Olight SR95S-UT Intimidator Review

firelord777

Enlightened
What we have here today, is a flashlight that throws like it wants to prove that the sky is in fact, not the limit:naughty:. It's the Olight SR95S-UT. Now, what's special about this flashlight is that it is currently Olight's best thrower. It is claimed to put out 250,000 lux, theoretically having a max ANSI throw range of 1,000 meters, roughly 1 km:eek:. ANSI ranges are based on a .25 lux beam distance, about the light from a full moon, which in reality, puts out a lot of light, and I know this from experience. When me and my brothers play outside with no artificial light, and only have the moon as a light source, with fully adjusted eyes, it seems like we could see just as good as if it were daylight (not really, but we can make out a lot of details):). Without veering off topic, I believe that there is a difference between ANSI rated beam distances and effective ranges. I would say the effective range for this flashlight would be around 800 meters, that is, of course, if you have binoculars or something to help you see at such far distances. And trust me, as you will see later on, not even the length of 3 soccer fields allows the light to reach its full potential:thinking:.
Below we have the official specs from Olight - great people over there, very professional and respond to emails within a day):thumbsup:
o LED: Luminus SBT-70 LED
o Output/Run Time: High: 1250 Lumens/3 Hours; Medium: 500 Lumens/8 Hours; Low: 150 Lumens/48 Hours
o Beam intensity in center: 250000 candela
o Maximum throw: 1000 meters
o A large capacity 7800mAh 7.4V rechargeable lithium battery pack
o 18mm diameter power button ensures ease of use even using thick gloves or in adverse conditions.
o Material: Aluminum body with anti-scratching type III Hard Anodizing
o Dimensions: Length: 12.8" (325mm), Head Diameter: 3.5" (90mm), Body Diameter: 2" (48.4mm)
o Weight: 2.7 lbs (1230.5g)
o Color: Black
o Charger: AC 100220V 50~60HZ input. Recharge under constant current and voltage 3A/8.4V
o Reflector: High-efficiency, large diameter smooth reflector
o Lens: Tough ultra-clear tempering glass, with anti-reflective coating
o Striking bezel: Aluminum body with anti-scratching type III Hard Anodizing
o Switch: Side switch
o 2 Gold plated, metal O rings
o Waterproof rating: IPX6
o Impact resistance: 1.5 (meters)
o Integrated power input socket on the tailcap, with four indicators on the tail for indicating the batteries condition
o Included accessories: Carrying strap, AC charger, power cable for charger, user manual, warranty card
o MSRP: $450
The Olight SR95S-UT comes in a nice presentation case:
yuZ6i.jpg

NPiQv.jpg

fqSK4.jpg

rN2AX.jpg

80ZzZ.jpg

uOpSY.jpg

TCwMu.jpg

This is essentially what it comes with:
aISQR.jpg

The charging cable does not go in all the way, this is normal, don't worry about it if it doesn't:cool::
IG8L4.jpg

tHJBZ.jpg

The carrying strap below is, to my surprise, well made and comfortable. It is great to see that the strap wasn't an afterthought, having durable seems and material. The two carabineers at each end of the strap are large and are heavy duty, meaning they're solid and well built. :thumbsup:
l0tPZ.jpg

Construction:
The Olight SR95S-UT gave me a lasting impression that I'll never forget: "damn, this thing is big". Though, if it had a pocket clip, it would be perfect for Every Day Carry (Not really):crackup:. When I first showed it to my little sister, she thought Olight had shipped me a light made for a giant:D.
Honestly though, it's not THAT big. Think of it as a 3 D maglite except with a slightly larger head and a sleek, black Type III anodizing (HAIII) finish to it. Oh, and 1000 times more powerful beam wise:devil:.
0qA6c.jpg

8M1tl.jpg

As far as Olight naming it an "intimidator", well, let's just say they're absolutely right:rock:.
7XmKK.jpg

