How are the lumens factory E-series head and Led assembly in quality?

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I bought a used surefire E2D incan light. I want to upgrade it to led and lumens factory has the warm white drop in. I have to buy the head unit also it says. This would be $60. Does anyone have or have used this kit?
thanks for all help
trevor

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big chance of getting tint you don't like, buzzing driver on low and medium mode (low voltage dropin), first gen had some issues where it wasn't watertight at the lens but now I see they have gen2 so it should be fixed, ano is a little glossier than Surefire HA-BK...

But I have TWO black versions, one was cool white (green) the other one was warm white (orange)... both opened and replaced with pure white XPG R5 in first and Nichia 219 in second... buzzing can be ignored... I don't dive with my flashlight so water-tightness is not an issue and I use it with VG FB1-BK bodies... so not bad choice...

Oh, when opened, the pill was not actually FLAT underneath the LED PCB, they rather use thin teflon ring and fill it up with thermal paste for heat transfer... I fixed both of mine on grinder flattening the surface allowing more metal to metal contact... second thing... you leave it on high too long and when it gets hot enough, it won't change modes... but I can't remember if I run it with CR123 or IMR16340... maybe the problem is not existent on primaries...

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, that helped me alot, is there a better choice for a drop in.(surefire, malkoff)
trevor
Big chance of getting tint you don't like, buzzing driver on low and medium mode (low voltage dropin), first gen had some issues where it wasn't watertight at the lens but now I see they have gen2 so it should be fixed, ano is a little glossier than Surefire HA-BK...

But I have TWO black versions, one was cool white (green) the other one was warm white (orange)... both opened and replaced with pure white XPG R5 in first and Nichia 219 in second... buzzing can be ignored... I don't dive with my flashlight so water-tightness is not an issue and I use it with VG FB1-BK bodies... so not bad choice...

Oh, when opened, the pill was not actually FLAT underneath the LED PCB, they rather use thin teflon ring and fill it up with thermal paste for heat transfer... I fixed both of mine on grinder flattening the surface allowing more metal to metal contact... second thing... you leave it on high too long and when it gets hot enough, it won't change modes... but I can't remember if I run it with CR123 or IMR16340... maybe the problem is not existent on primaries...

N/Apower

Enlightened
Jeez. Just get a KX2C from Surefire. Mine is 6500K tint and puts out a beam of light that I have been unable to best with anything run under 2 amps. I have most of Malkoff's full output P60 modules, and a ton from Nailbender, and the KX2C is what stays on my M4.

Advantages to the KX2C:

-Optics...it makes my supposedly 200 lumen light perform roughly like a 400-450 lumen light outside.
-CoC polymer optics...Everyone else uses Acrylic or Polycarbonate. These are very poor lens materials as they are very heat susceptible, and most Acrylics are laser-cut. That means if ANY alcohol gets on them, they will spider-web like crazy. I tested it with an M61 lens-kit, and yep, the YouTube videos are accurate. CoC is not prone to this, and it has very good thermal properties. Surefire is the only company using CoC in their optics.

-Mine has a tint of 6500K, and Surefire is currently, if I am not mistaken, using 75+ CRI LED's in this light. Comparing it to other lights I have that are 75CRI, I agree, based on my MK1 Eyeball, Calibrated, lol.

-Waterproof to any reasonable standard unless you're looking for a true dive-light.

-Quality construction in the US: Won't vibrate components loose if used on a weapon, or dropped a few times, or whatever.

-Warranty...If you have a problem, Surefire WILL! fix it. I once had an M600A that the tail-cap clicky died on (known issue a few years back) and Surefire sent me TWO replacements that were the upgraded type, free, no questions asked. My other experience is that Noveske does not use the thick spacers they provide for suppressor mounts. Garin Lee and Barry Dueck were willing to replace my suppressor mount for me using this spacer if I wanted, free of charge, and pay shipping back to me. You CANNOT beat the head of a department (Suppressor division) willing to personally wrench on your gear. For free. Cannot be beat! However, this was not necessary as Noveske uses a threading profile that does not require the spacer, as most M4 barrels do due to thread relief and shoulder radius. They make good kit, but at first, Garin Lee (who saw a picture of my M4) brought to my attention that this might be an issue and placed the offer out there unsolicited.

