HID to LED conversion help needed

davisdesigns

Newly Enlightened
We have some optical sorting equipment that uses 8x CDM-T 70w/942 6600Lm (CDM70/T6/942) 92 Lm/w 4200K 12,000Hr life.
Each bulb is driven by a Magnetek HBTC-170/230 driver.

I'm looking to convert over to LED's to reduce electrical consumption and heat. What would you suggest an array or individual LED's, Power supply? I must stick with the 4200K color temp and have a total of 26,400Lm per bank 2 banks total.
There is ample room to work with, about 29" in length 9" in width and varying head room 8"+ There is also a air cooling system in the unit.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions and what not selecting the best LED's and drivers for this application.

Also, I do have an electronics background so assembly of discreet components isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

SemiMan

Banned
We have some optical sorting equipment that uses 8x CDM-T 70w/942 6600Lm (CDM70/T6/942) 92 Lm/w 4200K 12,000Hr life.
Each bulb is driven by a Magnetek HBTC-170/230 driver.

I'm looking to convert over to LED's to reduce electrical consumption and heat. What would you suggest an array or individual LED's, Power supply? I must stick with the 4200K color temp and have a total of 26,400Lm per bank 2 banks total.
There is ample room to work with, about 29" in length 9" in width and varying head room 8"+ There is also a air cooling system in the unit.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions and what not selecting the best LED's and drivers for this application.

Also, I do have an electronics background so assembly of discreet components isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Is the optical sorting equipment based only on shape or shape and color?

If it is shape and color, then you may run into issues with LEDs with their different spectrum unless there are good options in the equipment for recalibration of your approved masters.

If is shape, just make sure you are matching the optical qualities whether that is directionality or diffusion such that edge detection needed for shape detection is not impacted.

Easiest would be to use 8 Bridgelux 4000K arrays. You should be able to get 4000K in the 5000-6000 lumen range. The HID output declines fairly fast so even if they start out at 6600 they are a lot less when at the end of life. The Bridgelux should give you 50000-60000 hours with >70%output.

I am not sure how much power savings you are going to see though, perhaps 20-30% unless you have some optical advantages. You will have better control over where that heat goes.

Semiman

davisdesigns

Newly Enlightened
Is the optical sorting equipment based only on shape or shape and color?

If it is shape and color, then you may run into issues with LEDs with their different spectrum unless there are good options in the equipment for recalibration of your approved masters.

If is shape, just make sure you are matching the optical qualities whether that is directionality or diffusion such that edge detection needed for shape detection is not impacted.

Easiest would be to use 8 Bridgelux 4000K arrays. You should be able to get 4000K in the 5000-6000 lumen range. The HID output declines fairly fast so even if they start out at 6600 they are a lot less when at the end of life. The Bridgelux should give you 50000-60000 hours with >70%output.

I am not sure how much power savings you are going to see though, perhaps 20-30% unless you have some optical advantages. You will have better control over where that heat goes.

Semiman

The sorting equipment is both shape and color, we rarely have a use for shape sorting though. We use KEY technologies Optyx. I believe it has enough adjustability to compensate for a slight color change.

I wanted to stay close to the existing color temp to reduce the amount of reprogramming of the system.

One thing that concerns me is the driver, don't most drivers use current limiting circuit that turns the LED on and off at a high rate, Do you think this will be an issue with the cameras? Similar to seeing the refresh rate on a monitor or TV in a photo or video, the horizontal lines.

There is also a minimum distance from light window to belt surface of 9" and the existing mounting surface is about 12" which I would like to utilize for the LED's. I am concerned that a flood type lens will be necessary with using only 8 high power LED's compared to using say 30 lower power ones (parasitically Cree's 200Lm/w MK-R) so the light would be more evenly spread across the belt without the need of lenses.

Also is there a particular reason on choosing Bridgelux over Cree, Cree seems to be half the cost.

Thank you for your help