Eneloop for Mares Eos?

johnmar

Newly Enlightened
Hello i have a Mares Eos Pro diving torch which uses 8 1.5V Alcaline batteries and uses a 3 watt led light.
Cause normal aa alkaline batteries lose their power a little fast i am thinking of buying 8 Eneloop or Eneloop XX (and a charger of course).
Which of two do you thing is more suitable for my torch and why?
Thank you.

yliu

Enlightened
The Eneloop XX will give you longer runtimes, while it has a higher self discharge rate than the normal eneloop.

So if you use your light frequently and want better runtimes then the Eneloop XX is the way to go.
If you store the flashlight for loner periods of times, then the normal Eneloop is more suitable since it has a lower self discharge rate.

tam17

Enlightened
Avoid alkalines if possible, they have notable voltage sag and tend to leak if they're left inside the flashlight. Eneloops are way more cost-effective than alkalines in the long run (if you use your light frequently). Also note that XX Eneloops have higher capacity but significantly shorter service life (number of drain/charge cycles) than regular ones.

That's all generally speaking - check the Dive Lighting subforum for more informed input. It would be wise to contact the manufacturer and check their reccomendations.

Cheers

johnmar

Newly Enlightened
Avoid alkalines if possible, they have notable voltage sag and tend to leak if they're left inside the flashlight. Eneloops are way more cost-effective than alkalines in the long run (if you use your light frequently). Also note that XX Eneloops have higher capacity but significantly shorter service life (number of drain/charge cycles) than regular ones.

That's all generally speaking - check the Dive Lighting subforum for more informed input. It would be wise to contact the manufacturer and check their reccomendations.

Cheers
Will i have any problem with the voltage cause the torch normally works with 1.5 v?
Also i 've already contact with the manufacter a week ago but they have not answered me yet..
If the administrator 's reading he can move the thread in the dive lighting forum.
thank you.

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
Will i have any problem with the voltage cause the torch normally works with 1.5 v?

I'm sure that no damage can be done. In the worst case, flashlight won't be fully regulated (light output will diminish with voltage drop) but NiMH batteries have pretty flat discharge curve and this won't be so observable as with alkalines.

I'm not familiar with Mares flashlight product range so I can't make any claims. Perhaps someone from the diving community will chime in with precise answer to your question.

Cheers

johnmar

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the answers;)

I ΄d ask the administrator to move the thread in the Dive lighting forum

Thanks again.

johnmar

Newly Enlightened
Here is the Sanyo company answer :

Out of safety reasons we generally cannot recommend to use eneloop in waterproof equipment.

Also, there is the following description on the manual. "Batteries should not be used in underwater lighting or sealed electric device"

Any discuss about that??

Last edited: