Imalent        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed-EX, UPS, OR USPS, which do you prefer.

Default Fed-EX, UPS, OR USPS, which do you prefer.

When doing business with a dealer. Which of these services to you prefer for domestic shipping? Which do you prefer for international? And please tell me why if you could. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Default Re: Fed-EX, UPS, OR USPS, which do you prefer.

UPS or FedEx.

Seems quick and reliable to me. For international I think I would go Fedex. I have had some bad experiences with USPS whereas I haven't had any with UPS or FedEx. Besides, my UPS man is very nice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Well..
    FedEx lost a computer, and I had to search the neighborhood for it due to Fedex dropping it off at the wrong house (which is against Fedex rules to release a package w/out a sig.). Fed Ex gave me the "sorry, can't find it" speech and were of no help.

UPS just lost a knife being sent to me...and I was given another "sorry, we lost it" speech.

USPS has never lost anything, is cheaper, and is usually on time...

--dan

For domestic I like the FedEx Express. (It's quick and not too bad on the price.)
    I don't like the FedEx ground(slow, slow, slow) and just about as expensive

I work for UPS, Fedex does it faster and USPS does it as fast but way cheaper. None of them have ever lost anything for me but Fedex does sometimes drop things off at the wrong Apt.

I've found that domesticly, I prefer USPS Priority Mail when offered. It's the cheapest 2-3 day service by far, and I have had no problems with delivery. Avoid USPS when shipping across borders, because the parcel will be handed off to postal service or a contracted delivery service in the receiving country, and you lose the tracking trail right there usually.

UPS and FedEx are about equal as far as international shipping reliablility, they each have their own distribution system outside of international post, and can track a parcel to delivery.

Of course if money is no object and you want it as quick as possible, FedEx overnight is a wonderful thing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

usps is fastest and in my mailbox or parcel locker when I get home, no hassle. Otherwise Fedex. UPS sucks.

I'm expecting an argon ion laser from Federal Express Overnight, so I ought to know by 3pm PST tomorrow (Wednesday) if they're worth their {vulgar term for feces} or not.

I've had UPS crunch up a box pretty good, and USPS delivered me a box full of busted insulators a year or two back, but no complaints about Federal Express so far.

USPS Priority Mail is my favorite for both shipping and receiving. Just sent two packages overseas with Global Priority Mail and it worked great.
    oldgrandpajack

Flashaholic

I've had at least one problem with all three for domestic. For me, I would choose the fastest/cheapest.

USPS Priority Mail (if an option.)

Which is best depends very much on the mission you are trying accomplish. If you need to get something delivered overnight, Fedex is hard to beat, For 2-3 day service, UPS usually has better prices,and for ground transportation, if it is more than a 2-3 pounds, UPS wins every time.
    For less than 3 pounds, you have to the math, at one pound USPS Priority mail wins, but after that it gets more complex.

If you are shipping outside the USA, it depends upon the destination. Fedex works very well in places that are friendly to the USA, and can be a disaster in places that aren't. For example if you want to ship to Saudi Arabia, and have it arrive on time, DHL. Fedex doesn't have a courier license into the Kingdom, and that causes massive delays this time of year (Ramadan). To unfriendly places, DHL wins hands down, although DHL is sometime referred to as
    Documents hopelessly Lost, or Don't Have it, Left it.
    The one bad apple in the whole bunch in Fedex ground/Home. Avoid those people like the plague. The only thing I ever get from them is headache.

International shiment by post usually doesn't get charge import duties or local taxes. Such shipments by UPS, DHL or Fedex always will, since they handle their own clearance, and usually charge like a wounded bull for the honor of doing so.

So far USPS hasn't let me down... yet. After all the horror stories I've heard on taxes/charges that come back to you after your package has been delivered by Fedex/UPS, it makes me think twice, cos it could all end up costing me twice as much! Approximately 10 days from the US to where I am, and no extra/hidden charges. USPS has my vote, for now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

USPS is my favorite

USPS for sure. i've never lost a package sent through USPS, and they've always come on time. the flat-rate envelopes are great. plus i don't get nailed by custom taxes like i did the last time i ordered through Fed-Ex.

Silver Moderator

Hello JonSidneyB,

My son and I do a lot of international shipping and we prefer to use EMS from the USPS. It costs a little more but offers tracking and insurance.

I had one shipment to France get stuck in customs for 2 weeks. It happens that the USPS was changing their system to have the same tracking number follow the package from drop off to delivery. My package got tied up in the change over (or at least that is what they told me). The package did arrive in good condition.

I have also utilized FedEx for overseas shipments. The cost is a bit high, but the service is excellent.

Tom

Flashaholic*

I believe it depends on where you live - that some locations have better managers and a better attitude among their people which is reflected in how they do their jobs. Or maybe you have an exceptionally competent person on your route, or a real jerk with so much seniority it's hard to fire him. Where I used to live, FedEx was 10x better than UPS, here they're the same. In both places USPS never lost anything but they always seemed to mangle it.
    I've also found my neighbor's opinions generally matched mine; which reinforces my belief it's your local delivery person that matters most.

does anyone know how much USPS adds to the cost for thier tracking option?

