Nitecore EC25 cool white ordered...

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
$57 USD was too good to pass up. Looks like it will be a comparable replacement for my Surefire P2X Fury Tactical. Somewhere I found a rating on the Fury of 500 lm at 10500 lux. The EC25 is rated at 860 lm at 12500 lux. Basically same 34mm bezel. True the EC25 is only going to hold the 860 lm for 3 minutes at a time but the step down is 540 lm which should still compare favorably to the Fury. Plus the added benefit of 5 brightness levels, on board voltage tester, low battery indicator, two mode switch, strobe, longer run times, same UI as my TM15, and multi battery platform including protected 18650 cell. All at about half the price of the Fury. Granted the Fury is a well built light and it will continue to see use as the bedside bump in the night light. As a tactical it will fill that role admirably.

cigarbufff

Newly Enlightened
$57 USD was too good to pass up. Looks like it will be a comparable replacement for my Surefire P2X Fury Tactical. Somewhere I found a rating on the Fury of 500 lm at 10500 lux. The EC25 is rated at 860 lm at 12500 lux. Basically same 34mm bezel. True the EC25 is only going to hold the 860 lm for 3 minutes at a time but the step down is 540 lm which should still compare favorably to the Fury. Plus the added benefit of 5 brightness levels, on board voltage tester, low battery indicator, two mode switch, strobe, longer run times, same UI as my TM15, and multi battery platform including protected 18650 cell. All at about half the price of the Fury. Granted the Fury is a well built light and it will continue to see use as the bedside bump in the night light. As a tactical it will fill that role admirably.

sweet cant wait to see what u think about it

Verndog

Enlightened
I had the same damn problem, and ordered the EC25 in NW today (waiting on the EA4 also). Price is right and my EagleTac D25LC2 with it's huge gap from 10L to 400L is leaving me wanting longer running reasonable general purpose modes in the 50-200L range. The EC25 is def. a bigger light with longer throw but for the price, UI, and modes I'm thinking this is the 18650 that will REALLY get used most.

BTW...congrats! :twothumbs

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost. Even rehosted this image is over the forum maximum size of 800 X 800 pixels. – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please be careful the pocket clip doesn't pop off and poke somebody's eye out!

8275752909_b6258eec24_b.jpg

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
yeah.... I won't be using that clip. I will find some other way to attach a lanyard. Maybe a Surefire lanyard ring will work under the tailcap, or a surefire locking ring in the machined groove. Worst case I will put a black cable tie in the groove.

Verndog

Enlightened
No plans to use clip or lanyard. Lanyard is needless on a small light and just gets in my way, and likely from head size the pocket clip is near useless for me also...zipped coat pocket or inside vest if I even carry this light.

300Z

Newly Enlightened
Where did you find the EC25 for $57?
I almost ordered one today from batteryjunction for $75 earlier today...

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if that is allowed. Need to unblock your private messages.

Last edited:

Tiberius1

Newly Enlightened
I just order EC25 and I am waiting for it. I am choosing between Panasonic 2250 mAh and 3400mAH.
They bought suppose to have the same capacity up to 3.6 volts. Then 2250mAh dies and 3400mAh continues.
Does somebody know , what is a cut off voltage for EC25 ?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah so low! and to think i thought my 60 bucks shipped was a steal! hahaha :) Truth be told, these lights are waaay much lower than the retail price they are being sold. Remember the 200+ dollar TM31 was sold at a 135 price range and shipped via DHL? Imagine how low the light really cost to manufacture and package in its metal box?

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
Is this safe to run on 2 x RCR123 3.7v? According to the user manual I found online it says it is compatible. Isn't that too many volts? (7.4) Would a dummy cell be needed?

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the manual online it looks like 4.2v

From the manual:
Each time batteries are inserted or the light is put into lockout mode,
the power indicator light will blink in various patterns to indicate the
battery voltage (accurate to ±0.1V). For example, when the battery
voltage is at a maximum charge of 4.2V, the power indicator will blink 4
times in quick succession, followed by a one second pause and two
more blinks, indicating a total battery voltage of 4.2V.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much all these high output led lights run on a driver (controller circut board) that regulates the voltage to the LED's. They do not run on direct drive like a walmart 2c incandescent light. That regulation is designed to handle the input voltage and step it to what the emitters can handle. Input voltage can vary within the spec designed by the manufacturer. If it says in the manual a certain battery type are acceptable then they are acceptable.

Is there some more risk in using a pair of CR123 or RCR123 in series compared to a single 18650? Sure there is, but it isn't because of the increased voltage. It is the same issue of mismatched cells being used in any multicell series light.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one from FastTech cause I needed more 18650's (wanted) and it was about the same as illuminationSupply.

I'm hoping this'll work with my Blackjack clip for my hard hat. That's right I want an 860 lumen Hardhat light ;)
if it works that'll be awesome

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just order EC25 and I am waiting for it. I am choosing between Panasonic 2250 mAh and 3400mAH.
They bought suppose to have the same capacity up to 3.6 volts. Then 2250mAh dies and 3400mAh continues.
Does somebody know , what is a cut off voltage for EC25 ?

Itll probably cut out a 2.8 volts (haven't looked at specs) the 2250mah might not be able to power the Nitecore on turbo.
2900mah or larger is what I'd recommend