Who has it nailed.?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right guys just take some time out and think of Flashlight Philosophy,what you buy why you buy and what you use for say EDC and perhaps for a more general purpose light.

I have said many times before that I like to buy from as many different makers as possible so I have Nitecore-Thrunite etc etc you get the picture.

Just been doing a battery check and charge on the collection and I noticed I have more Fenix than any other light so I started thinking why.

They just seem to have what i see useful in a light,right modes,decent kit,good run times.How good is the E11? my book it is a wow light.

My EDC is the old mode M-L-H ITP A3 because it suits my needs so well for work,medium start so much better for me.

Would love to see your input guys.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have everything I want yet, because I've found a nice happy place and keep talking myself out of buying new lights. But that happy place taught me that what I want is more of it, flood, ~4000-4500k color temp, 1 mode or a set and forget ring control, and 400+ lumens. Right now I usually have a malkoff M60 WLF in a cargo pocket, and use it all the time. All I want that it can't do is more lumens, and maybe an adjustable ring control, there's something to be said for simple reliability though. My next light is either going to be a malkoff MD2 with the latest M91w, or one of those sunwayman AA powered magnetic ring control lights, maybe sent off for a high CRI nichia 219 swap.

apache blue

Newly Enlightened
I think i see where this is going, if we stick to mainstream lights I agree that pound for pound fenix are a very fine brand. All of their lights are well built, a battery choice for everyone (single aaa - 4xd cell).
With that said though I don't think that there is a brand that has made waves like zebralight in as long as i remember, it seemed like they went from nowhere to massive overnight, who would have thought everyone badly needed a single aa light putting out over 200lm with any tint or beam profile you want and as low a low as anyone could need.
Then they released the sc600 which changed the game again, right now i think they have, as you say, nailed it.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I think Zebralight gets their small lights right consistently, but they're in a slightly higher segment.
For my use, the EagleTac D25A Clicky (any led, aluminum or titanium) is one of the best valued lights. Instant recommendation for anyone looking for a practical and small EDC. It's not immediately WOW-ing in output like the ZL SC52 on 14500's, but with eneloops it does last a very long time on the low modes. My main EDC (D25A Clicky in XP-G S2) is actually still on it's first charged eneloop in spite of using it almost daily since the summer.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Surefire, with their quality and two-stage switch.

Shame it's rare to find.. I only use my two-stage lights nowadays. Malkoffs in a pinch.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS clicky is the light I'm the most happy with. I've got it programmed to start at 3L and from there I can go to 0.07L, 33L, or 100L (never used except to check the battery). The UI as I've programmed it lets me set whatever level I want before the light is even completely out of the holster. 100% predictable and an absolute pleasure to use. My only complaint is that Henry hasn't made a 1xAA version.

Shiningbeam has also nailed it with his (now discontinued) L-mini II: simple L-M-H sequence with mode memory so it will start wherever I left it. For my own use, I would prefer that it always started at L (or maybe had a way to program which mode was the start mode), but memory is handy when I'm loaning the light to someone and can simply set the level they need. Saddly, I think I lost my L-mini II recently. Perhaps it's time to pick up a S-mini (or whatever replaced the L-mini).

I'm also a big fan of single mode beater lights with forward clicky. I often EDC an Energizer "Tactical" AA light since it's a nice size, has a solid clip, and puts out 30-ish lumens which is more than I need for most EDC uses.

Zebralight's UI seems good in theory, but in practice, I find it too fiddly. Because of this, I EDC my SC51 only as last resort. Also, the SC51 has annoying PWM on two of its levels, but I understand that more recent models are completely current controlled.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Who has it nailed?

Probably no great surprise to those here to see my vote for Peak :D

Super-simple, tough, and reliable. Runs on just about any power source (in battery form) imaginable. Visually appealing, in their no-nonsense functional aesthetic. Available in brass, though, if you want to add a little flair, lol.

On the high-end ... McGizmo. Elevates the functional to the artistic. Both of these makers just have the sense that these torches are tools, and not about "bells-&-whistles" features.

I feel like I really missed out by not being around during the Aleph era, since that might have combined some of the desirable traits of them both for me ... modularity, flexibility, customization (and at prices that were a bit more affordable) :eek:

Last edited:

Inline6Silvia

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the flashlight world (I can already see that buying flashlights will be a problem for my bank account) and recently decided to pick up a flashlight for EDC. I chose the Streamlight Microstream because of a couple reasons. The price, size, and tail clicky were big factors. However I have a Streamlight TLR-1 hanging off my night stand gun and it has been a great light. I figured I would stick to Streamlight since my TLR-1 has been good to me. I know there is other manufacturers out there who probably make better lights but I decide to give the Microstream a try. TBH the Microstream in just 2 short weeks has become my favorite item in my EDC next to my phone. It really surprised me how much light the little thing puts out. It also really surprised me how often I use it. I never even thought about adding a light to my EDC until 2 weeks ago. The light even convinced to of my friend's who did not see a need to carry a EDC light to order themselves Microstreams. I've only had one disappoint since the Microstream has come into my possession. My buddy and I wanted to try 10440 batteries after reading up on them and watching Patriot's youtube video. I ordered for 4 ultrafires (the same as patriot used) and 2 chargers. They arrived and we are super excited to try them out. We charge up all four cells and put them in our lights. The lights won't power up. We put the regular energizers in and they power up fine. Talk about disappointment.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC, I like the Oveready TorchLab Pocket Triple. Tons of output on max, and some decent spacing for medium and low. I'm not wild about clicking thru the modes to get the mode I want, but it is a common UI that I can live with, considering the rest of the strengths of the light, and the very small size and ouput levels.
It's a great light because it has the output of a large light in the package of an EDC. If you carry one of these, you can probably skip bringing a holster light unless you need long run times. It's more powerful than most holster lights, but the run time is not long.

For the general purpose belt/holster type light, the Malkoff Wildcat and Hound Dog have it nailed.
Superb in every way, and a perfect tactical UI that allows selection of Hi or Lo before turn on, or after turn on. No-nonsense lights that perform the best in class, and are legendary for rugged reliability. On an overall scale, they are the best lights on the market, and a bargain for their price, IMO.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to the flashlight world (I can already see that buying flashlights will be a problem for my bank account) and recently decided to pick up a flashlight for EDC. I chose the Streamlight Microstream because of a couple reasons. The price, size, and tail clicky were big factors. However I have a Streamlight TLR-1 hanging off my night stand gun and it has been a great light. I figured I would stick to Streamlight since my TLR-1 has been good to me. I know there is other manufacturers out there who probably make better lights but I decide to give the Microstream a try. TBH the Microstream in just 2 short weeks has become my favorite item in my EDC next to my phone. It really surprised me how much light the little thing puts out. It also really surprised me how often I use it. I never even thought about adding a light to my EDC until 2 weeks ago. The light even convinced to of my friend's who did not see a need to carry a EDC light to order themselves Microstreams. I've only had one disappoint since the Microstream has come into my possession. My buddy and I wanted to try 10440 batteries after reading up on them and watching Patriot's youtube video. I ordered for 4 ultrafires (the same as patriot used) and 2 chargers. They arrived and we are super excited to try them out. We charge up all four cells and put them in our lights. The lights won't power up. We put the regular energizers in and they power up fine. Talk about disappointment.

I have something also which is very odd.I have a budget big shed light 3 modes 85 Lumens on a AA and it will not work at all on Eneloops,other makes no problem but not on an Eneloop.