, which was infrequent. It was easier than reaching up to my head and adjusting the brightness up and down.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bilkbok, I think it depends on where you are. In the Pacific Northwest, it can sometimes be hard to tell a trail in daylight. I have an Aurora and don't think it would be good in a poor trail conditions. With a reasonable trail it would be peachy.

-john

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Agreed on the Tikka Plus. The Zipka Plus is probably even smaller (slightly) cos it has a retractable 'headband' cord instead of you normal strap. As to comfort on the Zipka, I wouldn't know tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Zipka is OK for 30 minutes or so, after that you begin to wish you brought a Tikka.
And the Tikka plus' angle can be adjusted.

I have two Tikkas and a Zipka plus, now I want a Tikka plus

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own trail finding experiences are mainly from the Adirondacks. For that area I agree that an Aurora is sometimes inadequate for trail finding. As pointed out, it depends how poorly defined the trail is, and how dark it is. It's usually adequate, though, so I would run the 3 5mm LEDs then switch on a 1W LS when needed. Could be either in the form of a headlamp or separate torch.

Now what I do personally, is use a 1W amber HD w/reflector. It cuts past leaves and illuminates dirt and branches pretty well. It's also easier on your eyes than white, so your night vision is at least somewhat preserved. I switch the headlamp to white for up close work, and I carry a separate long throw torch.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Lux and I have the same method, I'm glad to see it works for someone else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John: I guess if the Sun isn't sufficient, the Aurora wouldn't be either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess I haven't hiked hard trails then, since most of them I can spot the blazed stripes with the hand torch and navigate safely over the terrain with the headlamp.

I'd like to see a better switching system for headlamps though, so I could run in low and touch a momentary "high" option.

baraqyal

Newly Enlightened
Well, the areas I'm interested in hiking in are deserts with very poorly marked and confusing trails, so I guess the pure LED headlamp is not really an option.

Now the question is, would I be better off carrying a small led headlamp (ala Zipka) with a good throw light, or would I be better off getting one combo xenon/led light for both?

Bear in mind that I'm really trying to minumize weight. What backup light would be strong enough, but small, light, bright, and tough enough to carry in addition to the headlamp?

Let's see...

BD Ion: 1.1 oz
PT Scout: 1.8 oz
Petzl Zipka Plus: 2.5 oz
PT Aurora: 2.7 oz
BD Moonlight: 4.2 oz
BD Zenix : 4.4 oz
ST Trident: 5 oz
PT Matrix 2: 5.8 oz
BD Supernova: 7.8 oz
PT Yukon HL: 8 oz
Petzl Myo 3: 8.28 oz
Petzl Myo 5: 8.4 oz

Combined with?
SF E1E: 2.2 oz
Arc LS: 2.2 oz
SF L4: 3.5 oz

So, if I went with an E1E or LS and the BD ION, I'd be looking at only 3.3 oz's, but I'd be way over on size, and would have two different kinds of batteries to worry about. Plus, I'm not sure the ION is ideal.

If I went with the L4 and a Zipka, I'd be at 6 oz's, more than the weight of a Matrix 2.

Also, what happens if I were to drop/loose/break the backup? I'd end up spending the night out in the cold. Hmm...

-- Rob

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking at long hours, try matching a AA battery LED headlamp with an AA backup over the Lithium 123s. That way, any of your exhausted AAs in your 'spotting' light can still go into your headlamp just in case you totally run out of fresh batts. This way, it doesn't really matter if your headlamp is a combo or just purely LED light.

You'll probably be looking at something like a Princeton Tec or UKE for a backup/spotting light. They're lightweight and durable as well, just be sure you have some spare bulbs as well.

If you're still leaning towards 123 lithiums, then you should consider the UKE 2L instead, cos its lightweight, waterproof and durable as well. Runtime is advertised at 4 hrs, but realistically you're looking at possibly 2.5 to 3 hrs. Alternatively a SL TL 2L Led would be a choice for a LED backup with some decent throw...

Oh, and dont forget to have a backup for your backup lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Something like an Arc AA or CMG Ultra would weigh next to nothing and uses standard batteries as well as being very rugged.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Yukon HL would be the ideal dual luxeon/5mm LED headlamp. It still doesn't eliminate the need for backups. PT has stated it will work fine with Lithium AAs (energizer L91). That should have the effect of extending runtime, as well as reducing weight.

Remember that AAs give you about double the runtime of AAAs, so that would further reduce your loadout (alkalines).

I find that headlamps that have the rear mount battery case are far more comfortable and balanced than those with everything up front. The Lightwave Illuminator is reasonably bright, but, it is a beast to wear for extended times, as everything is up front, and quite heavy on the forehead.

Something like the Arc AAA hanging from neck, but, inside shirt until needed, would handle your worry. Also good for changing batteries in headlamp in the dark, if you need to.

Incans eat batteries.

If you can use a wrist lanyard with your handheld light, do so! A belt holder is also a good idea.

Don't be too fanatical about shaving off ounces. I do not recommend the BD Ion for your purposes.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the above statement. I would consider as backup the Petzl Tikka plus. I was climbing in the Andes two years ago and I set off for Cayambe at midnight with a tikka on my helmet. We didn't make the summit The next night I set off again and it was clear- i had forgotten to turn off the tikka but it was not noticeably brighter and I used it until the twilight came on. Agree that the Ion is only useful for emergencies close to home- not remote areas, and also the Zipka, though slightly lighter feels like you're wearing a wire around your head.

baraqyal

Newly Enlightened
Another idea.

How about this combo?

2 PT Blasts + 1 Petzl Tikka Plus

2(1.5) + 1 (2.5) = 5.5 oz

That way, I will have a total of 7 AAA batteries, with 3 total lights. The two blasts will solve my "lose/break the strong light" dilema. (And it wouldn't be the end of the world if one did get lost.) Also, with two blasts, I should be pretty close to being able to walk my 4 hours with only them.

I know oz's aren't everything, but I really want to cut it as much as possible without severly reducing useability or safety. I really don't plan on using these lights at all - but, you never know.

So would that meet my minumum amount of light requirement?

I do really like the "carry lights with compatible batteries" and "strong light, weak light" ideas. Thanks for the input.

-- Rob

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another idea.

How about instead of the 2 PT Blasts you go for 1 Rage and 1 Arc AAA?

-john

Steve Andrews

Enlightened

Tikka Plus has proved to be a great choice for my camping excursions.
Good runtime, adjustable light output and angle.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good rule: don't go by manufacturer runtime claims. Exception is Matrix Module runtimes, Surefire L4, Arc products and a few others. Most claims are wild exaggerations and should be divided by 2 (at least).

Take extra batteries. A 2x3 inch ziploc will hold 3 AAs, 4 AAAs, or 3 CR123As. If you find yourself in an involuntary extended stay, you will be glad to have those extra batteries.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
baraqyal said:
How about this combo?

2 PT Blasts + 1 Petzl Tikka Plus

2(1.5) + 1 (2.5) = 5.5 oz

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a plan! Just don't forget an Arc AA or AAA, you can hang it on a lanyard on your neck, so you have a light anytime you need it (in other words, the 'mother' of all backups! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif)! Happy hiking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif