Ideas for making a burning flashlight

jordananders

Newly Enlightened
After seeing some videos on youtube, I have got to get my hands on or actually make a burning torch. I have seen the wickedlasers 100w, but I'm talking about something you can make, and won't break the bank. I have seen people make them out of overhead projector bulbs and 18650s. Any other alternatives? Sorry if this is a super noob question. Some people say that burning flashlights are just for show, and they actually waste lumens, but if you are camping or in an emergency, just think about it. It can be a last resort to start a fire. Anyway, thanks in advance.

yliu

Enlightened
It will most likely will be an Incan light, which is very inefficient. So it is true that burning flashlights are just for show.

I think a D cell Maglite would be the best choice for modding, but I have no idea how powerful bulb you will need though:S

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
but if you are camping or in an emergency, just think about it. It can be a last resort to start a fire
I think you can do better than a flashlight.
Really if you're going camping you should try to bring some better options, flashlights are not for starting fires and you're certainly not going to cause a log to burst into flames.

Esko

Enlightened
but if you are camping or in an emergency, just think about it. It can be a last resort to start a fire. Anyway, thanks in advance.

If I was camping, there is no way I would be dragging that kind of light with me. It wouldn't be practical.

How about a short arc hid spotlight + a lens to concentrate the light (think about the sun and a magnifying glass). Keep the lens as a detachable accessory. Without lens - a powerful seach light. With lens - a burning flashlight (for show).

ToyTank

Enlightened
If you want a burning light just for show-Sweet!

As a alternate fire starter or even flashlight it is a HUGE waste of weight and space. It would be like making a microwave gun so you could point it at CDs to make light.

a lens to concentrate the light (think about the sun and a magnifying glass). Keep the lens as a detachable accessory

Plastic "page magnifier" sheets are a large flat fresnel lens. Cheap, packs very well and easily starts a fire in the winter sun. Some guys are messing with lenses and H502s

Potassium permanganate is a salt that can purify water with a tiny tiny tiny amount. Mix it with glycerol 1:1 and it becomes a potent fire starter

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing some videos on youtube, I have got to get my hands on or actually make a burning torch. I have seen the wickedlasers 100w, but I'm talking about something you can make, and won't break the bank.

Several posts but no answer to OP.

Check Custom Modified Flashlights Buy/Sell/Trade and see many hot wire powerfull incandescent flashlights and parts.

ryansoh3

Newly Enlightened
Since no one seemed to have read the link, here it is for you guys:

Lazy Laser said:
It's been done before but here it is again in all it's glory!

It's running a 9v xenon drop-in and up front is a upgraded glass focus lens

Uses 2 16340's for the power source and here are the results! ;)

What you'll need!

UltraFire C1 from DX

9v Xenon Drop-in from DX

28mm Glass Optic from DX

Please excuse the background noise as construction is being done next door..
Also it was a little windy out at the time

Click here for the video!

DSCF1839-1.jpg
DSCF1840-1.jpg

ToyTank

Enlightened
After seeing some videos on youtube, I have got to get my hands on or actually make a burning torch.

Let us know how it goes!
It would be great if you made a thread with what you purchased, how you built it, and the finished project- or edit the first post of this thread with how it's going

Several posts but no answer to OP.

Check Custom Modified Flashlights Buy/Sell/Trade and see many hot wire powerfull incandescent flashlights and parts.

I have to agree FM. I also told him why he shouldn't make one-no help:eek: