Zebralight SC80 users?

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all-
Looking to get into my first ZL and like the looks and features of the SC80 as a general task light. I always carry a Surefire E1B on me in addition to a second light and am considering adding the SC80 as my second light to my EDC.

So I am really just looking for some general feedback from owners/users of this specific light. I have searched CPF and read all the threads regarding this light but they are limited. It appears that this SC80 as the latest driver/circuit and switch?

How is the durability and reliablility of ZL in general? I am well aware of some of the QC issues they have had with the 500 series of lights and water issues as well. Has ZL tightened up the designs/QC of their lights yet?

I guess I really want to make sure that before I put my $$ down, I am getting a good product and model. I am new to the flashoholic world. I have done TONS of reading on here as of late and bought a number of Fenix lights in the last month or so.

Any feedback good or bad would be much appreicated on ZL/SC80 and their current quality/design.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

Drew

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying mine for the last few months and aside from the clip I love this light.
I like the dual battery ability and the construction is very nice as far as I can tell.
I have several ZL and have not had any reliability or quality issues at all.

While the switch is recessed like the newest models I think the UI is not the newest? Unlike the SC52 it has a few less choices in levels but this is a small issue to me if at all.

I have a Solarforce heavy duty clip on mine under the tail cap and it improved the only fault I really could find with the light as designed.
I think you will like it.

The SC52 is also amazing but of course only runs on AA.

drew78

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying mine for the last few months and aside from the clip I love this light.
I like the dual battery ability and the construction is very nice as far as I can tell.
I have several ZL and have not had any reliability or quality issues at all.

While the switch is recessed like the newest models I think the UI is not the newest? Unlike the SC52 it has a few less choices in levels but this is a small issue to me if at all.

I have a Solarforce heavy duty clip on mine under the tail cap and it improved the only fault I really could find with the light as designed.
I think you will like it.

The SC52 is also amazing but of course only runs on AA.

Thanks AVService!
Any chance you have a pic of the SC80 with the clip you mention on it? Does the tail cap still seal with no water infiltration?

Drew

drew78

Newly Enlightened
I have a "Darksucks" Ti clip for my SF Fury, would that work on the SC80 too?

drew78

Newly Enlightened
Another quick question...(appologies for my frenetic method here)

I am always leary of switches as they seem to be the most failure prone part of a light. With the ZL line, the switches are integrated into the head unlike a "Clickie" that can simply be removed and replaced with a new one. Is there any feedback about the long term durability of the ZL switches?

thanks again!

BobK

Newly Enlightened
While I don't personally have the array of Zebralights that some folk on here seem to, I do have a few, and with enough variation to at least give you some info about it.

I have a SC80 and think that overall it's a pretty nice light. Well made, and likely to last a long time given the chance. One of the things that first turned me on to it was the ability to use more than one type of battery, and the design choice is rather clever. I currently use a primary CR123 in the light, but have tested it with AWrcr123, Eneloop AA, Energizer L91, and Zebralight's own 14500. They all seem to work more or less equally (note that I have not given any kind of run-time analysis to the batteries, only simple attempt to use)

The only drawback that I can see is that it is a bit bigger and heavier than the other offerings from Zebralight. The variable battery design kinda demands that, and I don't think it is too big or heavy overall, simply in comparison to their other lights (not the 18650 ones).

They (Zebralight) are supposed to be working on a SC82 (or equivalent) light, and that should be brighter, and perhaps with some other minor changes as well, so that might be better still. I know that when it is released I will be an early adopter.

As to the waterproofing of the light, I am not planning on using this or any of my other lights while diving, or for that matter swimming. However, I would not hesitate to use it in any type of weather or in some emergency situation (including under water) Most of my lights are rated to around 2 meters in depth for something like 30 minutes, but I have some understanding of ratings, seal degradation and simple deviation from specs being from general wear or abuse, so would not expect them to perform to those 2 meter specs for very long after starting to use (owning) the light. Now, if any of the lights had a rating of something like 50 or 100 meters for unlimited lengths of time, then I would truly consider them waterproof, but that's not very likely to happen.