The power button is sort of a mix between a forward and a reverse clicky: when you press it, it turns on, even before you even depress it, as with conventional reverse clickies it turns on only after you pressed and depressed the power button. However, there is no momentary on.
To change modes, you have to press and hold it after you turned it on, and the light will change from low-mid-high at roughly 1 second intervals. I'll have some whitewall beamshots comparing the levels of output, because to tell you guys the truth, they are well spaced, but the low still isn't at a level where you can read maps, low still throws at a slightly longer distance than my Fenix TK41 on turbo, around 50,000 lux.:wow:
But seriously, who is going to use a light of this size and caliber to read maps? It has a hidden strobe mode as well, operating on the turbo output level and is very disorienting, the frequency is 10 Hz (10 flashes per second). So, if you ever find yourself in a "tight situation", remember, when the flashlight is either on or off, click the power button ONLY TWICE to activate the flashing-strobe-of-disorientation:twak:.
jOtlK.jpg

cHB9X.jpg

The SR95S-UT has symmetrically cut heat fins. This is because, although LEDs produce a lot of light efficiently, without much heat as a byproduct, at these levels, it is still capable of becoming warm and even hot. That, and Olight wanted to cut down on the weight, because previous models had big heatsinks and Olight decided to specially design a heat sink that would cool the LED efficiently, and still be lightweight.
mmj9u.jpg

Time to Talk Business
Here is where, well…you-know-what-comes-out-of-and-you-should-never-directly-look-at-if-you-don't-want-to-go-blind::duck:
l4To6.jpg

A perfectly centered SBT-70 LED emitter:
9exRc.jpg

94krP.jpg

May I just add that this light has such a beautiful, big, deep reflector?
X37ac.jpg

So, what's so special about the SBT-70 that gives the SR95S-UT such outstanding reach? It's basically a round emitter that doesn't have the magnifying dome on conventional LEDs, which allowed Olight to play around with it to bring it to an optimal focusing designed to throw. Here, I'll let the pictures talk for themselves, I bet many of you can't really tell what I'm saying:
bwpQP.jpg

Og0tJ.jpg

xQms1.jpg

Am I in heaven?
wi3OV.jpg

The SR95S-UT is well balanced, with the center of gravity being right around the power switch:
5KIQw.jpg

Olight claims that its knurling is specially designed to be anti-slip for human hands. I found that it in fact, is very grippy in adverse conditions, cold, hot, wet and dry. Even with minimal grip power exerted on the knurling, the flashlight doesn't slip, as long as your hands or fingers are touching the knurling:
Ypogt.jpg

zIvRP.jpg

qlvx2.jpg

The carabineers that the strap comes with are, as previously mentioned, solid and robust. The two gold pieces on the SR95S-UT serve to act as contact points for the strap, and can spin freely, giving you a wide variety of positions you can carry the flashlight. As you will see below soon, I walked to the park to take a few beamshots, and the strap did a great job at distributing the weight on my shoulders and neck, preventing fatigue in my experience.
One way to prevent confusion on which attachment point to install the strap to the light is to place the strap on you, and then clip on the flashlight to the strap. I had an initial problem figuring out which one should go where, because I wanted the light on my right side.
Anyways, the strap seems like it won't succumb to the elements soon, it's so well made that I can almost bet that it will last for the lifetime of the flashlight:
nwgT1.jpg

EEeJR.jpg

U8KJA.jpg

BA3ax.jpg

How Much Fuel Left Bob?
The tailcap of the light contains a meter that lights up 4 LEDs at once, depending on the amount of battery you have left. All you have to do is press the big button at the bottom, and the green LEDs glow green for exactly 3 seconds.
JtWMF.jpg

AXIwl.jpg

This hole in the middle that was covered by a rubber piece for waterproofing is where you plug in your Olight to charge:
yJFML.jpg

The light can tailstand, but just try not to bump into it or destabilize it, because although it is a durable light (impact resistant for at least 1.5 meters) made for demanding environments, we all know it hurts us on the inside to see a $450 flashlight hit the floor. Yikes!:mad:
Nxflz.jpg

Battery:
The Olight SR95S-UT has a proprietary battery pack, made up of roughly several 18650 lithium batteries (Li-ion), and provides 7,800 mAh (~8,000) at a 7.4 volts. Unfortunately, the only way to charge the flashlight is by the charger provided. As you will see below, the battery pack is sealed and fully intergraded with the battery meter.
Olight does provide separate battery packs separately, but perhaps for users that have several 18650s available, Olight can sell battery carriers.
Or maybe they made the battery pack specially designed to provide the best performance, but who knows, this is completely debatable:
DMHH8.jpg

rl9Xc.jpg

HdwEr.jpg

A quick glance at the inside of the head:
3kLBr.jpg

Size Comparison to other lights:
Here is the order, from left to right: Olight SR95S-UT; Dereelight Night Master with EZ650 Extension Tube; Klarus XT20; Fenix TK41; ArmyTek Predator; Black Shadow Terminator (Full review coming soon)
xidBd.jpg

As you can see, the Olight dwarfs even lights previously considered large, such as my Fenix TK41. Everytime I pick up the Fenix I feel like it has shrunk::confused:
Z6m23.jpg

IH639.jpg

pTzla.jpg

1CKXw.jpg

6JmFG.jpg

GkvLg.jpg

Size Comparison to Common Objects:
Multi-tool:
Bw4TU.jpg

Heavy Duty Carabineer that I found on the floor:
CsSpJ.jpg

TI-something, all I know is that it's a graphing calculator:
itMpq.jpg

Italian-English Dictionary:
FtiFq.jpg

Pair of sunglasses that I also found on the floor:
ibZA6.jpg

18650 lithium battery:
9062t.jpg

AA battery:
f789R.jpg

Some fighter jets:
ln5np.jpg

Fits on a normal piece of printing paper:
bbZJ5.jpg

NOx1X.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots (BOOYAH!) I still don't have 100% knowledge on cameras, so the pictures don't really do the justice, you should really see this thing in person:
Control (sun was setting)
tg5e3.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
5XPkm.jpg

Klarus XT20:
PYyJf.jpg

Fenix TK41:
13cCE.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
XT3NV.jpg

And Olight SR95S-UT (Bam!):
qf7Ie.jpg

1v8GD.jpg

Sky Shots (I bet the astronauts are saying "what the heck are those lights?"):devil:
ArmyTek Predator:
xWjNb.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
FTGjI.jpg

Klarus XT20:
vVrbA.jpg

Fenix TK41:
BIKdp.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
RWIkg.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
Zgbxa.jpg

Clearly my backyard is a prison for this light:
1bhW1.jpg

Vx89O.jpg

Control:
X5GGM.jpg

SR95S-UT on High:
Jdn9L.jpg

lx5NH.jpg

oidHr.jpg

0ZDLp.jpg

DGMUp.jpg

EQ60o.jpg

NASA is probably wondering why the moon got so bright:ironic::
S2QzY.jpg

mp9kk.jpg

All right guys, showtime
Note: photos were taken right around mid-night, so the pictures would be under the darkest period of the night-
(As mentioned previously, the pictures below don't represent exactly how each flashlight is in real life, I found that the lights put out a lot more light downrange and go much farther than shown in the pictures, keep that in mind):
Control (from where I was to the trees is just over the length of a soccer field:
3zEwA.jpg

ArmyTek Predator:
udEAa.jpg

Dereelight Night Master:
UggKY.jpg

Klarus XT20:
J2KYE.jpg

Fenix TK41:
g6M9E.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator:
aMJWz.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
CMBo1.jpg

Same order as before:
g3bAb.jpg

ArmyTek
S4ceV.jpg

Dereelight
unxga.jpg

Klarus
kYAIR.jpg

Fenix
xbyL6.jpg

Black Shadow
SDHRW.jpg

Olight
DE3HK.jpg

5j9mb.jpg

You can more or less judge the distance from the two goal posts:
hrUKc.jpg

rRJot.jpg

zzb4C.jpg

0sQWf.jpg

Will the SR95S-UT be able to light up objects across the length of 3 soccer fields? (place your bets now):touche:
TA3FZ.jpg

sNYVb.jpg

ArmyTek Predator (fantastic little light that rivals the throw of bigger lights)
RQ8mH.jpg

Dereelight Night Master (if you're looking for a light to play Star Wars, this is it, the beam is tight like a laser)
UIAdE.jpg

Klarus XT20 (same brightness as the SR95S-UT, but its more oriented for flood)
yqoJS.jpg

Fenix TK41 (Throws really good for 8 AA batteries)
NGQj5.jpg

Black Shadow Terminator (The Terminator name fits it well, it terminates every organisms' eyeballs if you shine it at them):eek:
qpYl3.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
rCLB3.jpg

I hope I didn't wake them up, thinking the police had them surrounded, and the helicopter searchlight was on the scene::whistle:
vfu5x.jpg

Another setting:
j1xVG.jpg

Qrkb1.jpg

NhxGK.jpg

NPGTM.jpg

aNbII.jpg

PU7GJ.jpg

DnyO3.jpg

hrRKS.jpg

Another setting:
qJa1t.jpg

0DCAA.jpg

y4yiB.jpg

5G16F.jpg

7dOxq.jpg

rqRg9.jpg

The Olight seems to almost be melting the metal bars of the playground!
Another Setting:
aJTtq.jpg