I got that argon ion laser via Federal Express Overnight at about 2:30pm PST today (about an hour and ten minutes ago).

It is VERY MUCH heavier and larger than I thought it was going to be. It doesn't look damaged, but I'm waiting for the power-on instructions via email before I can determine whether they handled it with kid's gloves or if they managed to bang it up enough to break it.

So far though, Federal Express has a 100% on-time and no-breakage record with me.

(Edit, 8:22pm PST same night)
    The laser works great, so they DID handle it with children's gloves. Fed Ex's record of 100% still stands! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

USPS Priority Mail is my favorite because it is the cheapest option to deliver to Hawaii. It usually takes 2 days from the West Coast and 3 days from the East Coast (not including Sundays).

Silver Moderator

Hello JonSidneyB,

It is my understanding that tracking is not available for USPS deliveries. Nor is insurance. You have to step up to Express Mail Service for those features.

Tom

Flashaholic

Alright. TIme for my rant against UPS. Alot for ppl in the States sending up to Canada.
    So, I bought a $40us charger on ebay, and it was sent to me by UPS. When it got here, I was charged $27us for brokerage fees and taxes. If it was sent USPS, it would have been 7% for taxes with a $5cdn ($3.75us) handling fee.
    Bah, a tip when sending from the States to Canada. Do your friend a favour and DON'T send UPS.

This just announced !!!!

Fed Ex and UPS will be merging!!!

The company will be named Fed-UP!

Sorry could resist
    GregR

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Deleted by Wits' End--Duplicated

Some notes regarding international(US to Japan) shipping
    from my recent experience

Fedex
    pros: very fast(2-3 days), easy to track online or by
    phone. Up to now, the Fedex people on this end seem to
    know what they are doing .
    cons: expensive (20$ from US to Japan, and you will
    receive a separate invoice for import tax and processing
    several days after delivery), no delivery during weekends
    and holidays, can't specify time of re-delivery

USPS
    pros: inexpensive (5$ for Global Express flat rate envelope,
    less than 20$ EMS with insurance), shipping time
    4 days when lucky, 10 days was so far the longest
    cons: Some point out packages going astray, but
    fortunately, it hasn't happened to me

UPS N/A

I would prefer USPS non-insured for purchases under
    50$ purely for the price (It's annoying to pay 20$ for
    10$ parts, and I could have bought another light or two
    with the money I have spent on shipping so far). Some
    senders may feel uncomfortable without the insurance?
    For pricey items though, I may choose USPS EMS or Fedex
    just for peace of mind. And finally, Fedex if I just can't
    wait to get my paws on the new toy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

USPS has always worked for me. No problems w/ the other two other than a two week lost package from UPS. They found it after I got the replacement.
    USPS offers "tracking" for about 50 cents on Priority. But it only tells you it is delivered not where it is. I always prefer insurance if possible, then if it is lost it gets paid for. I've never not gotten an insured USPS package.
    Personally as a vendor I'd offer USPS and one of the others.
    In the MN, WI area Speedy-delivery is great, Cheaper than any service (except USPS media Mail) and it is NEXT DAY.
    They might hit northern Indiana.

Flashaholic*

{begin rant}

I am beginning to detest USPS and Homeland Security. The Athlon XP2500+ Retail package that I bought via eBay on November 3rd, and was mailed on the 3rd via USPS Domestic Priority Mail, took 8-9 days to be delivered. It was delivered yesterday and postmark was 3rd. The previous record was 6 days via domestic priority and 30 days for domestic first class. All things that normally take a max of 3 days.

All this started when Mandrakesoft sent me my Powerpack Subscription cdrom set via air priority, direct from Paris, France. The US Government uses Product Profiling to supposedly catch terrorists (stupid idea). If you happen to buy a product that an actual terrorist uses, then you get investigated in secret (or so they think), and permanently placed on a list of suspected terrorists for periodic investigation. IF they would be decent enough to make a phone call, everything would be cleared up, but, NO, they can't DO that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

I don't have this problem with other carriers.

{end rant}

I only noticed cause I got a huge pile of domestic mail (no junk mail) delivered with that cdrom set. I looked at the postmarks and got suspicious. Then I had a chat with my regular mail carrier and he confirmed the product profiling. I guess I am not the only one to notice.

Silver Moderator

Hello GregR,

"FedUp"

LOL, You made my day.

Tom

Flashaholic

USPS has never jacked up anything of mine. UPS/FEDex haven't yet either...but I like getting things during a normal time during the day...not at dinner time.

Flashaholic

I usually buy digital media or computer equipment online and I always specify ground shipping, or whatever the cheapest option is. So far, I have never lost a package when using any of the shipping options. I don't have experience with international shipping since I live and buy in the US.

So far, I tend to prefer USPS for small and/or inexpensive items (which is most of what I order) since it is cheaper. Here are my thoughts (based on my experience; your results may vary):

FedEx is more expensive than UPS
    UPS roughly handles packages compared to FedEx
    FedEx has the best package tracking service
    USPS's tracking service is useless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast