Sunwayman M11R Sirius vs. JETBeam TCR1 Titanium ?

distractosaurus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a high-end production light to pair with a pre-ordered Large Sebenza 25. I'd like one with a titanium finish under $200. The two I've found through my research are a new Sunwayman M11R Sirius or the harder-to-find JETBeam TCR1 Titanium. Anyone here have recommendations between the two lights?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TCR-1 is the nicer light, it has infinite variable output versus the Sirius' preset outputs. The TCR-1 can fit 18350 cells. The clip is also nicer and more sturdy to use.

Although Niteye is a controversial company with some of their lights , you could look at the Eye10 TI-C.

rexracer

Newly Enlightened
Not a JetBeam fan since I've read Tony's posts about their (alleged) practices. But I just purchased the previous model Sunwayman, the V10R Ti+. I highly recommend it. Unlike the Sirius, it does have an infinitely variable output, and a tail-cap clicky - which means it won't accidentally turn on in your pocket. It is slightly longer than the Sirius however, if this is important to you. On the Sirius' side, is the slightly raised control ring, with deeper "cuts" for marginally better "ring control". Both great lights - a toss-up really. It was a difficult decision for me, but I am sure anyone would be happy with either one.

distractosaurus

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the JETBeam RRT01 is just as good functionally as the TCR1? Based on other threads on CPF, the only difference between the two is the finish. General consensus is the infinitely variable output is the way to go, plus the clip is better than the M11R.

rexracer

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the JETBeam RRT01 is just as good functionally as the TCR1? Based on other threads on CPF, the only difference between the two is the finish. General consensus is the infinitely variable output is the way to go, plus the clip is better than the M11R.

Opinions differ on the Mr Elfin style clip. For the small Sirius, the deep pocket clip will allow the light to fit "clipped into" the small "secondary" jeans pocket. The JetBeam and V10-series clips won't go as deep.

rlichter

Newly Enlightened

Infinitely-variable output seems a highly desirable feature, but in practice fixed-levels may prove just as useful. And the latter has a distinct advantage at low-intensity levels where the percentage of energy consumed by the infinitely-variable brightness control circuitry can be significantly higher than that consumed by a fixed-levels circuit. To wit: the Sunwayman M11r Sirius in firefly mode (specified at 0.5 lumen for 30 days) lasts longer than the V10r Ti+ at the lowest setting (specified at 1 lumen for 35 hours). This disparity decreases as brightness increases so that at 100 lumen, there is not a significant difference in run times (confirmed by Sunwayman-USA).

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a high-end production light to pair with a pre-ordered Large Sebenza 25. I'd like one with a titanium finish under $200. The two I've found through my research are a new Sunwayman M11R Sirius or the harder-to-find JETBeam TCR1 Titanium. Anyone here have recommendations between the two lights?

I am in a similar predicament as distractosaurus. I have owned several small torch in the past, but my major problems are either the light would turn itself on by itself, or the cap would unscrew itself and the batteries and the light bulb would fall out in my pocket.
I am looking for a high end titanium torch, preferably a small one that uses a single CR123 or AA/AAA battery, but without the problems I mentioned. I've been researching for my ideal dream torch for many hours over the past several days already, but I found every few forums/reviews addressed the problems that I've had.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is neither of the listed options, but take a look at the Olight S10 Ti.

I bought a S10 and a M11R at the same time... I still have the S10....

Sent from my Galaxy Tab II. Please excuse typos because the kaybkard on this thing is terrible!

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened
I know this is neither of the listed options, but take a look at the Olight S10 Ti.

I bought a S10 and a M11R at the same time... I still have the S10....

Sent from my Galaxy Tab II. Please excuse typos because the kaybkard on this thing is terrible!

G'Day mvyrmnd,
Thanks very much for the reply, much appreciated mate. I got on the Olight website, and found that the only titanium model that they have is the 'S10-Ti limited edition'. I did a bit of research of this particular model, and found one user left a feedback at Amazon's website. It says in part. "What did bother me was the fact that this titanium light has no lock out feature. The regular black anodized version, at $30 less, allows a quarter turn, or so, of the tail cap to lockout the power. This prevents the accidental activation of the light by it pressing up against other stuff in your pocket. And the light is so small, the way I would carry it would just be in my pocket." I usually put my torch in my pocket as well, and that's just the kind of things I want to avoid. Unfortunately, this 'black anodized version' is not made of titanium.
However, I do like some of the specs of some models of Olight, specifically:

• Mil-spec: MIL-STD-810F
  • Highly water resistant to IPX-8
I do travel internationally, and sometimes I get shower on with little warning, therefore, the feature of water resistance can be important to me. At this stage, I am still considering the M11R or possibly even the Sunwayman V10R Ti2, but that seems very difficult to find.
I am in no rush to get a torch right away. I will continue to research until I find the 'right one'. Thanks again for your input!
Cheers,
Mystery-Man

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pocket carry my s10 daily in the same pocket as my keys and various other items. I've never had it turn on by itself.

That amazon review is a bit of a storm in a teacup :)

Mystery-Man

Newly Enlightened
I pocket carry my s10 daily in the same pocket as my keys and various other items. I've never had it turn on by itself.

That amazon review is a bit of a storm in a teacup :)

After several more days of searching, I think I will probably settle down with this Olight S10-Ti Limited Run. The question I have now is whether I should get the Polish or Bead Blasted version? Do you keep it in some kind of holder to minimise scratching with keys and other objects in your pocket?
I still can't make up my mind. The M11R Sirius and the TCR1 still look pretty decent. I think I might start a whole new discussion.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the BB - and it still lookds pretty good after being smashed around with my keys for a few months. The polished one would definitley start to show it after a while. In the end, it's up to you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Whether to go with infinitely variable or not is a choice I leave up to the light. The excellent post by RLichter, which I've quoted below describes one reason not to go for infinitely variable lights, but that said, I love my TC-R1 and have no problems recharging its 18350's which I feed it, since it has the capacity to take them.

I think you understand the difference between materials and finishes, but would like to specify that while there is a finish difference between the two lights you mention, with one being bare and the other anodized, they are actually made of different materials, being of course titanium and aluminum.

It's a big difference and some of them are heat-sinking capacity, durability, lasting beauty or willingness to scar and weight. You have to choose which are important to you, but the Ti light will always be more expensive than its aluminum counterpart from the same lineup.

Infinitely-variable output seems a highly desirable feature, but in practice fixed-levels may prove just as useful. And the latter has a distinct advantage at low-intensity levels where the percentage of energy consumed by the infinitely-variable brightness control circuitry can be significantly higher than that consumed by a fixed-levels circuit. To wit: the Sunwayman M11r Sirius in firefly mode (specified at 0.5 lumen for 30 days) lasts longer than the V10r Ti+ at the lowest setting (specified at 1 lumen for 35 hours). This disparity decreases as brightness increases so that at 100 lumen, there is not a significant difference in run times (confirmed by Sunwayman-USA).
This is such a great post and I believe that it gives us an idea of where today's infinitely variable lights will be shortly in the future.

HDS lights have 21-22 levels that are all regulated, and yet are close enough together that they essentially give the benefits of both set-level and infinitely variable lights in one. That's what I believe most of the dial controlled lights will offer before too long, which will negate one of the negatives, although adding cost at the same time.

I do travel internationally, and sometimes I get shower on with little warning, therefore, the feature of water resistance can be important to me.
Virtually all of the lights that you would even be considering are okay for taking a shower in and I've never had leakage when swimming with them in my pockets in hot water even. While it's still sensible to take some care, no need to worry about your lights having water permeation just by being in the rain.