Any idea on when the XML U4's are going to hit the market?

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
I mean do any of ya'll think the major companies will start replacing the U2 emitters with U3 or U4 emitters since they can be driven harder? Won't that allow them to be brighter as a package?

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U3 are already beginning to come out in some lights.
I don't know about a U4.

But the XML2 has already been announced, and we should be seeing that in some lights in the near future.

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
Which is why I'm teetering on my decision to buy an Eagletac G25C2 MkII which uses the XML U2. I really like the performance and UI. However, I have a feeling that I'll buy one and then Eagletac will release a new version with 200 more lumens in 3 months. Technology stinks when you're on the cusp of an upgrade.

druidmars

Enlightened
Which is why I'm teetering on my decision to buy an Eagletac G25C2 MkII which uses the XML U2. I really like the performance and UI. However, I have a feeling that I'll buy one and then Eagletac will release a new version with 200 more lumens in 3 months. Technology stinks when you're on the cusp of an upgrade.

I feel the same way! But would that scenario be that close I wonder?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the hazards of buying 'leading edge' product is by defintion, they are not leading edge for long! It is almost guaranteed within 6 months it will be replaced by something better and less expensive. IN other words if you look back, you are likely to be sick....

I have a couple of very old laptops, a Toshiba 5200 and an IBM PS/2-700C. They each cost well over $5000 when new. The PS/2-700C is historically signficant because it was the first laptop with an active matrix color display. They were state of the art when I bought them. I suspect most mobile phones today probably has substantially more CPU 'horespower' than either of them.....

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way! But would that scenario be that close I wonder?

^Isnt that the "Somewhere in Time" version of Eddie? You know there's like 30-40 hidden messages on that album cover...

I bought the Eagletac G25C2 with the U2, but that was back in June, so I got the 770L version, not the 1000L version.

Has Cree actually created a U4 yet, or ever? If there are coming out with an XML2, and they are just beginning to offer the U3, then why would they bother with a U4?

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new XM-L2 T6 coming out is essentially an XM-L U3. It may take 6 months for the XML2 to start showing up in production models. In 6 months when the lights are ready for purchase, a new XM-L2 U2 will be announced, and you will want to hold off another 6 months till that starts showing up in lights. I would think any new XMLU2 light is a good buy. The new Eagletac TX25C2 is very similar to the G25C2 but smaller and cheaper.

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
The new XM-L2 T6 coming out is essentially an XM-L U3. It may take 6 months for the XML2 to start showing up in production models. In 6 months when the lights are ready for purchase, a new XM-L2 U2 will be announced, and you will want to hold off another 6 months till that starts showing up in lights. I would think any new XMLU2 light is a good buy. The new Eagletac TX25C2 is very similar to the G25C2 but smaller and cheaper.

Thanks for giving me yet another light to want; lol. However, wouldn't the G25C2 MKII put out more light and throw further since the head is larger?

Erik1213

Enlightened

What about this XM-L2 U2 LED?

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
If you wait til the new one comes out their will be a new the next week. So buy it now and enjoy it today.:nana:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage of buying the T20c2 mk2 is that when an upgrade comes you can just buy the module ;) and stay on Eagletacs leading edge for $30 a module? And sell your old module for $15 ;)

druidmars

Enlightened
^Isnt that the "Somewhere in Time" version of Eddie? You know there's like 30-40 hidden messages on that album cover...

I bought the Eagletac G25C2 with the U2, but that was back in June, so I got the 770L version, not the 1000L version.

Has Cree actually created a U4 yet, or ever? If there are coming out with an XML2, and they are just beginning to offer the U3, then why would they bother with a U4?

It is indeed the "Somewhere in Time" version of Eddie and I knew about some hidden messages, which I found out myself but had no idea there were so many of them. It's my favorite album from them. Its cover it's so futuristic that I associate it with lights and such, hence the choice. Thanks for noticing it :)

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
You could always just wait a few months. Mull over other hobbies during the wait...

Who am I kidding? Just stick flashlights into my veins already. (channeling Barney Gumble from the Simpsons)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I hope that new LEDs will hit the market soon!:) The U3 is allready here and used by Sunwayman among others. We will see more and more use of the U3 during 2013. So far i can´t give any example of any brand that use the XML2 diod,but i have also read that it´s going to be introduced during 2013. However regarding the U4 i don´t have a qlue at all:thinking:,but hopefully we will se it being introduced during 2013.

Btw,"Somewhere in Time" is great! I like Iron Maiden! :rock:

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
If you wait til the new one comes out their will be a new the next week. So buy it now and enjoy it today.:nana:

I took your advice and ordered it last night. I got a shipment confirmation from GG today. Woohoo! Now I just need to decide what to do with my Lumintop TD15X. I can't really think of a good use for it.

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
The advantage of buying the T20c2 mk2 is that when an upgrade comes you can just buy the module ;) and stay on Eagletacs leading edge for $30 a module? And sell your old module for $15 ;)

I saw that on their website. I really do like that idea. I wonder how thier latest model would fare against my old Maelstrom G5. Looks like I need to do some searching. I bet Selfbuilt has compared them.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've got a U5, its a very nice...(Monty Python voice...)

JustinTime

Newly Enlightened
You could always just wait a few months. Mull over other hobbies during the wait...

Who am I kidding? Just stick flashlights into my veins already. (channeling Barney Gumble from the Simpsons)

I do have other hobbies I could play with but I'm swinging back to flashlights at the moment. I'm hot and cold with hobbies. That is the largest problem with having too many hobbies.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
I do have other hobbies I could play with but I'm swinging back to flashlights at the moment. I'm hot and cold with hobbies. That is the largest problem with having too many hobbies.

You're preaching to the choir, Good Sir.