Fenix PD32 "UE" doesn't look neutral white to me

pertinax

Enlightened
Just received it yesterday. It's allegedly neutral white-- but it's the blue-est light I've bought in years. Did I get the wrong version? It's far far bluer than any of the 4Sevens neutrals, and a Thrunite neutral, and the old Fenix TK20. Anyone else have one that seems awfully blue? I'm thinking of returning it.

markr6

Flashaholic
It shouldn't be anywhere near blue. That really seems like something got mixed up. Are you sure they sent you the UE and not the regular PD32? (says right on the head).

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They claim 5000K CCT.
That's in neutral territory.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds that you have got PD32 UE with cool white XM-L. Or an XP-G, but that would directly be noticable by the size of the die.

pertinax

Enlightened
It sounds that you have got PD32 UE with cool white XM-L. Or an XP-G, but that would directly be noticable by the size of the die.
Well, the die looks the same as the XML in my Thrunite, but the colors aren't remotely the same. Yes, the head says "UE", and the box says "neutral white". Maybe I'm just overly sensitive. I pulled out a new 4Sevens cool white that I was saving for a gift, and in comparison to that one, it's "neutral". It's about half way between a 4Sevens' neutral and a 4Sevens' cool white. I guess that's what passes for "neutral" nowadays. My other neutrals are creamy-yellow in comparison. This thing doesn't make red "pop" when you shine it on multi-colored objects. But it's bright (really, really bright), small, and lightweight. I guess I'll keep it. I sure do wish there was more emphasis on tint and CRI out there in the marketplace. None of these things comes close to a good hotwire in color resolution. Thanks for the comments. Pertinax

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
First time when I turned-on my UE I thought it was CW too. Than I compared it with my E35 and I saw it was definitely NW.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
5000K is not neutral, it is the start of cool-white.
That being said, 5000K is WAY better than 6500K. But a 4000-4500K would be better.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Sounds a little bit like my LD40.
When I compare it to other neutral lights like 4 sevens, Fenix TK20, EagleTac P20C2 and some other it looks cool white.
Also compared to indoor light that is warm
If I then switch off all light, light up a cool white flashlight and then turn on the LD40 it looks much warmer.

It is actually my favorite tint I think, since it looks really bright and white and still not that sometimes ghost like cool white light.
That is about 5000 K, right?
Those lights I mentioned above are around 4300K I think and cool white about 6000K

But I must say that old TK20 has a beautiful tint...

It's much about what situation the light is used in and what ambient light tint there might be.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand it's so relative with the perception of tints. I perceive my PD32UE as cream tinted, very similar to my example of the 1st release of Malkoff M61WL.

pertinax

Enlightened
In some reviews I've seen of the Fenix PD32 U.E., light tints seem clearly "cool white", for example, in this review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Edition-(XM-L-T6-NW-1x18650-2xCR123A)-Review The worst light tone, the cooldest, is the one of the PD32 U.E. I think that with this flashlight FENIX confused its specs..
That guy's neighbors must love him... Yeah, it's not a very good tint. Better than some-- but way worse than others. The TK20 is still my favorite Fenix. Great throw, built like a tank, great tint, bright, and uses AAs. Still my standard reference light. Alas, many of you may never know what you're missing, what with the new LEDs being so much larger (which kills throw).

markr6

Flashaholic
In some reviews I've seen of the Fenix PD32 U.E., light tints seem clearly "cool white", for example, in this review:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?349861-Fenix-PD32-Ultimate-Edition-%28XM-L-T6-NW-1x18650-2xCR123A%29-Review

The worst light tone, the cooldest, is the one of the PD32 U.E. I think that with this flashlight FENIX confused its specs..

Then I'm starting to lose faith in Fenix if people really are getting cool tints with the UE. I love their lights and the quality but they need to work on cconsistency. I know that has to do with the actual LED, but could they control this better with selections of LEDs?

My PD32UE a very nice neutral, almost pure white when testing on white walls. To hear people are getting cool tints is upsetting, and unfortunatley, not surprising. I've have several torches of the same model and LED with widely varied tints.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
In some reviews I've seen of the Fenix PD32 U.E., light tints seem clearly "cool white", for example, in this review:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?349861-Fenix-PD32-Ultimate-Edition-%28XM-L-T6-NW-1x18650-2xCR123A%29-Review

The worst light tone, the cooldest, is the one of the PD32 U.E. I think that with this flashlight FENIX confused its specs..

Those photos are made with auto whitebalance and doesn't say anything about tint since the camera will convert it to whatever the camera consider white.
I made a little whitebalance test in this thread, post #26:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...te-LED-tints&p=3384590&viewfull=1#post3384590

snala

Newly Enlightened
My UE is about perfect to my eyes, not blue, not green, nice slightly creamy white.
+1.
Pertinax, I get what you are saying about TK20 (TA20?) and how good it is but the PD32 UE version isn't about throw as a comparison. That extra big hot spot combined with the the neutral output is exactly why I bought and like this light so much.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I bought the PD32 UE for my brother for Christmas. It is neutral, but seems way on the high end of neutral. I turned on my TK35 next to it, and then I could tell it was "neutral." Definately not cool white. I think the tint is perfect. I can't stand warm white.

markr6

Flashaholic
I agree about it being the perfect tint. I could even go a little cooler but not much. I'm afraid my 4200K H600w will be too warm, but I'm really tired of my H51 cool white...it's just too blue. I'll know for sure in a few days when the H600w arrives.