If you are not tied to the dual size battery configuration for some reason, I actually prefer my SC52 to the SC80. It's lighter, narrower, shorter, and brighter. Also, due to the shape of the area containing the button, my thumb fits better. However, being used to the light, my thumb works it just fine. The one thing that I would refrain from with any of the Zebralights is using your thumbnail to work the switch, as it surely would cause undue wear to the boot.

Overall, I would say that it is a good light, and I am in no way having second thoughts about owning one, in fact, I have considered a second one, but will likely wait until the SC82 is available first. (simply because I already have one of the SC80's, otherwise I would jump at the chance to get one now. (having already tried it and all.))

-Bob

BobK

Newly Enlightened
Another quick question...(appologies for my frenetic method here)

I am always leary of switches as they seem to be the most failure prone part of a light. With the ZL line, the switches are integrated into the head unlike a "Clickie" that can simply be removed and replaced with a new one. Is there any feedback about the long term durability of the ZL switches?

thanks again!

Due to the fact that the switch is an electronic type and not actually switching high currents, the switch should last a long, long time. Much longer than any switch that is actually switching the type of loads that these modern flashlights use directly.

-Bob

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry no pics,I have yet to determine exactly how to post them here yet.

I think Jason told me that yes his Surefire clip will fit the light but the one I use is 1/5 the price and thus I like it for this one. It also is not a perfect fit as it overhangs the edge slightly but again it was cheap and I am happy with it.

I have had no trouble with the switch or any other ZL parts but I too have read of those who have. I have spoken to the guys at ZL in Texas and they are very friendly and candid about the reports of problems and one reason they are setting up manufacturing in the states is to be able to do work on the lights here instead of having to ship them back to China.

LEDburn

Enlightened
I have a sc80w that I pretty much only use 17500 cells in and I like it quite a fair bit.
I mean, I used to love it, it's just now I have a sc52..

Don't get me wrong though, I loved the sc80 when I carried it.
There are a number of reasons I prefer the sc52 over the sc80 and is the main reason the sc80 hasn't seen much use lately:
  • Smaller overall size and for me I prefer the feel in my hand
  • Better circuitry - lower lows which is the main thing but also loving the 500L on 14500
  • More efficient as it's actually the one with newer circuitry
  • I also prefer the looks too - having a harger head makes it easy to pull out of your pocket correctly which in turn reduces fumbling for the button to turn it on.

I guess the option to run multiple batteries is a benefit the sc80 offers which is a buying point for some people. I run 17500 so I can have full regulated output for a decent time. I get about 1hr 5mins on max. Much better than 16340s IMO.

As has been mentioned already, Zebralight are apparently releasing an updated version soon with the newer circuit. Whether they will cram an XM-L in and pump it up to 500L like thd sc52 remains to be seen. They may opt for a XP-G2 in which case I don't know how bright it could be.

Either way, I would personally check out the sc52 - warm ones should be out by late Feb - or consider waiting to see whether or not they do indeed release a newer version. SC600 has just been revamped and should be out sometime soon so seeing as everything else has been or is looking to be updated, I would say there is merit to the claims that a new one is on the way. Zebralight did confirm this themselves and someone posted it in another thread, I just don't have time to look sorry.

drew78

Newly Enlightened
I have a sc80w that I pretty much only use 17500 cells in and I like it quite a fair bit.
I mean, I used to love it, it's just now I have a sc52..

Don't get me wrong though, I loved the sc80 when I carried it.
There are a number of reasons I prefer the sc52 over the sc80 and is the main reason the sc80 hasn't seen much use lately:
  • Smaller overall size and for me I prefer the feel in my hand
  • Better circuitry - lower lows which is the main thing but also loving the 500L on 14500
  • More efficient as it's actually the one with newer circuitry
  • I also prefer the looks too - having a harger head makes it easy to pull out of your pocket correctly which in turn reduces fumbling for the button to turn it on.

I guess the option to run multiple batteries is a benefit the sc80 offers which is a buying point for some people. I run 17500 so I can have full regulated output for a decent time. I get about 1hr 5mins on max. Much better than 16340s IMO.

As has been mentioned already, Zebralight are apparently releasing an updated version soon with the newer circuit. Whether they will cram an XM-L in and pump it up to 500L like thd sc52 remains to be seen. They may opt for a XP-G2 in which case I don't know how bright it could be.

