Veteran Flashlights

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since today is Veterans Day in the US of A, I thought about the flashlight I used back in '69-72 when I was in the service.

The GI anglehead, incandescent, 2xD flashlight. The current model number is MX-991/U and the NSN is 6230-00-139-6174.

The anglehead and a straight version were the only flashlights anybody I was around ever used. I don't recall seeing any other flashlight in Vietnam. But, I was only in a small place.

It was reasonably weather-resistant, but we wrapped them in plastic bags and rubber bands to protect them when dunked.

The various lens covers that were carried in a compartment in the tail cap were useful. They appear to be a different assortment currently.

Back then one was a translucent white disk that didn't project a beam. It was mainly for signalling, I think. I never used it. There was a red transparent disk for "maintaining night vision" and it was used quite a lot. A clear, faceted diffusing lens for spreading the beam into more of a small area flood. Also, an amber lens which I liked using inside my bunker or hootch.

I've been very interested in Wayne's (of Elektrolumens) modification of the GI Anglehead to use Luxeon LEDs.

BC

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
the anglehead fulton light was one of my first "high-end" lights i got when i was a kid. i fondly remember the excitement i felt as i held a "soldier's torchlight" in my hand, though the beam wasn't that much different from other 2D lights i had at that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BC,
I have the Elektrolumens Anglelux which, as you know, is a Fulton MX-991/U GI flashlight. I tell you, after using the regular MX-991/U in Korea for exercises...the Anglelux is a much different beast.
Very bright and white Luxeon driven with a voltage regulator and using Fraen optics is the way that light should be. It would seem that I might be heading back to the middle east by springtime, my Anglelux will be the most used light that I take.
Can't beat 24 hours of regulated brightness followed by a couple of days of gradually dimming light. A ten-pack of D cells with the two already in the light should last me six months. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah, I remember the crook-neck well. I still have my good one and my beater. My wife took hers as well as some of the LS creations and a few "keychain" lights with her on this deployment.

I may have to look into that Anglelux....

-Jason

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, the crook-neck , yeah, that's what we called it. I'd be interested in hearing what your wife actually took on her deployment. You must be up at Ft. Hood?

Chamenos, when I got my first Surefire about 6 years ago, I was amazed that I ever thought a 2D was bright. The MX-991/U certainly needs to get caught up with the advances in materials and technology. It's more out-of-date than the oldest Maglite.

BentheadTX, I'm glad you have that EL Anglelux, especially if you have to deploy there.

I've been blown away with Mr. Bulk's SLGI and the Luxeon III/Fraen Low Profile Optic combination. What other light(s) would you take with you?

BC

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
A couple of thoughts on the angle head. More like useless trivia but here goes: If you want to protect the lens from abuse while in storage, swap the spare lense carrier on the bottom of the light with the filter holder on the front of the light. The threads are the same. Secondly, you can place the lamp assembly in the filter holder and then attach it directly to the light body. This will reduce the length of the crooked part significantly. The original part that the lamp assembly went into can be screwed between the bottom of the light and the filter holder. This will give the light an appearance similar to the old boy scout light.

Chris

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
BCO311--Yep, here at beautiful Ft. Hood. The items my wife took with her to Iraq (and are still seeing service) are a little different from front line troops as she is medical: GI anglehead, maglite with Q3 badboy sandwich and filters and kroll, white Streamlight stylus, Photon III, and an Infinity ultra. It's been a while, but I think was about it of the lights worth mentioning.

8 months later, I can think of a few other lights I would have liked to have given her, but the sandwich was at the top of my spending limit back then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jason, that sounds like a good comprehensive spread of lights. What would you like for her to have in addition to those?

BC

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the sandwich is great, I would have liked to have given her an Arc LS with 2-AA holder. I was thinking an EverLED for the Anglehead, but the AngleLux sounds good too. Replacement for Infinity Ultra would have been Arc AA.

Although I like A123 lights, they're impractical in an extended deployment such as this. Gotta stick with those AA's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif many packs of AA's and a Brunton solar recharger and a few rechargables went over as well.

Oh and I also remembered that I gave her an Infinity amber and a headlamp, but I can't remember what kind or brand...

-Jason

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
BC: after seeing a 5w luxeon in action, i was amazed that i ever thought my first 6P was bright and white; its all relative i guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flownosaj,
I think the Everleds are available in red, if so, just change out the buld in the stock anglehead and she will then have a bright blackout light. The EL Anglelux can fill in as the ultra-long running light for general use.
Took my AF medical butt to Iraq earlier this year and my flashlights worked well. My minimag BB500 was the main light that I used...it sure sucked those batteries down! The miniLGI (3AAA) was in constant use by people that had to borrow a light. The 5W Cyan 5D cannon was generally for entertainment as it was too intense.
Next spring is coming soon so I ponder the lights I need to bring. Basically, I need a looooong run time light (Anglelux 2D), a very bright long throw light with decent run times (2D Mag Madmax+ R2H), very bright small lights (Two BB500 R2H minimags) a red blackout light (AA Dorcy with red LS) a bright keychain light (Micro Illuminator AAA) direct drive light to lend to my co-worker (3AAA miniLGI/McFlood) The last light is very important!
Generally, the medics are on the opposite side of the camp as the showers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I just need a small, waterproof light that has enough light to walk with yet, will run a long time on a single AA battery. The small light will be used with a lanyard and hung around the neck so it will be with you in the shower. I have battled back and forth between an Infinity Ultra G or Arc AA. Figure the Arc AA would be better as it is brighter and lasts longer on a battery. It will also be a great light to read with while in the tent.
Since I will be the guy with all the LED flashlights, people will want to borrow them all the time. When I order the shortwave from CountyComm, I will have him throw in around 4 Infinity Ultra G's. You don't think I would lend out an Arc AA do you?
This time, I will be hauling 12 D batteries, 48 AA batteries and 24 AAA batteries. Looking for a small charger and 10 AA NiMH batteries to feed the BB500 R2H minimags and diskman/speakers. I have four months to ponder what I need... if I could get an Arc LS4 with 2AA tail life would be good!
BTW, it was nice of you to send the BB400 Q3 minimag with her, she will get a lot of use out of it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Infinity Ultra is actually brighter than needed for reading in a tent. Try a regular Infinity, which lasts 40 hours on a single AA. It's about half as bright as an Ultra but is still fine for most purposes an Ultra is good for. They're just $12.00 from Batterystation.