The first XML2 flashlight has been released.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, this is the first light released with the XML2.

Malkoff Devices has released the XML2 Hound Dog with 1100 Lumens OTF at turn-on, and 950 Lumens sustained output. No timed step down or anything.
Draws 1.5 amps from a 9v battery stack such as 3 x CR123 primary, or a pair of 18500.

Same physical appearance as the previous Hound Dog XML.
About 350 more lumens with a quarter-amp more current draw on the batteries.

The new LED technology is on the market NOW!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC600 MkII outputs 900 ANSI lumens with 1x 18650.

900 with 1x 18650 vs. 1100 lumens with 2x 18650??

Meh.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, with the Malkoffs, the battery stack can be configured from 2 x CR123 or 2 x 16340 or 2 x 18350 with the short MD2 body, or 3 x CR123 or 2 x 18500 with the medium MD3 body, or 4 x CR123 or 2 x 18650 with the long MD4 body.
They can be swapped at will for battery reconfiguration, depending on the needs/desires of the user.

It's not just limited to one battery size.
All Malkoffs have this similar kind of versatility built in to the design, depending on the voltage range of the head.

And naturally, since it's a Hound Dog, there's some throw in the package, which might likely be in the 30k lux range, but it hasn't been stated yet.
And as always, some really wide useful spill along with the throw, so it's like a combination flood/throw light all in one.

It's a real nice light.
I have the earlier models myself, and I'll get one of these new ones as soon as the next batch is ready.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC600 MkII outputs 900 ANSI lumens with 1x 18650.

900 with 1x 18650 vs. 1100 lumens with 2x 18650??

Meh.

xyr3A.gif

I'm stealing Selfbuilt's image here. Notice the SC600's output step-down. Gene and others have mentioned the rationale behind his battery choices, supporting up to three lithium or two Li-Ion, while working well enough on two lithium or one Li-Ion. This gives the user quite a bit of choice in size and output profile, and he's carried the same thing to the Wildcat.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, this is the first light released with the XML2.

Malkoff Devices has released the XML2 Hound Dog with 1100 Lumens OTF at turn-on, and 950 Lumens sustained output. No timed step down or anything.
Draws 1.5 amps from a 9v battery stack such as 3 x CR123 primary, or a pair of 18500.

Same physical appearance as the previous Hound Dog XML.
About 350 more lumens with a quarter-amp more current draw on the batteries.

The new LED technology is on the market NOW!

Was this release sent out via email?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L T6
XM-L U2
XM-L U3 ~ XM-L2 T6
Yes, but the T6 is not the top bin of XML2 that's out there. The XML2-U2 is out there.
Actually, the XML2-U2 would be approximately one bin higher than even the brightest of the top bin of the XML U3.
The XML2 has more than any of the previous XML, including the XML U3.
The new XML2-U2 starts off in its lowest possible end of the scale, at several lumens higher than the highest possible end of the XML-U3, and continues up to around 75 lumens higher than the highest possible XML-U3, when compared at the same temp rating.

It can get confusing because the new emitters are rated at 85 degrees C, and the previous emitters were rated at 25 degrees C.
The old emitters were rated as if they were cold in operation, and the new emitters are rated at their normal operating temperature, and there's a definite difference with that.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the new XML2, compared with the XM-L T6/U2 in throw and spill?

Because the new XML2 Hound Dog was only released yesterday, I don't think anyone has had theirs delivered yet. They are probably just now getting into the mail.

But the specs would indicate about 30% more lumens than before, and the throw will also increase to some extent because of that extra power. I don't know exactly now much throw difference, yet. Gene doesn't remark about it, but I'm sure it's there.
The old Hound Dog XML had lux somewhere north of 20k lux, and I suspect that the new HD XML2 might be up to around 30k lux, but that's just a guess.
They use the same head and reflector and bodies, so it's mostly an emitter change, but he does drive the XML2 about a quarter-amp harder.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where on the Malkoff website can this item be seen?
It's just listed as the Hound Dog XM-L now. There is no designation of XML2 written in the title right now, but it is stated in the body of the text description.
Malkoff Devices sent out an email to regular customers that this new Hound Dog is now being released with the XML2 LED in it, and the price is $20 higher than the previous price.
It's currently sold out of the first batch, but many of us are awaiting the release of the next batch, so we can get ours.

Last edited:

boef8000

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys think it's just an emitter swap, or did he really change the drive current? Maybe just variance?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know.
All we know is that the stated drive current is now 1.5 amps, and on the old one it was 1.25 amps.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just listed as the Hound Dog XM-L now. There is no designation of XML2 written in the title right now, but it is stated in the body of the text description.
Malkoff Devices sent out an email to regular customers that this new Hound Dog is now being released with the XML2 LED in it, and the price is $20 higher than the previous price.
It's currently sold out of the first batch, but many of us are awaiting the release of the next batch, so we can get ours.

Gotya, thanks.

For the price it's a bargain, as I remember distinctly when the HoundDog XML came out(late 2010, early 2011?) the price was quite a bit more than now, 244 total with an MD3 body.

moozooh

Enlightened

Can anybody explain to me how that current draw vs. OTF output stacks up at all?

This light clearly delivers 3 solid amps to the LED, since the XM-L2 datasheet puts the lumen value at 580 lm at 1.5 amps, and around 1000 lm at 3 amps. Assuming 5% loss from optics and such, this would indeed pan out to 950 OTF lm sustained, but that means it draws at least 3 amps from the battery stack, not 1.5. What am I missing?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anybody explain to me how that current draw vs. OTF output stacks up at all?

This light clearly delivers 3 solid amps to the LED, since the XM-L2 datasheet puts the lumen value at 580 lm at 1.5 amps, and around 1000 lm at 3 amps. Assuming 5% loss from optics and such, this would indeed pan out to 950 OTF lm sustained, but that means it draws at least 3 amps from the battery stack, not 1.5. What am I missing?

The LED is being fed 3 amps, but it's being fed that at approximately the forward voltage of the LED, which is ~2.8v, or maybe a little higher.
The battery components provide between 6v-9v, depending on battery type and battery state-of-charge. The 1.5 amp rating is rated at a 9v source voltage. The driver will not have to pull 3 amps from the 6v-9v battery stack to feed the LED 3a @ 2.8v. It only has to draw 1.5 amps at 9v.
That's the missing piece in your puzzle. Higher voltage source like 9v allows the same delivery of power(watts) at lower current from the battery source, but the driver then converts the power to the drive current in the design.
We always like to transmit power at the highest voltage possible, because the more current causes more heat and more losses. This higher voltage battery stack allows lower current power transfer from the battery stack to the driver with the same wattage necessary, and only convert to higher current on the driver output to the LED.

This is why you see Gene using mostly two-battery designs, because the higher voltage battery source can deliver the same watts at half the current of a single battery.
A simple way to look at it is "Double the voltage, and the current halves".

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Volts?