NyF20.jpg

Ago1E.jpg

Dereelight head tightened all the way, I call it tactical mode:
vxud4.jpg

TLIT3.jpg

Jd3EL.jpg

Olight SR95S-UT:
jRATK.jpg

I guess I forgot I already used this setting, but who cares:
o5hKw.jpg

Sorry guys, I forgot to take a picture of the ArmyTek, we'll just have to start with the Dereelight:
hHwkQ.jpg

7GHKC.jpg

PoPfi.jpg

YENHL.jpg

qfd2w.jpg

uPka4.jpg

WRqd8.jpg

mlfk9.jpg

VrhLI.jpg

hCPTj.jpg

kZRW4.jpg

w7jTV.jpg

BF434.jpg

Professional Use:

The Olight SR95S-UT is designed mainly for search and rescue. Typically, these operations require lights that have a far-throwing hotspot and a corona around it for peripheral vision. The Olight is, strictly in my own personal opinion, a good investment for LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers), disaster relief teams, park rangers and related professions. Especially for LEOs, the bad guys will start thinking cops now have alien technology! If they run into the woods or something, the corona will help you detect them and move the hotspot directly at them, rendering them temporarily blinded and ensnared in your Beam-of-the-Law:hahaha:.
Other Olight Models:
There are quite a few Olight Search and Rescue models. From the famed SR90, which held a formidable title in its days, to the eye-searing SR92 wall-of-light handheld stadium light. However, if you want to compare all the models, in terms of throw, the SR95S-UT has the farthest reaching beam. The SR95 (SST-90 emitter) throws really good and is bright, having a max range of a little over 700 meters. The SR95-UT throws even better, having a range of 800 meters. The SR95S-UT, the one reviewed here, though, has a max range of 1000 meters. I know $450 for a flashlight is a lot:thumbsdow, but for what it delivers, I strongly believe it's worth it if you have the funds to get it:).
The Runtime Paradox
The Olight SR95S-UT has a feature that I just recently found out. It may be good news for many, but bad for some. Without trying to smother you with anxiety, it's thermal protection. Basically, the fundamental principle of this is that the flashlight will decrease output if it senses the temperature of the LED is becoming too hot. LEDs, with all the benefits and advantages, can still become damaged with too much heat and decrease the lifetime of the LED.
The lifetimes of LEDs are rated until their output reaches 70% of the original output. For example, an XP-G R5 LED emitter is rated at 100,000 hours (If you keep the LED turn on continuously, it will reach 100,000 hours in 11.42 years:eek:). This means that after 100,000 hours of burntime, the LED will reach 70% output. Contrary to popular belief (or what I used to believe), LEDs don't just go BOOM after 100,000 hours:).
Anyways, the point I am trying to get across is that Olight implemented thermal protection in the SR95S-UT to keep the LED within safe temperatures to prolong the life of the LED. The thermal protection feature will kick in after the LED reaches a certain temperature. I don't know exactly what is that temperature, but I am guessing it's around 50-60 degrees Celsius.
If this happens, the light will decrease output to a safe but still bright level. Eventually, it will become regulated and reach close to the 3 hours of runtime advertised by Olight.
Fortunately, if you provide the flashlight with ample space and air flow to "breathe", then the light will be almost perfectly regulated until the 7,800 mAh lithium battery cannot support the high draw currents (until the battery dies and has to charge)
The down side, is that with this path, the light will be regulated (the LED draws between 10-10.5 amps), which is great, because the flashlight will be just as bright towards the end of the battery life as when it started, but the runtime will be closer to 2 hours rather than the advertised 3 hours.
You can always opt for low and mid output levels, they are superb levels that still have a really far reaching throw, and provide you with a much longer runtime of 8 hours on 500 lumens, and 48 hours (two whole days of continuous runtime) on 150 lumens. I will have beamshots comparing the levels of output, because I think Olight underestimated the brightness on low, to me it seems more like 300 lumens.
Selfbuilt's review here:buddies:, I guess is "evidence" that the Olight SR95S-UT in fact does have more than 250,000 lux in his tables, and a beam distance of at least 1 km. Additionally, if you scroll down to his runtime charts and explanation, you will understand better how the SR95S-UT behaves in different environments.
The Pros:
Super-duper thrower beam:bow:
Can blind a hostile AND beat them up:devil:
Every aspect of the light was well thought out, made to last, and engineered to perform
It's like a pumped up version of the ArmyTek Predator:D
Has a cool battery meter
Easy to learn UI (User Interface)
Well balanced weight distribution
Fantastic knurling
Can be used to play Star Wars with your friends (Though everyone will probably want to use the flashlight instead):(
Nothing will seem out of visible range with this light
SBT-70 LED – Seems to be made of magic apparently:D.
The red o-ring on the head glows in the dark (I'll take a picture of this soon)
Strobe is easily accessible in the case of an emergency (or a disco party) and at the same time unobtrusive in normal use
It comes with a shiny case:ironic:
Fully regulated on all modes when provided with active cooling such as natural air movements when outside
Thermal Protection Control, when the LED gets too hot, it decreases output – this happens when there is no active cooling, such as keeping it in a confined space or in a stationary position with no air flow
The Cons:
Price is obviously the highest in the list ($450)
Low may not be low enough for some
Proprietary battery pack and charger
It's big
It weighs 1,230 grams
Waterproof to IPX-6 (Why is this bad? The highest IPX rating is IPX-8, but we shall see after I run some brutal waterproofing tests)
It might be so awesome to others that they may try and steal it from you:mad:
More to come soon
I will be constantly updating this review with more pictures and tests. Waterproof tests, whitewall beamshots, more outdoor beamshots and even a pictoral thread on the Olight SR95S-UT soon to come.
Also, Italian and Spanish review to come soon!
In accordance with FTC regulations I must inform you that the SR95S-UT was provided by Olight for review, however, this did not make me biased in any way, when I decide to make reviews, I act as if I bought it with my own money and am a normal consumer (booyah!). I would hate to be doing this close knit community a disservice by posting biased reviews. The reason I am clearing this up now compared to my other reviews is because I had never experienced a flashlight of this class nor price point, and I can sympathize with concerns regarding these situations.
Anyways, if you guys have any questions, remember, I will address them with pleasure. No matter how basic or how complicated, feel free to ask me or PM me, seriously, anything.:rock:
Kind Regards,
Alain

