3" Turbo head questions and dilemma.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently acquired two 3" turbo heads and they are very different. Does anyone know which of these would be the newer one?
Turbo-SBS-2.jpg

Turbo-SBS-3.jpg

As you can see the heads are beveled differently and also the head on the left has a much smother reflector. The beams are also very different.

Turbo-Beams.JPG

The beams are reversed here the one on the right is the one with the smoother reflector. It is hard to see in these beam pics but the one on the right has a much sharper edge and also has a dark spot. Now the one on the left has a very even beam but is not quit as tight. I would assume the one with the smoother reflector should throw farther but I have no tested this yet. Here is the problem I planned on keeping the one with the better beam and was going to sell the other. Now I can't decide which I like better and I want to keep both.
confused.gif
grin.gif

GeoffChan

Enlightened
i'm not sure about the turbohead on the right, but the one on the left is a T2 Turbohead. If you're going to sell that one, can you let me know
wink.gif

Geoff

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Sorry no help here other than to point out that you just created yet Another Flashoholic phrase, "...keep them both"!!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
My guess is that the one with the lip like the SRTH is the more common newer version.

My T3 is like the other version. All my other T TurboHeads are like the version with the Lip.

Please consider that the beams on targets about 20-30 metres away will give you a better idea of how the beams differ in use. These are not intended for indoor use.

The T TurboHeads are "Extended Range" options.

BTW, I'm also interested in buying the TurboHead you don't want!

Al
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
rycen,
Your's must be the dimpled reflector, because he got one from me & I'm pretty certain it was a mirrored reflector.

JT,
I'ld keep the one with the mirrored reflector, as it should throw the fartherest & that's what you get the T-head for in the 1st place. The few dark spots in the center won't show up at 100 yds.
TX

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by txwest:
rycen,
Your's must be the dimpled reflector, because he got one from me & I'm pretty certain it was a mirrored reflector.

JT,
I'ld keep the one with the mirrored reflector, as it should throw the fartherest & that's what you get the T-head for in the 1st plase. The few dark spots in the center won't show up at 100 yds.
TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are correct
smile.gif
I think I am going to keep both however.
grin.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by A00079:
Please consider that the beams on targets about 20-30 metres away will give you a better idea of how the beams differ in use. These are not intended for indoor use.

The T TurboHeads are "Extended Range" options.
Al
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree however it is 19 degrees Fahrenheit out right now!
shocked.gif
Also the field behind my house is covered in snow which makes it very bright and not at all good for long range testing.
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've no idea what that is in real money but I assume that as there is snow, 19F is pretty cold.

That's no excuse not to go sweep up the field and compare beams outside!

Al
icon3.gif
winkie.GIF

K-T

*Moderator*
Well, if you aren't able to compare the two turboheads, I think you should send them both to me and I'll compare them.
grin.gif

Stop whining
wink.gif
, it is -14°C at nights and I still take the flashlight and dog for a walk.
rolleyes.gif

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I think at least one of those looks very familiar to me.
smile.gif

To answer your question, the bell shape (without lip) is older and more rare thant the the straight edge with the lip. The later does have a slightly nicer/tighter beam. I hated to let the "bell" go since it is rare and getting almost impossible to find.
John

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Onyx:
Smooth reflectors and dark spots are the devil on a Mag, but are ok on a Surefire?!?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is not totally smooth and still has a much nicer beam than any Mag I own. The dark spot seams to dissipate the farther it throws.
grin.gif

rycen

Enlightened
so how many 3in turbo?Lets start with what I know
1.dimpled reflector with lip
2.dimpled reflector bell shape no lip smaller dimples
3.dimpled reflector bell shape no lip larger dimples

Size15's

Flashaholic
Because each batch of reflectors is slightly different, over time it is possible to end up with versions from each end of the spectrum.

Al

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3" reflector is the bell shape, no lip with what I could call a very slight wavy surface. The stochaistic finish can't accurately be called "dimpled".