Either way, I would personally check out the sc52 - warm ones should be out by late Feb - or consider waiting to see whether or not they do indeed release a newer version. SC600 has just been revamped and should be out sometime soon so seeing as everything else has been or is looking to be updated, I would say there is merit to the claims that a new one is on the way. Zebralight did confirm this themselves and someone posted it in another thread, I just don't have time to look sorry.
Thanks LEDburn!

Ironic thing about your post is that while I just picked up an SC80 today, I have been reading and foaming at the mouth for a SC52. This place is killing me....
I an running a 123 in the 80 so far today and like it very much. The ability to run either cells was an intriquing point for me and part of what allured me to it in the first place. I figured in a pinch, it would be great to have the flexibility should the need arise. I do agree that the 80 is a bit thick. I have already placed an order for my SC52 with my local dealer today. Just have to wait for him to get his stocking shipment in from ZL. As of now, I plan to mostly run a L91 primary in the 52. I have not gotten into rechargeable batts yet and chargers but the idea of getting a 14500 sounds good to me. It appears picking a brand of battery and charger is HORRIBLY confusing and complicated. I have done tons of reading on battery brands and chargers and my head hurts. I have given up for now as I am overwhelmed with info....

Thanks for the info and the post, any additional feedback regarding the SC52 is welcomed in this thread. I guess I can give permission to hijack my own thread right?!?!

-Drew

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks LEDburn!

Ironic thing about your post is that while I just picked up an SC80 today, I have been reading and foaming at the mouth for a SC52. This place is killing me....
I an running a 123 in the 80 so far today and like it very much. The ability to run either cells was an intriquing point for me and part of what allured me to it in the first place. I figured in a pinch, it would be great to have the flexibility should the need arise. I do agree that the 80 is a bit thick. I have already placed an order for my SC52 with my local dealer today. Just have to wait for him to get his stocking shipment in from ZL. As of now, I plan to mostly run a L91 primary in the 52. I have not gotten into rechargeable batts yet and chargers but the idea of getting a 14500 sounds good to me. It appears picking a brand of battery and charger is HORRIBLY confusing and complicated. I have done tons of reading on battery brands and chargers and my head hurts. I have given up for now as I am overwhelmed with info....

Thanks for the info and the post, any additional feedback regarding the SC52 is welcomed in this thread. I guess I can give permission to hijack my own thread right?!?!

-Drew

I was in the same boat so I picked up some of the ZL batteries.
I figured how could I go wrong from the maker of the light?

So far no complaints.

Congrats on the SC80 I really like mine as I said earlier and I find the extra bulk easier to carry at times and easier to handle most times.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SC80 and have just used it around the house, so it has been "gently" used! I picked it over the SC52 because of its size and knurling on the body. The SC52 seemed a little slick. I cannot really answer your question regarding its reliability since any light used like I use this one would hold up, but I do have one minor concern. I would be somewhat concerned about its abilty to keep water from getting inside of it, if you use it outside at all. The O rings under the cap do not seem to be large enough. When you unscrew it to replace the battery you feel very little resistance and it seems like the O ring is not making firm contact with the inside of the cap. The same thing goes for the one under the head. I could be wrong as I have not read about any water proofing issues with the light.

LEDburn

Enlightened
As stated on the ZL site, their 14500 cells are just a 840mAh Sanyo cell.
There's a few other brands that offer 14500's with Sanyo guts too which can be attained through a variety of different sources.
I have been using AW cells which, compared to the 840mAh from ZL and others', only have claimed 750mAh capacity which doesn't sound like much difference, but it actually is. Some users have reported nearly 10 mins longer runtime on max meaning the difference should be more pronounced on lower levels with the Sanyo cells.

At the moment I'm tossing up between getting this pack which includes 4 x 840mAh cells and a Nitecore 4 bay charger for around $60 or skipping the charger and going for the cheaper option straight from ZL.
If you ask me, they have priced their batteries at quite a competitive price point.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt the same way which is why I ended up buying from ZL.
The Sanyo and Panasonic cells are the ones I prefer and evidential so does Panasonic since they bought Sanyos battery operations.
I have been satisfied for sure with the ZL batteries and also have a few of their 18650 for the SC600 which I also really like.