Will this work ??

sparky12

Newly Enlightened
Hello people of CPF Happy new year to all.

I have 5 4D maglites, 1 was a gift to my MUM some years back, which she has asked me to make it brighter. So I made up a battery pack from 2 Lifepo4 batteries http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Lithium_Ion_2300mAh_Single_Cell_Battery.html giving 6.6volts

put in a Terralux LED 140Lum, but still not happy.

So after some reading and reading I was going to put a XM-L t6 from DX with this driver http://dx.com/p/3-6v-9v-800ma-regulated-ic-circuit-board-for-cree-and-ssc-leds-4-pack-3256. This should give me about 350 lum, double the Terralux 140 lum. Are my estimates right?
I have got a heat sink tuned up by a fitter at work.

This will be my first real mod, with some mentoring by CPF I hope to be doing all of them and by the sounds of it addiction will ensue.

sparky12

Newly Enlightened
Well after some more reading and some research this is like taking a V8 super car to a dodgem track it seems the driver is under powered for this emitter. I would say SKU: 26110 would be a better fit. Am i on the right track anyone? :wave:

Tiresius

Enlightened
Try the NANJG 7AMC driver. It's 2.8a and you'll get tons of power out of it. It's also a 3-mode driver so you can sit it at 1a if it gets too hot or want longer run times.

sparky12

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tiresius thanks for the help, Which supplier do you get them from? I pasted "NANJG 7AMC driver" into google and got "Your search - NANJG 7AMC driver - did not match any documents." So I am a bit stuck, seen a few at 2.8a but not in 3 mode in DX. Or input voltage over 4.2v.

yazovyet

Enlightened
Drivers based on the amc 7135 are not rated to have an input voltage over 6 volts. Even if you used a 7135 driver and it didn't burn out instantly due to over voltage it would be VERY inefficient (50% or so) and create so much heat it would be likly to burn out in the short to long run.