Yes, I'm a Surefire whore, but mainly, I'm a "If it works, I'll buy it, and I really don't care what brand it is as long as it WORKS" kind of guy. My Surefire products---from the muzzle devices to the suppressors to my lights---just WORK. So I recommend them.

Last edited:

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, i really want a warn or neutral beam. Maybe i will just have to put in a lumens factory HO bulb and run imr batteries
trevor

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, i really want a warn or neutral beam. Maybe i will just have to put in a lumens factory HO bulb and run imr batteries
trevor

I have a LF head in the mail and I should have it in a day or 2.
I will let you know how it is.
I am afraid it will buzz and look terrible in which case it will be returned but I am hoping it is OK of course.

I just was not ready to pay the +$100 for a Surefire head yet.

We will see.

Ed

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, please do let me know, i will buy a lumens factory if it is of decent quality
trevor
I have a LF head in the mail and I should have it in a day or 2.
I will let you know how it is.
I am afraid it will buzz and look terrible in which case it will be returned but I am hoping it is OK of course.

I just was not ready to pay the +$100 for a Surefire head yet.

We will see.

Ed

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I was thinking of getting one of these (3.0V-3.7V XP-G warm white) to go together with a Vital Gear FB1 body. Both are available in black, but not a clue as to how different the black is.

Any experience with this combo?

Darvis

Enlightened
A great option is always a VME head from Malkoff and then any M6x or M3x that suits your needs...

ncvarmint

Newly Enlightened
It looks like the light would be too big to carry with that head on it. I want to keep t compact.
trevor
A great option is always a VME head from Malkoff and then any M6x or M3x that suits your needs...

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Afaik the Malkoff VME head only gives you a single mode, right? I'd find a single mode level kind of limiting. 3-mode is where it's at for me, preferably in something like a 1-20-200 spacing.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
AVService,
did you recieve the LF.head yet?
trevor

I did get the Head yesterday and got to try it out some last night.

First impression is really pretty good.

It does not match any surefire I have ever seen for color so I can not imagine what they were thinking there?
The Bezel is a little too aggressive and I imagine it will eat my pocket if I try to carry it in one too.
This head is also longer than a stock E series head and so the light is altogether about 1/2" longer but also now a modern versatile daily driver to me.

The overall feel and fit and finish of the head itself is very nice. The Bezel is too tight to easily remove and I have not had time yet to Persuade it off but I am curious if the elements can be exchanged or not from the other parts they sell.

The light and beam produced is very nice. Mine is a real thrower and also produces some decent spill too.
It is a lot brighter than the E2E incandescent head I took off and it also runs cooler and has 3 speeds for more flexibility.
I am impressed enough with this that I will likely buy 1 0r 2 more for some Vital Gear hosts I have coming.

Mine does not buzz at all and there are no rattles or bad gaps or machining that are obvious,the only real oddity is the color?
Mine came from Lighthound and they only show one color choice so if the manufacturer offers more that may be a consideration.

I looked at the actual Surefire heads to use instead but in the end I went with the lower price,higher output and multiple levels with memory and I am happy that I did.

Ed

skillet

Enlightened
and the KX2C is what stays on my M4.

What I couldn't understand is how you got that E series head mounted on the M series body. Or how you ran it with 4 primaries or 2 rechargeables. Maybe he uses spacers? Maybe he just likes the body profile for usability?...

Re-read the post. Still no sense.

Finally came back to it again.

Things that go bang.. :crackup: I see the light!!!!

N/Apower

Enlightened
What I couldn't understand is how you got that E series head mounted on the M series body. Or how you ran it with 4 primaries or 2 rechargeables. Maybe he uses spacers? Maybe he just likes the body profile for usability?...

Re-read the post. Still no sense.

Finally came back to it again.

Things that go bang.. :crackup: I see the light!!!!

I'm sorry, I forget I'm on a flashlight forum sometimes. I should have been more specific as to what m4 I meant, lol