Last edited:

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
I'm lookin' to get a thrower in 2013 so thanks for all the pics. Great review !

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Nope sorry man:)

I'm down south in Florida. Search up cutler ridge park in google maps and you'll see the park where I took all the beamshots:D

LOL...saw the light, and thought you were closer....

I didn't see it say "UT" anywhere on the light, case, etc,...Just SR95S.

Is there any labeling on the light to differentiate the 95S from the 95S UT?

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
LOL...saw the light, and thought you were closer....

I didn't see it say "UT" anywhere on the light, case, etc,...Just SR95S.

Is there any labeling on the light to differentiate the 95S from the 95S UT?

UT stands for Ultimate Thrower. There are only 3 types of he SR95, the SR95, the SR95-UT and the SR95S-UT

I'll check right now and tell you in a bit

firelord777

Enlightened
Ok, I just checked, and if you go back to the picture of the labeling on the neck of the light, you will see a small logo like marking next to the word Intimidator. If you look closer, it has UT in it,

Hope that helps:)

Cheers:D

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
excellent review, you're gaining some serious steam/momentum in the flashlight review world it appears. good work and congrats on being sent such an expensive light for review! good work!

firelord777

Enlightened
excellent review, you're gaining some serious steam/momentum in the flashlight review world it appears. good work and congrats on being sent such an expensive light for review! good work!

As always, my buddy Tobrien always stops by to say a few kind words:D Many thanks man!!!

Regards,
Alain

firelord777

Enlightened
I got some more pictures for you guys:

ybFX4.jpg

pvuxa.jpg

QxWEB.jpg

Po46y.jpg

Ez8AZ.jpg

Em4Yp.jpg

j8Hjl.jpg

Himd5.jpg

mhHT2.jpg

I had a few more, even one comparing the size of the SR95S-UT to my cat, but they didn't upload successfully for some reason.

Cheers:)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your review is... how should I say it...? POISONOUS!

Though I have no needs and reasons to own this light, I must say I am real tempted to place my money in one. Awesome review!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks firelord777 for the great review and all the pictures!

I have Fenix TK50 which is a great thrower, and I hardly can imagine how impressive Olight SR95S-UT has to be!
My TK50 unfortunately has a bad greenish tint. How did you perceive the tint of Olight SR95S-UT?

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks pjandyho and Swedpat:)

I found the tint on the olight white, almost on the edge of neutral. There aren't any funky green tints or anything like that, it makes my cool white Armytek look purplelish.

It looks like pure white to me:)