My head is spinning! Somebody please help!

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
And please guys, let's keep this simple...as Forrest Gump would say, I'm not a very smart man.

Please school me. I just bought a Surefire G3 with the ol' P60L lamp. I want to change it out to an LED drop in with around 400 - 500 lumens, but there are a gozillion different makes and brands out there. I've never owned a drop in lamp before and I don't know anything about any of them.

Being a police officer, price is a factor as well. Also, I have an account at Amazon which makes it easier for me than to come up with cash to buy a drop in. So yeah, whatever Amazon has that's good and the cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance. :wave:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a G3 with a high output drop-in, you need to use the Z44 aluminum bezel(head) to handle the heat. You'll also need the lens kit, o-ring, and bezel ring of your choice. Oveready has them, and sometimes you can get them on the CPF Marketplace used.
The issue with the polymer heads is that they don't conduct the heat well, and so they can only be used with low output drop-ins that are well below the output level that you stated.

Then, pretty much any P60 drop-in will work. I like Malkoff, and the M61SHO is a great one at that output level with the latest XPG2 emitter, and great thermal performance. It will run on the 3 x CR123 lithium primaries(SureFire 123 or equivalent) that go in the G3.
Another option would be the Malkoff M91A, which is an XML emitter that gives 750 lumens output, and it will also run on the 3 x CR123 lithium primary batteries that fit in the G3.

Many drop-ins are good, and I don't want to rate them, other than to say that the Malkoff drop-ins are extremely highly-regarded and made for police-type ruggedness, and you will not go wrong with a Malkoff drop-in.

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
For a G3 with a high output drop-in, you need to use the Z44 aluminum bezel(head) to handle the heat. You'll also need the lens kit, o-ring, and bezel ring of your choice. Oveready has them, and sometimes you can get them on the CPF Marketplace used.
The issue with the polymer heads is that they don't conduct the heat well, and so they can only be used with low output drop-ins that are well below the output level that you stated.

Then, pretty much any P60 drop-in will work. I like Malkoff, and the M61SHO is a great one at that output level with the latest XPG2 emitter, and great thermal performance. It will run on the 3 x CR123 lithium primaries(SureFire 123 or equivalent) that go in the G3.
Another option would be the Malkoff M91A, which is an XML emitter that gives 750 lumens output, and it will also run on the 3 x CR123 lithium primary batteries that fit in the G3.

Many drop-ins are good, and I don't want to rate them, other than to say that the Malkoff drop-ins are extremely highly-regarded and made for police-type ruggedness, and you will not go wrong with a Malkoff drop-in.

The one I have has the aluminum bezel. Does the lens and O rings still need to be replaced? Or are they standard in the aluminum bezels.

How 'bout this one. It kinda caught my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058E8HYE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I have has the aluminum bezel. Does the lens and O rings still need to be replaced? Or are they standard in the aluminum bezels.

How 'bout this one. It kinda caught my eye.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058E8HYE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

If you already have the Z44 bezel complete with the lens and ring and stuff, then you can use all of that.
You just need the drop-in then.

That drop-in on the link you provided would not be anything I'd recommend. First of all, it's a no-name chinese thing that is already lying about the output rating, so I don't think I'd be looking at that one.

I'd recommend something that somebody has heard of.
Like a Malkoff.

Sure, you can put chinese junk in there, but why??
Supposedly this is for police use that might have your life depending on it, right?
Do you want to put worthless Chinese junk in it?

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
If you already have the Z44 bezel complete with the lens and ring and stuff, then you can use all of that.
You just need the drop-in then.

That drop-in on the link you provided would not be anything I'd recommend. First of all, it's a no-name chinese thing that is already lying about the output rating, so I don't think I'd be looking at that one.

I'd recommend something that somebody has heard of.
Like a Malkoff.

Sure, you can put chinese junk in there, but why??
Supposedly this is for police use that might have your life depending on it, right?
Do you want to put worthless Chinese junk in it?

Good point.

So which Malkoff do you recommend?

scout24

Flashaholic
The newer XP-G2 M61 is spec'd at 300 otf lumens, and will run on 3 primary 123's or 2x17500's in your G3. The metal head makes it okay for continuous run as well. 300 is big light, and Malkoff's durability is legendary. For $69.00, if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you... :)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point.

So which Malkoff do you recommend?

For the 400+ lumen range, the M61SHO is a top-grade design, with the latest up-to-the-minute XPG2 emitter with good throw and output that is powerful enough to be really wanting that 3-battery configuration in your G3.
The other great choice, with a bit less throw, but more flood, and a lot more overall lumens, is the M91A with 750 lumens and an XML emitter. This is also powerful enough to really want that 3-battery configuration in your G3. These are the two most powerful drop-ins that Malkoff makes, and he recommends that they be used in the 3-battery layouts like the G3 because they have enough battery power to run these high output lights.

If you go to the Malkoff site and read about their drop-ins here:
M61 page:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/...f-m61s-to-fit-surefire-malkoff-c-1_14_18.html

M91 page:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/...f-m91s-to-fit-surefire-malkoff-c-1_14_36.html

These cost more than that thing on Amazon, but the quality difference is night and day, and these are US-made, and the some of the best you can buy anywhere, with the highest reputation in the industry.

scout24

Flashaholic
The caveat with the M91 is that it's only okay for 5 minute bursts in plastic lights, even with the metal head. Longer runs are okay only in all-metal lights. The M61 SHO is only rated at 385 lumens, and not worth the trade off in runtime, in my humble opinion. 85 lumens isn't that big a difference, and the added runtime can be make or break when needed.

I fully agree that there are no better dropins made, and they will serve admirably. I own about a half-dozen in various hosts, both G series and P series. Love 'em all... :)

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Agree with Scout here- The Malkoff M61 (standard, not SHO) buy one and never look back; especially now that it also has the XP-G2... There's a big reason why they're so highly regarded here on CPF, and that's Gene Malkoff himself. One of the best, made in America drop-ins around.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can go along with the M61 recommendation.
300 lumens is a good amount of output.

Glock 'em down

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everybody's input on this. I'm no rookie when it comes to Surefire and their awesome lights, but I truly am a newb when it comes to drop-ins. I've always owned just plain ol' SF factory stuff and was actually thinking about going with one of the "new" G2X Tacticals with the 320 lumens upgrade, but with my big ol' gorilla hands, I prefer the longer length of the three cell lights like the G3 and 9P.

I think I'll give the M61 a try. I agree with scout that the extra 85 lumens isn't worth the 45 minutes run time of the M61SHO. 300 lumens for 2 hours sounds good to me.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah since it's a G3, I think the best suggestions have already been made, I'm not an expert in malkoff dropins but I own two and love them. The warranty is awesome too