What Aspheric thrower project are u working on

las3r

Enlightened
Hey guys I love aspheric throwers and I'm posting to see what are u working on large/small projects with all the newer led's that's out,

post any pics if u like and any info like led's,battery used ect.....

if this is the wrong section please move :)

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
I actually finished this "project" a few wks ago so I don't have pics of the innerds or the work, but I'll show some b4 and after and tell what I actually did.
This was my first xml based purchase and it sucked.. Kinda. I liked the zoom capability and the feel of the light itself but hated the UI, So instead of calling it a loss, I decided to at least make it fun.

B4:
qy5agaqu.jpg

It standing next to a 1xD mag(already short yet this light is just as tall).
yga5e5a3.jpg

And AFTER: (same mag)
u3yvy4yh.jpg

Fits nicely as an EDC
era2u3a9.jpg

So it is now a single 18650 light, driven by a 3040 amc7135 board with low/high mode and memory. Springs on both sides of cell to accept any size 18650 Flat or button top(protected or not).

More good stuff :D (no it is not turned on...it's GITD)
jy5e8yda.jpg

qe3ytu9e.jpg

su5y5y4y.jpg

Last edited:

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Thank you.
Since this has now become my throw around(pun intended) /camping light it makes it perfect for locating in the middle of the night, heck its almost as bright as the firefly mode.

Tiresius

Enlightened
Is that host one of those zoom lights where they made the pill to zoom instead of the lens? I'm not too sure why they would make the pill zoom instead of the lens. I like that GITD though. Looks nice.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Where did u get that host at ? Looks nice
eBay

Is that host one of those zoom lights where they made the pill to zoom instead of the lens? I'm not too sure why they would make the pill zoom instead of the lens. I like that GITD though. Looks nice.
Yes on the zoom, No on the pill. There's actually no pill or reflector. The xml is on a board that is screwed to the body. The asperic lens becomes one with the head and by sliding it up and down is what zooms the light.
The head can also be removed to use the light like the old style mini m@gs as a candle mode.

Forgot to mention that the thermal dissipation also lacked on the original unit so I filled the head with aluminum and thermal paste for much improved heat sinking.

Last edited:

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
No.
A pill is normally where the led star sits. It is used to center, heatsink and secure the led to the bottom of some reflectors. This unit does not have a pill.
The led star is secured to the end of the aluminum body(tube) by two screws. Under that(through the body) is some aluminum heatsink, thermal compound and the driver, a spring on the driver that connects the + of the cell and at the other end is the tailcap. This all makes one stationary unit.
Now what moves is the head. This is composed of 4 individual parts that screw together and hold the lens together and becomes one. This is the fat part of the light you see in the pics. The most outter sleeve slides over the body(from the bottom), a lens holder then drops in from the top, then the lens and finally a ring type nut holds it all together to make one unit, this is what slides to and from the emitter.
Here's the head disassembled.
6a4yzuhy.jpg

Tiresius

Enlightened
Ah, cool. This avoids the heat problem so many zoom lights have. I like the design. You can push harder like this and not worry too much about heat.

You did the same thing I did with the UI. Didn't like it and needed to swap it out with something better and more consistent with battery draw. I used the 4AMC driver to power an XP-E emitter.

Like how you shortened it into a pocket thrower. Any plans for it on the future?

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Yeah I normally run it on its lower setting for all my needs but have available that extra umph when needed without the worry of cooking the emitter or the driver.
I've been thinking of a way to make a clip for it but I have to think it throughly as it can't impede the zoom functionality and also that anti-roll ring kinda gets in the way. But I have something in mind.