ThruNite Ti XP-E Pics and Impressions

FlashLion

Enlightened
I could not resist and bought two Thrunite Ti XP-E 3/60.The first flashlight(black color-for me) arrived three weeks ago,the second(pink for gift) is still in the mail.
The ThruNite is a well known brand,but for the price that I paid(under 10$ each) I did not know what to expect.

First impression-Nice looking little light with quality anodisation and excellent knurling.

Thrunite Ti is equipped with orange peel aluminum reflector for smooth beam.
The LED is Cree XP-E R4. I like the light from the XP-E and I prefer it over XP-G led(usually with bad greenish tint)
Cree XP-E is the right choice for this flashlight
:thumbsup: The LED is not well centered as I expected from the brand.

The Ti uses 1 AAA alkaline or NiMH battery.Two brightness modes 3 lumen/60 lumen are the best choice for me.3 lumen mode is great for long runtime and the light is quite enough.60 lumen is great output for 1AAA light.Bright enough for every day use.

I am impressed how long the flashlight works with 1AAA alkaline battery.

No spring at the head or the tail.Thrunite Ti uses rubber foam instead.This makes twist action little harder and not so smooth as with spring.
The screw threads are triangular cut.I expected excellent threads,but there is some crushed tops.That is not good for smooth screwing,but is absolutely acceptable for the price.The O-ring needed some greasing.
Overall the machining is much better than I expected from so cheap flashlight.

Maybe not the 'strongest' switching mechanism,but it works well and is pleasant to use it.

The knurling is really beautiful and helps for easier twisting the head.However in my view the knurling is too aggressive for a small EDC pocket light-this makes cleaning the flashlight harder and I carry it separate from other objects that are easy to scratch.

Excellent grip.

What I like:
+Excellent black finish
+Good shape
+Small size

+Very bright
+Can tail-stand (not very stable,but good to have this option)
+Good choice for LED with good beam
+Excellent throw for such a small flashlight
(even poor centered LED)
+Excellent runtime
+Two brightness modes
+The light is ON while changing the brightness level
+No PWM

What I would like:
-A smoother knurling
-Better tail-standing
-Precisely centered LED

I use this flashlight every day and I am very pleased with it.
This is a great flashlight for the price and is worth it more than other 'smaller' brand lights.

I am sure many of CPF members already know about that.

Part 2- Pink ThruNite Ti XP-E 3/60lm

First impression-Nice color,not thebest machining

There are bad painted spots at the front(around the glass) and big surprise for me was to see a black dots on the surface of the LED.
The LED is off the center.I don't have other flashlight with so bad centered LED.
It's good this does not affect too much the light beam.

Well made threads.

Too small holes for attaching the strap.

+ Nice color
+ Bright enough for 1AAA light
+ Excellent knurling

- Poorly centered LED
- Dirty LED
- Different color Spots
- Unstable tail standing
Nice flashlight for gift,but would be good if there is some quality control.

Short Video

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
Here's one of the many other Thrunite Ti discussion threads available to post in also.

I got a black Ti2 XPG2 a few weeks ago.
It is superior in every way to my black Ti XPE.
Brighter, whiter, and especially far more useable beam.
I bought red, blue, and yellow Ti2 XPG2 for family Xmas gifts.

In my opinion, compared to the Ti2 XPG2,
the Ti XPE isn't even worth wasting a battery on anymore.
It has been retired to the bottom of a drawer.

FlashLion

Enlightened
OK Enjoy your Ti2 flashlight.Of course for more money you can buy much better flashlight from other brands.

buds224

Enlightened
I love the Ti set as is. With lithiums, you get enough of a boost to make them even more of a value for under $10 each. I bought x10, gifted x3, EDCing x2, and packed x5 in my Bug out bag with an x8 pack of lithium primaries and x16 pack of alkaline primaries. If I need more light, I have other lights to choose from.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imo the biggest weakness with this light is the solderblob holding the pcb inside the brass pill. It's a part of the path for the - as well. (under the foam). This is a battery crush design and if you twist too hard, you can break the soldering. And the light will start to behave funky. Might stop working, might flicker, might only work in hi or lo etc. The behaviour all depends on if the broken solderblob will be pressed up against the brass pill and make a complete circuit or not with different tention. Had to fix it on both my old xp-e ti's. (A normal and a firefly model). Both got a nichia219 now, they are worth the led swap :) I can think of many other (more ekspensive) aaa lights that i woldent waste a hi cri 219 led on. Got lots of aaa light to compare with, most of them more expensive and the ti is still really high on my "like" list :)

I really like it on 10440. The firefly mode is still what i consider firefly, but the high mode gets bumped up alot :)
Nasty runtimes in both hi and lo mode compared with most other aaa lights :twothumbs
I like the ui, but dont know how long it will last. Time will tell how rugged it is.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Thanks.
Here's one of the many other Thrunite Ti discussion threads available to post in also.

I got a black Ti2 XPG2 a few weeks ago.
It is superior in every way to my black Ti XPE.
Brighter, whiter, and especially far more useable beam.
I bought red, blue, and yellow Ti2 XPG2 for family Xmas gifts.

In my opinion, compared to the Ti2 XPG2,
the Ti XPE isn't even worth wasting a battery on anymore.
It has been retired to the bottom of a drawer.

I just got two of the Thrunite Ti2 lights, and my Ti throws further than my Ti2 does. I guess I would prefer the Ti, but I thought the XP-G2 was supposed to throw further in the smaller reflector? ......Just noticed the size difference of the LEDs, guess I answered my own question:ohgeez:.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got two of the Thrunite Ti2 lights, and my Ti throws further than my Ti2 does. I guess I would prefer the Ti, but I thought the XP-G2 was supposed to throw further in the smaller reflector?

The xp-e throws further than a xp-g2 in the small aaa format, but got less overall output. To put it simple.
The smaller xp-e led gets more "current pr areal" than the bigger leds when you put a fixed amount of current trough them both (maxed out aaa). So it will glow brighter. Reflector catches this and send a small but intense (high lux) "image of the led" down range.

The bigger xp-g2 is more effective, but it's bigger. So it gets less "current pr areal" and glows dimmer. (areal is bigger so it emmit more lumens, but the glow is less intense). Same reflector cathes this, and sends out the image of a bigger but less intense (less lux) hotspot down range.

Dont got a ti2 but hope they have the same looong runtimes on hi mode.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti, Ti2, Archer, TN30

XP-E R4 is the optimal emitter for Eneloop AAA,
XP-G2 the optimal emitter for Eneloop AA,
XM-L and XM-L2 the optimal emitter for 18650.

my opinion.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ti, Ti2, Archer, TN30

XP-E R4 is the optimal emitter for Eneloop AAA,
XP-G2 the optimal emitter for Eneloop AA,
XM-L and XM-L2 the optimal emitter for 18650.

my opinion.
Depends what you want your light to do. If i want a small floody aaa light, the xp-e is out of the question. For flood i want the max amount of lumens spread over a wide area. The ability to make a tight bright spot is not a benefit for this type of light.
If you want max reach the xp-e ig great. Brighter hotspot, and less spill. So your eyes can focus on whats out there with less disturbance from the spill. If youwant a small 18650 light with max throw, the xm-l wont be optimal. I dont think of what led that fits the different battery size. But if the led will play on it's strenghts or not in the type/size of light im looking for.

saypat

Enlightened
Nice review. Excellent pictures! Only problem I had was that obnoxious music on the video - were they out of piano music?

jondotcom

Enlightened
Have bought several of the Ti version and one is my EDC (I also have a T20 which is also nice). I liked them a lot better when they were only $5 and will probably not buy any more since the price keeps going up.
I actually have become quite annoyed at how much their prices fluctuate... first $5, then $10, now $16 for the Ti. I also notice the price for my T20 is now $39. How irritating.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I also really like the kick in the butt it gets with a 10440.

The Ti2 really wakes up and screams the photons out there.

:D

I got the wee thrunights' for free with the TN30/TN31's.

:D