New member with safety question

SPIKE1

Newly Enlightened
hi all , new member here so forgive me if this has been already covered,
i have gone through a few posts but there are sooo many.
i have had an interest in this field for years and have been used to lights like the Dragon t12 which i found to be a good allround light, however i have just ordered a 65w magic scorpion , hoping it will help me understand the next level. here is where my question begins, After reading certain posts, Nightsword in particular, at what level is UV protection required, and if required are there any recomendations at to which goggles / mask gives the best protection, i have been to displays in the past where this subject has never even been broached. I do actually suffer with eye problems (diabetic retinopathy) and do not want to damage my eyes further with what seems to be an "unseen" danger.
So any reccomendations or info will be really appreciated. thanks and hello to you all.
Spike.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Spike1, UV output isn't normally an overriding issue for these types of lamps, in this application. Much of the UV is blocked by the envelope or the lens/window. Depending on factors, I know that some UV can still be present so you obviously wouldn't want to spend hours staring at the arc-chamber from the side while it's running. The discomfort resulting from the sheer brightness of these lights normally keeps people from shining them at or near their face though. It's rarely discussed because the "dangers" are pretty insignificant. For example, mine don't even activate my photochromic sunglasses. To put it in perspective, the danger would be much greater if you were to use, inexpensive, unprotected cells if your new light. However, if you use high quality cells and don't try to sun tan with your light, you shouldn't be at any risk.

Hopefully other members with more familiarity with UV output will chime in as well...

Last edited:

argleargle

Enlightened
If I fool around with an open air carbon-arc light, does anyone have suggestions on what material to use to block UV whilst still permitting visible spectrum? My eyes are bad enough as it is. Welding goggles on my face, sure. I'm wondering more about trying to fashion a protective lens.

This is the part where I read, study and ask questions before I blind myself. :)

SPIKE1

Newly Enlightened
More or less my thoughts on the subject, better to ask FIRST!

argleargle

Enlightened
I've read that clear polycarbonate sort of stops some UV. Haven't really found any hard numbers, yet. Apparently, regular glass stops a tiny bit of UV, but not much. I've read that acetylene welding goggles don't stop enough UV for serious arc light work and that a welding mask is more appropriate, along with covering all exposed skin.

Watching youtubes of people making home made carbon filament lamps has really caught my interest lately. It looks completely awesome, in my opinion. I would imagine it's the same spectrum as carbon arc. Some of these guys are standing right in the light blast, sometimes their faces within inches to get on the camera along with the light. One guy advocated putting a glass jar over the carbon, but stated it was to contain the fumes.

I've done some pretty reckless things in my day, but I don't think most of these youtubers are well-versed in safety. I'd rather listen to a pro than an amateur.

I'm seeing spots just THINKING about some of the stuff I've seen people do lately.

Last edited:

SPIKE1

Newly Enlightened
Mmm, i agree. I have one pair of eyes, slightly used but working and i want to keep it that way. I have not seen anyone selling spares yet, So safety first!