Fed-EX, UPS, OR USPS, which do you prefer.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
When doing business with a dealer. Which of these services to you prefer for domestic shipping? Which do you prefer for international? And please tell me why if you could. Thanks for any input you can provide.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPS or FedEx.

Seems quick and reliable to me. For international I think I would go Fedex. I have had some bad experiences with USPS whereas I haven't had any with UPS or FedEx. Besides, my UPS man is very nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well..
FedEx lost a computer, and I had to search the neighborhood for it due to Fedex dropping it off at the wrong house (which is against Fedex rules to release a package w/out a sig.). Fed Ex gave me the "sorry, can't find it" speech and were of no help.

UPS just lost a knife being sent to me...and I was given another "sorry, we lost it" speech.

USPS has never lost anything, is cheaper, and is usually on time...

--dan

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
For domestic I like the FedEx Express. (It's quick and not too bad on the price.)
I don't like the FedEx ground(slow, slow, slow) and just about as expensive

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
I work for UPS, Fedex does it faster and USPS does it as fast but way cheaper. None of them have ever lost anything for me but Fedex does sometimes drop things off at the wrong Apt.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've found that domesticly, I prefer USPS Priority Mail when offered. It's the cheapest 2-3 day service by far, and I have had no problems with delivery. Avoid USPS when shipping across borders, because the parcel will be handed off to postal service or a contracted delivery service in the receiving country, and you lose the tracking trail right there usually.

UPS and FedEx are about equal as far as international shipping reliablility, they each have their own distribution system outside of international post, and can track a parcel to delivery.

Of course if money is no object and you want it as quick as possible, FedEx overnight is a wonderful thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
usps is fastest and in my mailbox or parcel locker when I get home, no hassle. Otherwise Fedex. UPS sucks.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm expecting an argon ion laser from Federal Express Overnight, so I ought to know by 3pm PST tomorrow (Wednesday) if they're worth their {vulgar term for feces} or not.

I've had UPS crunch up a box pretty good, and USPS delivered me a box full of busted insulators a year or two back, but no complaints about Federal Express so far.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
USPS Priority Mail is my favorite for both shipping and receiving. Just sent two packages overseas with Global Priority Mail and it worked great.
oldgrandpajack

Catapult

Enlightened
I've had at least one problem with all three for domestic. For me, I would choose the fastest/cheapest.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is best depends very much on the mission you are trying accomplish. If you need to get something delivered overnight, Fedex is hard to beat, For 2-3 day service, UPS usually has better prices,and for ground transportation, if it is more than a 2-3 pounds, UPS wins every time.
For less than 3 pounds, you have to the math, at one pound USPS Priority mail wins, but after that it gets more complex.

If you are shipping outside the USA, it depends upon the destination. Fedex works very well in places that are friendly to the USA, and can be a disaster in places that aren't. For example if you want to ship to Saudi Arabia, and have it arrive on time, DHL. Fedex doesn't have a courier license into the Kingdom, and that causes massive delays this time of year (Ramadan). To unfriendly places, DHL wins hands down, although DHL is sometime referred to as
Documents hopelessly Lost, or Don't Have it, Left it.
The one bad apple in the whole bunch in Fedex ground/Home. Avoid those people like the plague. The only thing I ever get from them is headache.

International shiment by post usually doesn't get charge import duties or local taxes. Such shipments by UPS, DHL or Fedex always will, since they handle their own clearance, and usually charge like a wounded bull for the honor of doing so.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far USPS hasn't let me down... yet. After all the horror stories I've heard on taxes/charges that come back to you after your package has been delivered by Fedex/UPS, it makes me think twice, cos it could all end up costing me twice as much! Approximately 10 days from the US to where I am, and no extra/hidden charges. USPS has my vote, for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS for sure. i've never lost a package sent through USPS, and they've always come on time. the flat-rate envelopes are great. plus i don't get nailed by custom taxes like i did the last time i ordered through Fed-Ex.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello JonSidneyB,

My son and I do a lot of international shipping and we prefer to use EMS from the USPS. It costs a little more but offers tracking and insurance.

I had one shipment to France get stuck in customs for 2 weeks. It happens that the USPS was changing their system to have the same tracking number follow the package from drop off to delivery. My package got tied up in the change over (or at least that is what they told me). The package did arrive in good condition.

I have also utilized FedEx for overseas shipments. The cost is a bit high, but the service is excellent.

Tom

Bill.H

Enlightened
I believe it depends on where you live - that some locations have better managers and a better attitude among their people which is reflected in how they do their jobs. Or maybe you have an exceptionally competent person on your route, or a real jerk with so much seniority it's hard to fire him. Where I used to live, FedEx was 10x better than UPS, here they're the same. In both places USPS never lost anything but they always seemed to mangle it.
I've also found my neighbor's opinions generally matched mine; which reinforces my belief it's your local delivery person that matters most.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got that argon ion laser via Federal Express Overnight at about 2:30pm PST today (about an hour and ten minutes ago).

It is VERY MUCH heavier and larger than I thought it was going to be. It doesn't look damaged, but I'm waiting for the power-on instructions via email before I can determine whether they handled it with kid's gloves or if they managed to bang it up enough to break it.

So far though, Federal Express has a 100% on-time and no-breakage record with me.

(Edit, 8:22pm PST same night)
The laser works great, so they DID handle it with children's gloves. Fed Ex's record of 100% still stands! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
USPS Priority Mail is my favorite because it is the cheapest option to deliver to Hawaii. It usually takes 2 days from the West Coast and 3 days from the East Coast (not including Sundays).