thrunight tn11s broken, i think, advice?

gordonie

Newly Enlightened
I was using my thrunight tn11s I bought about 4 months ago at my deer lease this weekend. All of the sudden during it stopped working, i unscrewed the caps and screwed them back on and it worked, then it stopped, then i shook it hard and it worked for a few minutes then it stopped working again. I'm currently using ultra fire 18650's so i tried some surefire cr1234's and they worked just fine. now not even they are working. I really hate to have to send this back because as we all know that would probably be a month long ordeal. I'm not particular flashlight savvy but it doesn't seem that 100 dollar flashlights should break, i mean there flashlights there not a car or something.

so my question, is there something i could try to remedy this problem myself without being to invasive such that i void any warranty?

thanks!

Gordon

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Sounds like a bad contact somewhere. There is a thread for just this problem around here. Maybe someone knows the link. Or search for troubleshooting guides.
If it's under warranty the best thing to do is use it.
If u want to narrow it down a bit, you can remove the tailcap and place a piece of wire or paperclip or such across the battery and threads and see if it comes and stays on. If yes, you have a bad switch, if no then it's further down. You should contact the manufacturer if you want to keep the warranty.

Btw I have to ask... Did you check the cells voltage?

gordonie

Newly Enlightened
I did exactly and you said and it worked!!! i used a paper clip, pressed the battery against the led part and then with a needle nose pliers applie the paper clip and it worked. I guess its a bad tailcap switch then??? is there a way to get replacements what should i do?

gordon

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
I don't own this light so it's hard to tell you exactly what to do.
My next suggestion would be to see if the tailcap has some sort of a ring that holds the spring or copper plunger down and check for tightness. If it feels loose, tighten. If it is as tight as you can get it, maybe loosen it all the way and re tighten. Could be that it's cross threaded and not making good contact. If you do take the switch out of the tailcap, visually inspect it and see if anything looks odd.
As a last resort: digikey sells switches like that, so does dx and kd but dx has officially made my $hit list because of shipping times so I don't recommend them anymore.

andrew-amanda

Newly Enlightened
I don't own this light so it's hard to tell you exactly what to do.
My next suggestion would be to see if the tailcap has some sort of a ring that holds the spring or copper plunger down and check for tightness. If it feels loose, tighten. If it is as tight as you can get it, maybe loosen it all the way and re tighten. Could be that it's cross threaded and not making good contact. If you do take the switch out of the tailcap, visually inspect it and see if anything looks odd.
As a last resort: digikey sells switches like that, so does dx and kd but dx has officially made my $hit list because of shipping times so I don't recommend them anymore.

Majority of flashlight malfunctions some from its tailcap. Some time you may need to inspect its sponge for wear and tear. Replace them if needed.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to take the switch out of the tailcap, cleen everything with alcohol and q-tips, put it back together.

Latest posts