almost ready for a Malkoff...

k12cop

Newly Enlightened
I got a drop in (xpg) for my 4d mag and was blown away...now I'm thinking a turnkey md2...this would be a duty light (currently running shiningbeam blaze) so I'm curious what you guys think...I'm right on the edge, just need a little push...

Anyone running one if these in police, fire, rescue duty? How's it holding up? Any issues?

Norm

Retired Administrator
I can assure you there's no need to wait, I ordered one and am now waiting on my third, also bought a Hound Dog between MD2s.
I have seen posts from First Responders who seem very pleased with their MD2s.

They are built to handle the rough going, the two speed ring is the perfect UI solution IMHO.

Norm

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using mine, MD2 w/M61w drop in, for a few months and I'm happy with it. It's a good size, belt or pocket carry is fine, and the many different configurations for the battery options and drop ins make it versatile. I'm running mine with 18650s and I'm pleased with both the output and runtime. It's been banged around a bit over the last few months and other then cosmetic damage I've had no issues. The M61w drop in has a nice wide beam which is pretty useful and bright enough however if your looking for a light with lots of throw this isn't it. While not listed on the malkoff site there is now a M61n which boasts more lumens, 300 vs 200, over the M61w while runtimes and voltage range stays the same, I wish it was available when i brought mine. The high/low ring is nice, I personally don't use it a lot, but its nice to have and seems to be pretty robust. The knurling on the body is fine but personally I would prefer it to be more aggressive and the body has no anti-roll feature other then installing the factory clip which has been out of stock for a while, however some rubber bands around the bezel is a quick fix. Overall it's good, you'll be happy with it. good luck.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Turn-Key MD2 is a good way to start into Malkoffs, but I think it's worth it to get the Turn-Key with Hi/Lo switch model.
Not everybody agrees with me on that, but I like to have 2 brightness modes, with one for close-up work and the other for a little further out.

I agree that the M61 is not a big thrower at all, but it's a good general purpose beam.

It is possible to just assemble the light yourself, and get the parts you want. If you want more output and throw, there is no reason that you couldn't order the M61SHO with the XPG2 emitter, and have 400+ lumens with much better throw, and then also order the MD2 host and a Hi/Lo ring and a lens kit, and put it together. It will work fine with a pair of RCR123, or you could even get the MD3 body and use a pair of 18500, which would be my choice, or 3 CR123 primaries if you want. The 2 CR123 primaries in the MD2 might be a tad below the ideal voltage range for the SHO, so a pair of Li-ion rechargeables would be better for that particular hi-output drop-in. Preferably a pair of 18500 in an MD3, for better run time while not getting too long in the body.
It's easy to do, and you can get accustomed to doing the configurations, so that later on when you want to try a different drop-in, you'll be fully aware about how it all goes together. This stuff is made to "Lego" parts interchangeably, so it's not difficult to put one together.

There are a whole lot of options and tints to choose from, and flooders and throwers, and the same bodies and tails can even be used with the big Malkoff heads such as the Wildcat or Hound Dog, as long as you get batteries in there that are the correct voltage for the application. It's all a system that interchanges and gives great versatility.

Last edited:

Raze

Enlightened
Malkoff flashlights are a must-have. IMHO you can pretty much find that anyone or everyone here find it hard to fault Malkoff's devices.

Being American made is a huge bonus to those that take pride in things made Stateside.

Even my non-flashlight-enthusiast girlfriend loves the Hot Pink MD2 I got her. Running an M61, it served her well during a blackout. The light tail stands for ceiling bounce and she said that it was very bright. It stays under her pillow, and that gives me great comfort knowing that she has a truly reliable flashlight in case she needs one.

So fret not and do not hesitate to get Malkoff's flashlights. Any of them.

Though, keep a lookout for the MDC.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I would say the high/low turnkey or an MD2 with an M61L for a good balance of runtime and brightness. Can't go wrong with any Malkoff. :)

k12cop

Newly Enlightened
Ordered the turnkey md2 today...wanted the high low switch but that model was out if stock, beck, the one I got was next to last left...guess I can always her the high low switch by itself later on...

k12cop

Newly Enlightened
Received my light today...almost perfect...when I get high low switch it will be perfect...thing is built like a tank.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Malkoff Hi/Lo user interface is the best of all systems. You can select the brightness mode before you turn the light on, or after you turn it on. You can use the tailswitch for momentary activation in either Hi or Lo mode. The On/Off/Momentary functions at the tailswitch are completely separated from the Hi/Lo mode switching functions on the head, so there is never any unwanted or accidental stuff going on. You always know what the light is going to do. There is never any confusion about it, and you can check it prior to turning it on, in case you forgot what mode you left it on.
It has enough versatility to give you a Low mode that's good for in the car or close range work, and a good High mode for neighborhood searching.
And it is the most rock solid light you are going to find, in terms of reliability and ruggedness.

You have bought a great light there.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
on the site now. thanks.

I think the Malkoff Hi/Lo user interface is the best of all systems. You can select the brightness mode before you turn the light on, or after you turn it on. You can use the tailswitch for momentary activation in either Hi or Lo mode. The On/Off/Momentary functions at the tailswitch are completely separated from the Hi/Lo mode switching functions on the head, so there is never any unwanted or accidental stuff going on. You always know what the light is going to do. There is never any confusion about it, and you can check it prior to turning it on, in case you forgot what mode you left it on.
It has enough versatility to give you a Low mode that's good for in the car or close range work, and a good High mode for neighborhood searching.
And it is the most rock solid light you are going to find, in terms of reliability and ruggedness.

You have bought a great light there.