Supbeam L15 Tactical Flashlight Review

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
for submission in the Reviews forum...

15zlavd.jpg

Durable Strong Reliable. These three words appear on the boxes of Thrunite flashlights and interestingly enough the same 3 words are printed on Supbeam's as well. Could it be coincidence? Or could it be that Supbeam is the OEM for Thrunite products? One only has to notice the similarities between Supbeam's K40 and Thrunite's TN31 for one to make up his own mind :)

205r4zm.jpg

11v4knm.jpg

The subject of this review obviously enough is a "tactical" flashlight in the usual configuration, which means a 1" body for ease of mounting on firearms, a protruding forward-clicky switch, and a tactical grip ring which on the L15 is aluminum instead of plastic like on some other lights. A lanyard, stainless steel pocket clip, spare boot, spare o-rings, and holster are included in the package. It uses a Cree XM-L and uses one 18650 or two CR123/16340.

bi9phh.jpg

nlyc9j.jpg

Build quality is excellent and unsurprisingly similar to Thrunite's :) The ACME threads (aka "trapezoidal-cut") are very smooth. But note that the threads inside the tailcap are NOT anodized!

2qm3zio.jpg

Here's a size comparison. L15 head diameter is 41mm which makes it a bit bigger than most tactical lights but also gives it better throw than the competition. Indeed it throws better than the Nitecore MT26. More on that in a moment.

The UI works exactly like the Thrunite T30: when the flashlight is ON, loosen then tighten the head to move to the next mode. Current mode is memorized (including strobe). Doing this while the flashlight is OFF has no effect which means that it won't accidentally change modes while being tossed around in your bag, for example. Sequence is: Moonlight -> Low -> Medium -> High -> Strobe

Which brings us to what I like so much about this flashlight, the brightness level spacings!

2cymucy.jpg

2keluv.jpg

23mrfde.jpg

8x0j2c.jpg

Not only do you get MOONLIGHT you also get a nice LOW mode! And no visible PWM! Here are some beamshots relative to a well-known light the Quark QTA:

23rp8uh.jpg

30v0juh.jpg

More beamshots!

143metv.jpg

3495hg7.jpg

2mo5q3k.jpg

2a50kz5.jpg

5c0q6r.jpg

Another thing I like about this flashlight is the step-down! It is undetectable during normal use. Supbeam states a stepdown after 10 minutes to 85%. A stark contrast to the Nitecore MT26 which has a massive, very noticeable, stepdown in just 3 very short minutes!

To conclude, IMHO this is an excellent flashlight with very versatile brightness levels. Moonlight mode is very similar to the moonlight from a Quark QTA, which means sufficient illumination to navigate with in the dark. Supbeam states a runtime of 27 days on moonlight mode.

At the top end Supbeam states a max of 815 lumens which seems believable judging from the beamshots. And to reiterate, the stepdown is very mild and gives you full power for a whole ten minutes, sufficient time to complete tasks requiring a flashlight like the L15. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Dubois

Enlightened
Nice review, thanks. I haven't seen the Supbeam lights anywhere apart from the manufacturer (or neonlaserchina.com) - can you tell us the price? Also, will you be reviewing the L25 next? Can't think where I've seen something similar.:)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, thanks. I haven't seen the Supbeam lights anywhere apart from the manufacturer (or neonlaserchina.com) - can you tell us the price? Also, will you be reviewing the L25 next? Can't think where I've seen something similar.:)

yeah availability could be iffy right now but i'm sure supbeam is working on it. i could tell you the price but it wouldn't be relevant to someone who wishes to purchase only 1 unit

yep might review the L25S next. but then again you could just look for a thrunite TN11S review, they're both wearing the exact same tail cap w/ side button :) but of course L25S throws much better :)

Last edited: