Got a Nitecore MT40 almost expected it to be brighter

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I picked the MT40 because it also has the longer run times of a medium and low mode. The BC40 did not offer the longer run times. Now, it was snowing a little, so there was a glare in the air because the beam was bright! But, I expected a tree that is 100 yards away to be lit up more. I was able to see that the light has a larger hotspot and brighter spill beam than my other lights, and that was the reason for the purchase. Maybe the snow acted like fog and killed the distance portion of the beam? I guess from the going gear and other vids and beam shots I researched, I was expecting more. Karl

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything that was glaring off the snow, wasn't making it to the target.

I don't have this light, but the specs indicate it should throw very well for a light of its size.
So, I would test it again in clear conditions to see how it actually does.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
That's what I am hoping. My pelican 7060 cut through some of the light snow and faintly lit up the tree, about as much when it is clear out. I didn't think the MT40 was any brighter on the tree, but there was a lot more light reflected off what snow was in the air. I am really hoping it lights up that tree at 100 yards better than the 7060 does!!

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I just compared the MT40 to the 7060 again- clear night. The MT40 is brighter On a tree my rangefinder says is 100 yards. I am comparing the lights on snow-covered ground, but out to about 40 yards plus the MT40 has a nice bright spill, even on high (turbo is great). I did not take the lights into the woods yet, but I am confident the MT40 will be what I was looking for. Thanks to all who offered advice on my BC40 MT40 TK35 debate and questions. You gave great advice!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spill is what's killing the throw. Or, rather, your perception of throw.

The light from the spill is reflecting off the white snow in the background and redirected towards you, which means that your eyes will adjust to compensate for the glare by shrinking their pupils, thus the decreased perception of throw.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Wow. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I never thought the glare off the snow on the ground (which is not blinding) would effect the brightness of the hotspot, and overal perceived range of the beam! I understand about glare, that's why fog lights work so well on a car, the top part of the beam is cut off to reduce or eliminate the bounce-back glare above the hood and into your eyes. So the snow effects the perceived distance of the flashlight beam for the same reason?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes.

This is why beams with wide spot/none-to-minimal spill work great when there are obscurants that can reflect the light back. Firefighters prefer tight beams and minimal spill because of their ability to cut through smoke and fog, instead of illuminating the said smoke and fog and blinding them.

Try comparing your MT40 with an aspheric light with similar lux in a snowy/foggy condition. You will IMMEDIATELY notice the difference.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Well the MT40 is decently bright, and has nice color. BUT, regardless of what the lumen numbers are, there is NOT all that much difference in brightness between "High" and "Turbo". At least on my light. And both Fenix batteries are at 4.05 volts.