Luxeon III -- Definitive Brightness Test

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I'm sure you recall the big Mag 3D that I made for my neighbor using the SWAK-binned Luxeon III, that went up to 11,530 lux. But what about the Mag 2D w/3C adapter running a Q3J-binned 1W that "only" made 7,730 lux?

Hint -- it's the one in the middle:

SWAK%20Mag%203D%20Line.jpg

Despite slightly less current due to using C cells vs. D cells, shouldn't it still reach similar brightness levels if it used a Luxeon II as well?

Speaking of wells, well tonight I beheaded that little Q3J 1W from its Mag 2D/3C host and in its place installed another SWAK-binned Luxeon III, just so that

1) he could be more like his brother, and

2) to see if it got any brighter than 7,730 lux, plus

3) the 3D brother is now with my neighbor and I don't have one to throw its beam weight around any more!

After the transplant, I stuck three fresh alkaline C's back inside and did another light meter test:

Spike%20Lux.jpg

That's right, 10,610 lux!

This means that, in Mags overdriven to near-1.5A levels using the Luxeon III examples that I have personally tested at least, these Luxeon III's are indeed brighter than the Luxeon 1 watts.

Now all we need is for some brave soul (not I, they're too precious!) to cut one open and microscopically measure and analyze the parts/chemical makeup of the III to detect any discernible differences that are enabling these III's to do what they seem to do best -- be brighter!

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR Bulk, have you ever tested an R ranked 1W in a 3D or 3C mag? I'm curious if the slight increase in potential output would push the R ranked 1 watt closer to the magic 10K Lux mark...

Jon

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard people compare swak's to q's and twak's to R's.. So I'd say this still significant news/findings here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, nothing beats real world testing. This is becoming a really interesting hobby even though I don't have much of an electronics background. I guess some of this knowledge will eventually creep into my subconscious.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Jon, wish I had an "R" to compare, but only have Q's. Still, the difference in brightness is indeed remarkable, there must truly be SOMEthing different inside the III's...

Ike and Keith, thank you kindly.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder what a Cyan LuxIII would do in mag reflector DD on 3D's?
If 5W white is around 7,000 lux and then a 5W Cyan is around 12,000 lux in mag reflectors, then I wonder what the CyanIII would be? 15,000 lux!?!?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
True Ike, I think you got something there. With me though, after I played around with really strong Cyan configs I found myself seeing red, literally, after shutting the lights down. I think the Cyan, not to mention certain other colors (Royla Blue for one), does things not entirely good to one's eyes...mine ached after less than a minute just looking through a dark room using a 5W RB.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but they are so fun to make such a bright solid color of even light. Great for blasting afar and making people think aliens have landed! Novelty they are, but that's what makes em fun! I'd use it outside, not in. That's just asking for eye-strain! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Well then, if you send me the Luxeon color of your choice I'd be glad to make you one (but other than turning it on to make sure it worked, I would not test it any further myself!!!).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahah MrBulk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Scared of a mod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif Just wear some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif's hehe. Just as long as you aren't scared to mod is all that matters I guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you think a person can tell the difference between 12,000 lux and 15,000 lux? I don't know if light perception is linear or an exponential response...?